News Non-Crows AFLW 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Tesorio showing her thug tendencies that she’s well known for.

Richmond have completely lost their structure.

McEvoy already showing why most thought she was the best player in the draft last year. Really like the look of Egan for Carlton. Her ability to read the play and get front and centre is so good. Just needs to be a bit quicker on her disposal and she will be so damaging.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of teams struggle like Richmond are tonight.

Both the expansion teams and those that were heavily raided
I think Richmond believed their hype a little bit. I also think there will be issues with players who played full seasons in their state league just like last year. They will tire quicker.

I think Richmond believed their hype a little bit. I also think there will be issues with players who played full seasons in their state league just like last year. They will tire quicker.

It's amazing how much hype they got. They do have a handful of good recruits but their depth is shocking, like all expansion teams.

Teams with the best depth do really well in this comp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only really got to see the first quarter, and bits of the second. Looks like it was a blowout in the end. What do people think - were Richmond just underwhelming, or have Carlton taken a step up?

Hard to say. It didn't feel like Richmond's star recruits had much impact on the game, and they really struggled to break out of the defensive zone during the first half when Carlton wasn't that accurate. Felt their ball movement wasn't that great, lots of handballs to players under pressure and misplaced kicks, which I'd put down to inexperience being an expansion side.

For the Blues I thought their new recruits - McEvoy and Egan especially were quite good. Prespaskis copped a whack to the head and was tagged in the first half before running riot. Tayla Harris looked dangerous up forward - had a nice smother in the first quarter and some good contested marks but still shanked a few kicks in front of goal. They looked faster - one of their smaller mids whose name escapes me was involved in some good tackles. Felt like both sides ran out of steam after the third quarter, but it was already finished as a contest by then.

I only really got to see the first quarter, and bits of the second. Looks like it was a blowout in the end. What do people think - were Richmond just underwhelming, or have Carlton taken a step up?

A bit of both. Richmond were very underwhelming, while Carlton have stepped it up a bit.

They've expanded the league too quickly in my opinion, I love that there's more teams so more spots for female athletes to get there go but alot of them are no where near ready for this next big step.

The quality of the game has to get better to continue to get people to come out and watch and so far every season I've seen improvement which is awesome, im gonna watch every game this round regardless but last nights game I didn't see anything that was better than what we produced last season.

I know last season stars aligned and we were just so much better than everyone else, even our depth was miles better than any other team so interested to see how we go with 8 debutants today.

We were so far above other teams last season that seeing the improvement in Carlton’s ball movement was a step forward this season. The umpiring was also better. Funny how that happens when there is actually a competent umpire on the ground as there has been a call for since season 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back