NFL NFL Re-Alignment

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 2008 - NFL Week 16

What would be the reaction if a 3-13 team seeded #4 hosted a 13-3 team seeded #5. This is the only way the procedure would change, its to unfair at the moment.

It could be worse... its possible that a 3-13 team could host a 15-1 WC team :eek:

If there's no salary-cap, it will become more possible the 3-13 vs 13-3 scenario. Salary-cap ensures parity, which is crucial to a divisional and conference structure.

Im always 100% in favor of divisions, as JD perfectly explained, like a tennis tree where you have to win thru your side of the draw. It's not always the case that many tennis semi-finals see the 1st to 4th seeds always making it there together.

I just think the problem is Wild Cards.

What they could do with my idea is make it the best two teams from each division simply go thru and that's that. 8 teams, knockout from there.

What they may perceive as a problem is the amount of "dead games" that would occur where teams placed 8th to 5th or maybe higher in each division could be mathematically out of the race weeks before the end of the regular season.

How they have it broken up into 8 divisions of littler 4 teams, plus WCs, makes it more conducive to there being all this drama right thru to the end of the season in terms of teams still in the race.

But, i still think my 4 divisions of 8 is a better system and would weed out the bad teams for sure while also highlighting more rivalries and big tv network match-ups like Jets vs Giants, Cowboys vs Patriots, etc.

Re: Possible Re-Allignment Discussion

Goodell's proposal to amend the seeding of playoff teams based on the respective teams win-loss record would be passed by the owners only to encourage runaway division winners to field competitive teams in the final weeks of the season. the integrity of the playoff process will be undermined if it is introduced (and based on win-loss record) for any other reason. the basic theory for rewarding a division winner with a home final is due to it being the best performed team within its division with its own unique schedule. based on W-L record, the NFC East and South are stronger divisions than the NFC west this season, and the wild-card winners from either div will probably have a better record than the NFC west div winner. but hypothetically, what if the NFC East and South had a weaker shedule than the NFC West. does the NFC west div winner still deserve to be penalised with a road playoff in wk 1? i dont think so. and ignoring the W-L records of the respective teams, Arizona actually beat the Cowboys in a head-to-head game this season. should the cowboys still deserve the home playoff?

the unique schedule. the unique schedule. the unique schedule.

win the division and receive the rewards. IMO, a wild-card team is fortunate to receive the playoff opportunity anyway.

mcgarnacle, my opinion is that Wild Cards are the problem. Or where things always get problematic.

If they just made it the two best teams from every division, it would be simpler and probably do more justice in terms of the whole W-L record thing. Best getting in.

So you have 8 teams each conference. Knockout all the way thru.

What tie breaker are you losing at 15-0-1?
good point it would be 14-0-2. but still it is possible for a team to miss out on playoffs being underfeated. (all teams in a division being 10-0-6). They should split it into 4 conferances of 8 teams. play all 7 in the conferance twice, and the top 2 go to a final 8 knockout tournoment.

The problem with the NFL, is that unless you have a 62 game season it is going to be unfair.

IMHO all that should be changed is the playoff rankings, i would feel better if a team with a good record in a good division (Dallas) hosted a team with a poorer record in a weaker division (Arizona). Seedings of 1-6 should be according to W-L-D record.

Dallas havent even made the playoffs yet, its a bit premature to complain about them visiting Arizona.

Some of these scenarios are becomming ridiculous. Sure, they're technically possible, but so are Aliens coming and abducting every football player except Todd Pinkston, making him the greatest player alive. Its technically possible, but god damn, that aint happening.

STO, you do crack me up at times (and I mean that in a good way)

mcgarnacle, great post and I fully understand & respect that way of thinking. I 100% supported it not too long ago. However, I think the NFL has lost a lot in recent years with dead rubbers like we're going to see again this year with teams not playing out the regular season. Admittadly the eveness of this year has reduced the problem but still, if it's going to happen this year with such an even competition, it's going to happen every season. IMO it's nonsense a team with Arizona's record doesn't care if they win or lose this late into the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe you could make yourself out to be a concerned Pats fan? If they win & miss out on playoffs then you can push the whole "the present setup is unfair on the Patriots" line.

Then he might listen. ;)

Maybe you could make yourself out to be a concerned Pats fan? If they win & miss out on playoffs then you can push the whole "the present setup is unfair on the Patriots" line.

Then he might listen. ;)

Damn, I didnt think of that. He would surely have listened. Grr.

I'd vote no. Hate the idea of seeding a WC over a division winner. As long as there are conferences I love the fighting within the division, then within the conference.
Id be open to perhaps amalgating some divisions as long as we still play the AFC North teams twice (I love the history we've had with the Steelers. Baltimore and Cinci)
Never thought of doing away with the conferneces GG but its an interesting concept. Sort of makes sense if you want the 2 best teams to be in the SB rather than possibly playing off in the championship game

I called up Steve on SEN tonight to threw the question to 'the experts' about the sub-par West divisions struggling to squeeze out a winning season and still being awarded a play-off berth over double digit non-division champ which really doesn't warrant a shot at the BIG DANCe. With the NFL looking to expand the regular season, the 'dead rubbers' of the final week that could well have more meaning, the need to WIN for teams like Arizona a few weeks out before wrapping up a early Division title.

I made mention of the 1985 season when Cleveland won the AFC Central with a 8-8 while the likes of Denver missed OUT with 11-5!! Most likely have two teams which have a better record NOT going to the play-offs like loser of Miami & NYJ plus NE (needing Baltimore to lose to clinch WC) with the likely possibility of SD winning the AFC West with a ordinary 8-8 record.

Goodell had his live chat, only answered a handful of questions, not sure if the admin of that chat passed on my previous message that outlined in brief words the idea. So i also posted the idea here for Goodell for him to read back....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d80dc2bcf/comments/tell-the-commissioner-what-you-think

I've just added my two bob's worth about Division Winners without a winning record not deserving the right to qualify for the play-offs above a winning season non-play-off qualifier. Just made mention of the fact that the NFL audience prefers 'integrity'. :)

Re: Divisional/Playoff Race

That right there shows how unfair the playoffs system is. The chargers will most likely miss out despite having a F/A difference of 128, while the Seahawks will get into the playoffs with a -68 F/A difference.

What a joke.

It's not the F/A pts that should be annoying you but the fact of an inferior W/L record qualifies. It's downright embarrassing for the NFL that they do not act on this by getting the Owners aside to make them realise it's damaging to the play-off system. In 2008, the CHARGERS qualified by winning the AFC West with a sub-par 8-8 record while the NE Pats stayed at home with a more convincing 11-5 record. I agree, it's a joke on the NFL.

Sure, keep the divisions and allow the bragging rights for a division title but No guarantees for play-off qualification if the team can't have the better W/L record and same goes with HOME Field. Seahawks/ Rams have the chance to claim a home field first week game vs a Wildcard with a superior record. :eek::eek:

But on the flipside, the AFL have made monumental F*** ups with screwing over interstate teams with venue allocations in the second week of the finals system that has changed/ shafted teams in the past. National comps minus the fairness. Draws in AFL GF's shouldn't be happening either if the GF is to be played at the G.

Common sense/ consistency obviously doesn't register at the TOP. Office politics has corrupted the game no end. :thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back