Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone else get some footy fatigue this time of year? Two months into the season of over-the-top footy coverage, I find myself switching off the various programs and just watching the games and then getting back into the TV shows again closer to the finals. This is why I think the byes shouldn't be staggered. Have a week off for everyone, including us fans. We need a break from it, too.

Does anyone else get some footy fatigue this time of year? Two months into the season of over-the-top footy coverage, I find myself switching off the various programs and just watching the games and then getting back into the TV shows again closer to the finals. This is why I think the byes shouldn't be staggered. Have a week off for everyone, including us fans. We need a break from it, too.
I only watch the games that interest me and I don't bother with the talk shows anymore.

Re: the bolder section:

Why does this make you feel better? I genuinely don’t understand why, and no one seems to want to answer why a detailed injury report is of any benefit to anyone. Beyond the obvious reasons of gambling of course.
It does make water cooler chat more accurate but possibly less entertaining

I only watch the games that interest me and I don't bother with the talk shows anymore.

Same

I watch when Geelong's playing, and maybe check the other games at times but rarely would I watch a full match in which we're not involved

I also can't tell you the last time i watched a full footy show - the odd segment, especially if it's to do with Geelong but otherwise I couldn't be bothered

Finlayson = bad
Next player = did you not pay attention to the Finlayson ban... You can have a longer holiday

Finlayson = bad
Next player = did you not pay attention to the Finlayson ban... You can have a longer holiday

It's pretty sad that the sanction sizes are in the reverse order the person's standing in the game

Powell
Finlayson
Clarkson

Finlayson = bad

Will Power should ask to be traded to GWS.

In all seriousness, well done AFL for making this a serious issue. When you have an entire LGA banning a book on same sex parenting from libraries, it shows what the LGBTQI+ community has to deal with on a daily basis. The AFL sending a clear message of where they stand on the issue is important and impactful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finlayson = bad

This whole issue is unsettling.

Firstly ... I cant see how you use any language on field (this type of language) if its not a part of your regular vocabulary. Even if used in jest or between like minded commrades. Id have thought that certain langauge was just placed in the same box as Gollywog dolls and "f**" the cigarette lollies that used to be around when I was a kid. Right or wrong like it or not ..its just condemned to be something from the past. I question the language that certain people must still be using. We are talking about men that are being brought up in the 2000's. Its stupefying.

Second. I really dislike the concept of being punished for something that is not made public. As if its so bad that we best not even utter the word like it something from a Harry Potter story. We are gong down the route of some sort of "star chamber" when secrecy and jurisprudence merge , and only certain in the know important people say we the important judges announce that this or that is so bad and the punishment is this or that and yet we cant tell everyone else what was said "because" . Just trust us . The punishment was just. It was a vile crime and we know that because we know what was said and you dont ..etc.

So now we see someone getting 5 weeks for saying something that might hurt someones feelings ..and meanwhile a Collingwood player just got 1 week for whacking someone in the back of the head that probably physically hurt someone. A GWS player that just got three weeks for concussing someone. Is this all fair and appropriate? How would we know as the 5 week offence is so bad it cant be reported.

Tonights game Melb v Carlton should be a really good game and am looking forward to watching it

Dees $1.80 Blues $2 , i reckon that is about right , i think Melb are slightly more talented team , however 3-4 weeks back the Lions put the cleaners through Melb at the MCG , so Carlton tonight have got a genuine chance to win , i did think the Blues were terribly dissappointing against the Magpies , that scoreboard final score flattered them greatly

S May v C Curnow , last 2 meetings May has absolutely killed him , beaten him pointless , so that duel tonight will be well worth watching

Thinking maths isn't Yze's strong suit

At a press conference today it seems he was asked about the Bulldogs and the pressure on both them & Beveridge

As he correctly pointed out, the Bulldogs have won more matches than Richmond this season. And then he started talking more specifically about Beveridge when he said,

"Not many teams have won a flag in the last 5 years, and he's one of them"

???

Hate to tell him, but Beveridge isn't a premiership coach from the last 5 years - they won the flag in 2016 which is coming up on 8 years...

Firstly ... I cant see how you use any language on field (this type of language) if its not a part of your regular vocabulary. Even if used in jest or between like minded commrades. Id have thought that certain langauge was just placed in the same box as Gollywog dolls and "f**" the cigarette lollies that used to be around when I was a kid. Right or wrong like it or not ..its just condemned to be something from the past. I question the language that certain people must still be using. We are talking about men that are being brought up in the 2000's. Its stupefying.

Second. I really dislike the concept of being punished for something that is not made public. As if its so bad that we best not even utter the word like it something from a Harry Potter story. We are gong down the route of some sort of "star chamber" when secrecy and jurisprudence merge , and only certain in the know important people say we the important judges announce that this or that is so bad and the punishment is this or that and yet we cant tell everyone else what was said "because" . Just trust us . The punishment was just. It was a vile crime and we know that because we know what was said and you dont ..etc.

So now we see someone getting 5 weeks for saying something that might hurt someones feelings ..and meanwhile a Collingwood player just got 1 week for whacking someone in the back of the head that probably physically hurt someone. A GWS player that just got three weeks for concussing someone. Is this all fair and appropriate? How would we know as the 5 week offence is so bad it cant be reported.
Power self reported the incident.

I wonder if the AFL will bring out an Approved List of Sledge words? Or is it no sledging anymore full stop?

Could we be in fact conditioned for Performing robots next? ;)

Just out of curiosity, would you get banned if players call someone a Ranga or Fanta now? I have no idea, can of worms, or can of words...

Thinking maths isn't Yze's strong suit

At a press conference today it seems he was asked about the Bulldogs and the pressure on both them & Beveridge

As he correctly pointed out, the Bulldogs have won more matches than Richmond this season. And then he started talking more specifically about Beveridge when he said,

"Not many teams have won a flag in the last 5 years, and he's one of them"

???

Hate to tell him, but Beveridge isn't a premiership coach from the last 5 years - they won the flag in 2016 which is coming up on 8 years...

Richmond have some big problems but i didn't have coach being unable to count as one of them...

Then again, with how many of their fans are cookers here and on social media it doesn't surprise me at all LOL

You're arguing more strongly for why a hit in the head should be more than 1 week then a why a homophobic slur shouldn't be 5 weeks.

They don't report the exact words to protect the person saying he slur. Their camp could publicise it if they felt hard done. Finlayson did complain about it, it just made him look worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back