Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if the AFL will bring out an Approved List of Sledge words? Or is it no sledging anymore full stop?

Could we be in fact conditioned for Performing robots next? ;)

Just out of curiosity, would you get banned if players call someone a Ranga or Fanta now? I have no idea, can of worms, or can of words...

On X someone pointed out the best option would be to call your opponent an F-wit - not much can be done about that

This makes me more annoyed we lost to them last week especially with thier shitty forward-line.

We really were very poor last week. Not helped by the stupid decision to rest O'Connor and Parf. Forward wise Melbourne are absolutely horrible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This whole issue is unsettling.

Firstly ... I cant see how you use any language on field (this type of language) if its not a part of your regular vocabulary. Even if used in jest or between like minded commrades. Id have thought that certain langauge was just placed in the same box as Gollywog dolls and "f**" the cigarette lollies that used to be around when I was a kid. Right or wrong like it or not ..its just condemned to be something from the past. I question the language that certain people must still be using. We are talking about men that are being brought up in the 2000's. Its stupefying.

Second. I really dislike the concept of being punished for something that is not made public. As if its so bad that we best not even utter the word like it something from a Harry Potter story. We are gong down the route of some sort of "star chamber" when secrecy and jurisprudence merge , and only certain in the know important people say we the important judges announce that this or that is so bad and the punishment is this or that and yet we cant tell everyone else what was said "because" . Just trust us . The punishment was just. It was a vile crime and we know that because we know what was said and you dont ..etc.

So now we see someone getting 5 weeks for saying something that might hurt someones feelings ..and meanwhile a Collingwood player just got 1 week for whacking someone in the back of the head that probably physically hurt someone. A GWS player that just got three weeks for concussing someone. Is this all fair and appropriate? How would we know as the 5 week offence is so bad it cant be reported.

I'm not sure there's any learning in it for other people. He's young, so perhaps even other young people could see what's not appropriate. We can guess a number of slurs or one word homophobic taunting, but unless his insult is made a little clearer, or even hinted at, or perhaps passed on to other Clubs, it's all kept in a secretive bubble. They must have thought it doesn't bear repeating, so if only two people overheard him, I'm not sure what a public apology achieves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back