News Non-Crows AFLW 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Even though we have the wood over North, they've been very close

But out of the two I'd pick to play North over Melbourne - and hopefully Melbourne knock Brisbane off if we do go through

How often has 1 & 2 lost the QF in the men's??

Even though we have the wood over North, they've been very close

But out of the two I'd pick to play North over Melbourne - and hopefully Melbourne knock Brisbane off if we do go through

How often has 1 & 2 lost the QF in the men's??
At the end of the day we need to stop worrying about who we play. If we play our best with the right team selections we can still win the premiership.

Sent from my SM-T220 using Tapatalk

Alyce Parker reportedly considering leaving GWS. Presumably she is looking to move to Melbourne, but who knows? I'd love to have her at the Crows.

She's from (rural) NSW initially so it's not like she'd be moving "home".
Agree they’ll need to start looking to convince players over from interstate given Port has been given nearly all the available SA talent.

Surely having such a strong program and consistent high finishes has got to pay dividends somehow, surely there’s enough club sponsors around to organise some sort of ‘work’ given all our top payment tiers are pretty much full.

Agree they’ll need to start looking to convince players over from interstate given Port has been given nearly all the available SA talent.

Surely having such a strong program and consistent high finishes has got to pay dividends somehow, surely there’s enough club sponsors around to organise some sort of ‘work’ given all our top payment tiers are pretty much full.

You'd hope so. We've done alright attracting decent interstate players here over the years, but mostly they've just been servicable roleplayers - Forth, Li, Gum, etc. Kelly has been the biggest win we've gotten out of a trade for a non-SA player. Randall as a marquee player was a masterstroke too.

With some luck, this will be the last of the big handouts for Port. They should be able to get out of the bottom four next year, and from there we should at least have access to the 2nd-best, 4th-best, etc talent from SA. Not to mention, if we can't pry at least a couple of Young, Goody, Brooksby, Window etc from Port's clutches we've done something wrong.

You'd hope so. We've done alright attracting decent interstate players here over the years, but mostly they've just been servicable roleplayers - Forth, Li, Gum, etc. Kelly has been the biggest win we've gotten out of a trade for a non-SA player. Randall as a marquee player was a masterstroke too.

With some luck, this will be the last of the big handouts for Port. They should be able to get out of the bottom four next year, and from there we should at least have access to the 2nd-best, 4th-best, etc talent from SA. Not to mention, if we can't pry at least a couple of Young, Goody, Brooksby, Window etc from Port's clutches we've done something wrong.
As someone who is pedantic - I could not let the Li & Gum as non drafted SANFLW players. Gum was Glenelg and drafted from South Adelaide in 2018 and Li was Adelaide Uni and played for Norwood. Does that mean we should include Munyard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone who is pedantic - I could not let the Li & Gum as non drafted SANFLW players. Gum was Glenelg and drafted from South Adelaide in 2018 and Li was Adelaide Uni and played for Norwood. Does that mean we should include Munyard.

I forgot that Li was SA originally. She nominated Victoria as her draft state.

For Gum I genuinely thought she was a WA player. Got that one wrong!

So I guess we haven't actually got many interstate players.

Bec Goddard has decided to resign from coaching. Probably for the best - she's a culture builder more than a head coach. She was fantastic in 2017, instrumental in our premiership push, and I think a good choice for Hawthorn's inaugural coach too.

Not many remnants of that 2017 premiership side still left in the AFLW system! Only six years later we're down to just Randall, Marinoff, Hatchard, Allan, Thompson and Varnhagen still playing with us, while Foley and Mules are at Port and Gibson is at West Coast. We just had Phillips, Perkins and Sedunary retire this season.

If we expand the definition out to include coaches there are a few more. Cramey, obviously. Metcalfe is at GWS. Anyone else? Is Phillips taking up a coaching role?

I suppose I should also count Abbey Holmes as having remained involved in AFLW as a media figure.

Last edited:
Looking at the halftime score, a horrendous start from Melbourne again… wonder if things are starting to really bite them after they got a bit blasé/ahead of themselves during the season after their fast start.

Brisbane would certainly be happy to see the back of them, even though Geelong do seem to have the ability to turn games on to their own terms quite regularly they’d fancy getting Geelong out of Victoria and up at Springfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back