NFL NFL Lore

Remove this Banner Ad

In the leadup to Superbowl XXVI between the Redskins-Bills, Bills defensive line coach Chuck Dickerson gave multiple interviews in which he insulted the entire Redskins Offensive Line. Dickerson would be fired three days after the Bills' defeat in the Superbowl.

Buffalo sports radio icon Chuck Dickerson reflects on career

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...nseless/24e5b4ba-f6ac-427b-9287-aac2eedabd6c/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...t-laugh/7f292f47-8ed2-499f-9730-8e21273a04b6/

"Dickerson said Redskins tackle Joe Jacoby was "a Neanderthal -- he slobbers a lot, he probably kicks dogs in his neighborhood." He also said tackle Jim Lachey "has bad breath. Players will fall down without him even touching them."

He said that Center Jeff Bostic was "Ugly, like the rest of 'em."

Joe Gibbs got his hands on some tapes of Dickerson and played them at a team meeting on the night before the game in order to motivate the team.

“He gave us a great motivating speech,” Washington center Jeff Bostic said afterward. “He was talking about the Hogs. He made a lot of really embarrassing remarks, coming from a coach. He made comments about each one of us individually. I wonder if he likes us now.”

Jacoby, like Bostic a three-time Super Bowl champion now, said he was offended as well. "This guy is criticizing the guys on the offensive line, and a majority of us has been to a few Pro Bowls," he said. "This is a line that gave up nine sacks all year. Sure it makes you upset. I think it fired everyone up, not just the offensive line."

Marv Levy later described the interview as "the girder that brought down the building."

Three days after the Superbowl, Levy fired Dickerson, who insisted he was joking.

After being fired, WGR hired him in January 1994 and announced the station would deliver sports from 2 p.m. to midnight. Wander was the afternoon drive host, followed by Dickerson. They flip-flopped six months later, as The Coach’s celebrity grew.

Friction over Dickerson’s criticism reached a head for Levy in December 1994, when Levy lashed out on his Empire Sports Network show.

“He was regarded as a buffoon by our players,” Levy said. “He hasn’t changed. He’s the same now.”

Levy declared Dickerson was subversive while on Buffalo’s staff and referred to him as Tokyo Rose, a term for the female broadcasters who during World War II delivered Japanese propaganda to demoralize U.S. troops.

Another of Levy’s favorite lines was that Dickerson had been fired more times than a Civil War cannon, although Levy promoted him twice.

“I never tried to be buddy-buddy with anybody over there,” Dickerson said. “I had some people inside the organization that I was very close to, that kept me apprised to everything that was going on.

“I heard atrocious things about the way things were being run. But that’s the way it was, and that’s the way I called it.”

Dickerson never let up.

Greg Ried, Entercom Buffalo vice president and general manager, recalled Bills general manager John Butler summoning him and Entercom executive Larry Robb to Orchard Park because the team was exasperated with Dickerson’s hammer-wielding. Maybe it was because Dickerson kept calling Wade Phillips “Gomer.”

“One of the most memorable meetings of my career,” Ried said. “John Butler practically came over the desk at us because he was so mad about Chuck Dickerson.

“He yelled, ‘You won’t do anything about him because you’re afraid of him!’ I said, ‘John, no, I’m not. It’s entertainment. Sports radio is not journalism.’ ”

In the leadup to Superbowl XXVI between the Redskins-Bills, Bills defensive line coach Chuck Dickerson gave multiple interviews in which he insulted the entire Redskins Offensive Line. Dickerson would be fired three days after the Bills' defeat in the Superbowl.

Buffalo sports radio icon Chuck Dickerson reflects on career

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...nseless/24e5b4ba-f6ac-427b-9287-aac2eedabd6c/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...t-laugh/7f292f47-8ed2-499f-9730-8e21273a04b6/

"Dickerson said Redskins tackle Joe Jacoby was "a Neanderthal -- he slobbers a lot, he probably kicks dogs in his neighborhood." He also said tackle Jim Lachey "has bad breath. Players will fall down without him even touching them."

He said that Center Jeff Bostic was "Ugly, like the rest of 'em."

Joe Gibbs got his hands on some tapes of Dickerson and played them at a team meeting on the night before the game in order to motivate the team.

“He gave us a great motivating speech,” Washington center Jeff Bostic said afterward. “He was talking about the Hogs. He made a lot of really embarrassing remarks, coming from a coach. He made comments about each one of us individually. I wonder if he likes us now.”

Jacoby, like Bostic a three-time Super Bowl champion now, said he was offended as well. "This guy is criticizing the guys on the offensive line, and a majority of us has been to a few Pro Bowls," he said. "This is a line that gave up nine sacks all year. Sure it makes you upset. I think it fired everyone up, not just the offensive line."

Marv Levy later described the interview as "the girder that brought down the building."

Three days after the Superbowl, Levy fired Dickerson, who insisted he was joking.

After being fired, WGR hired him in January 1994 and announced the station would deliver sports from 2 p.m. to midnight. Wander was the afternoon drive host, followed by Dickerson. They flip-flopped six months later, as The Coach’s celebrity grew.

Friction over Dickerson’s criticism reached a head for Levy in December 1994, when Levy lashed out on his Empire Sports Network show.

“He was regarded as a buffoon by our players,” Levy said. “He hasn’t changed. He’s the same now.”

Levy declared Dickerson was subversive while on Buffalo’s staff and referred to him as Tokyo Rose, a term for the female broadcasters who during World War II delivered Japanese propaganda to demoralize U.S. troops.

Another of Levy’s favorite lines was that Dickerson had been fired more times than a Civil War cannon, although Levy promoted him twice.

“I never tried to be buddy-buddy with anybody over there,” Dickerson said. “I had some people inside the organization that I was very close to, that kept me apprised to everything that was going on.

“I heard atrocious things about the way things were being run. But that’s the way it was, and that’s the way I called it.”

Dickerson never let up.

Greg Ried, Entercom Buffalo vice president and general manager, recalled Bills general manager John Butler summoning him and Entercom executive Larry Robb to Orchard Park because the team was exasperated with Dickerson’s hammer-wielding. Maybe it was because Dickerson kept calling Wade Phillips “Gomer.”

“One of the most memorable meetings of my career,” Ried said. “John Butler practically came over the desk at us because he was so mad about Chuck Dickerson.

“He yelled, ‘You won’t do anything about him because you’re afraid of him!’ I said, ‘John, no, I’m not. It’s entertainment. Sports radio is not journalism.’ ”
The 30-for-30 about the Four Falls of Buffalo detailed this too.

Running one's mouth prior to a game is the worst thing you could do, tho the Redskins were always going to smash the Bills that day anyway.
But it got Joe Namath into the hall of fame?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GOAT QBs

imo, they ought to be split up into the talent-based ones, and the more cerebral based ones.

Really, they're all equal, HoFers (or to be). And they're all unique with different abilities.

Era also is a huge gray area, the changing times, rules, etc.

Tried to catch all the best QBs, an exhaustive list, but may have missed some. And there's room for adjusting players in tiers.

---Raw Talent---

Tier One ...

Marino, Mahomes, Baugh, Favre, Young, Elway, Rodgers, Warner

Tier Two....

Roethlisberger, Moon, Cunningham, Vick, Tarkenton, Bradshaw, Aikman, Layne, Van Brocklin, Jurgensen, Dawson

Tier Three....

Tittle, Namath, Fouts, Stafford, McNair, McNabb, Rivers, Newton, Esiason, Lamonica, Waterfield, Wilson, Culpepper, B.Jones, Palmer, Williams, Luck, Krieg, Brunell

---Chess Masters---

Tier One....

Montana, Brady, Graham, Unitas, P.Manning, Starr, Staubach, Brees

Tier Two.....

Luckman, Theisman, Griese, Stabler, Kelly, E.Manning, Anderson, Ryan

Tier Three....

P.Simms, A.Manning, Jaworski, Kosar, Morton, Zorn, Hasselbeck

GOAT QBs

imo, they ought to be split up into the talent-based ones, and the more cerebral based ones.

Really, they're all equal, HoFers (or to be). And they're all unique with different abilities.

Era also is a huge gray area, the changing times, rules, etc.

Tried to catch all the best QBs, an exhaustive list, but may have missed some. And there's room for adjusting players in tiers.

---Raw Talent---

Tier One ...

Marino, Mahomes, Baugh, Favre, Young, Elway, Rodgers, Warner

Tier Two....

Roethlisberger, Moon, Cunningham, Vick, Tarkenton, Bradshaw, Aikman, Layne, Van Brocklin, Jurgensen, Dawson

Tier Three....

Tittle, Namath, Fouts, Stafford, McNair, McNabb, Rivers, Newton, Esiason, Lamonica, Waterfield, Wilson, Culpepper, B.Jones, Palmer, Williams, Luck, Krieg, Brunell

---Chess Masters---

Tier One....

Montana, Brady, Graham, Unitas, P.Manning, Starr, Staubach, Brees

Tier Two.....

Luckman, Theisman, Griese, Stabler, Kelly, E.Manning, Anderson, Ryan

Tier Three....

P.Simms, A.Manning, Jaworski, Kosar, Morton, Zorn, Hasselbeck
couldve just posted this

Some impressive records....(comments section)....

Eg,...

- Brett Favre 321 consecutive starts

- Dan Marino 759 passes without a sack

- Sammy Baugh in one game 4 passing TDs, 4 INTs as a defensive back, and 1 punt for 81 yards

- Emmitt Smith career rushing yards

- Tony Gonzalez, 211 games in a row with at least one reception. That would mean playing more than 13 seasons without missing a game, and getting a reception in every game. Tony played 269 out of 270 career games. Insane

- Tom Brady 10-0 playoff record in his first 10 games as starter

- The 2013 Broncos had 5 players score at least 10 touchdowns. D. Thomas, J. Thomas, Decker, Welker, and Moreno. A qb would have to throw a minimum of 40 tds spread out evenly between 4 players and have a rb get 10 tds on top of that. I doubt we will see this again.

- George Blanda oldest player to start a game at 48 years of age

- Nobody is coming close to Gostkowski’s 523 consecutive successful extra points now that they’re 33 yard kicks. That was 9+ seasons with offenses that scored a lot of touchdowns. Now kickers aren’t even going two straight seasons without a miss. Justin Tucker made 222 straight to start his career, 110 prior to the change and then his first 112 33-yarders. He has missed in four of the last five seasons now, though.

- when barry sanders got 2k, he had 53 rushing yards after the first 2 weeks (33 yards against atlanta and 20 yards against tampa). over the next 14 weeks he ran for exactly 2,000 yards to finish with 2,053 yards.

- Favre caught his first pass. He didn’t do that again until like 14-15 years later. That’s the longest gap between receptions

- The one I'm most amazed at that hasn't been broken in passing yards in a game. Still at 554, set in 1950 by Norm Van Brocklin. 73 years and all these rule changes to make passing easier and it still stands.

- Record for Longest Career with the Same Team = Jason Hanson playing for 21 seasons with the Lions I think? I'd be shocked if we see too many players A) last that long - especially with the seasons extending in length, B) do it with the same team.

- Now that kickoff returns have been neutered, all purpose yards is looking insurmountable. The KRs high on the list got a lot of free yards before contact when KR was more balanced and not touchbacks 75% of the time. It also shows how ridiculous Jerry Rice is to have the record in the first place. If I'm reading his stats right, he only had 6 KR yards out of the almost 24k yards lol. Now your only shot to break the record is to have not just generational athletic ability but it's gotta transcend generations - and have the durability to match that. Not to mention the work ethic that Rice had. To me, this is the one.

- James Wilder’s record for touches in a single season (492). It’s already like 40 touches more than the second place guy (I think Larry Johnson at 456) and I doubt that suddenly we’ll go back to giving one player a s**t ton of touches considering individual RB usage has gone down and probably will never go back up and RB is the only position that could ever amass that many

- Brett Favre’s career interceptions will never be touched. For perspective, a QB could have been drafted in 2007, lead the league in interceptions every year, and still have fewer interceptions than Favre.

- There’s no way a QB will throw 42 interceptions in a season again (George Blanda 1962). When Jameis threw 30 those felt like he was throwing just about as many picks as possible while not getting benched and he still would’ve needed to tack on another dozen of them. And usually now we get seasons where no one has more than 20. More impressively, he managed to do it in a 14 game season, by the 12th game

- Otto Graham's 10 straight championship appearances.

- Fred Dyer....two safeties in a single game by a single player is like the no hitter record in MLB, someone might eventually tie it, but breaking it is so unlikely that it will likely never happen.

- Jerry Rice’s 197 receiving touchdowns and 208 total touchdowns. To beat it, someone would have to average 10 TDs for 21 straight seasons. Or 20+ TDs for 10 seasons. Or somewhere in between. How many WRs have even had five seasons in a row with 10+ TDs, much less double or triple that? Davante Adams is the highest active player and he only has 87 and he's already 30.

- Receiving yards after turning 40....Jerry Rice: 2169, Tom Brady: 6, everyone else not named Brett Favre: 0, Brett Favre: -2

- 1983 Redskins +43 turnover differential. With how the rules are today it’s hard enough to get 44 turnovers let alone that being the differential

Paddy Driscoll’s record for longest successful drop kick. On November 11, 1917, Driscoll was knocked unconscious in the third quarter of a 13–3 victory over the Cornell Hamburgs. He returned to the game later in the quarter and drop-kicked a 55-yard field goal from beyond midfield

- It's not an actual record per se, but I don't believe we will ever see another player hit the major stat career milestones that Charles Woodson did. One player having 1200+ tackles, 65+ INTs and 20+ sacks will never happen again IMO. Truly a Swiss army knife.

- Don Cockroft has the shortest known NFL field goal of 6 yards. Under todays current rules and strategies, the shortest possible NFL field goal would be slightly under 17 yards.

- Gary Anderson’s regular season 100% FG record. Also made every extra point that season. His only miss was the FG that would’ve beaten the Falcons and put the Vikings into the Super Bowl.

- Jerry Rice’s 22 receiving touchdowns IN 12 GAMES in 1987.

- Night train lanes rookie interception record. 14 INTs in 1952. This was also done in 12 games.

In the past 20 years the only two franchises to not have a pro bowl quarterback are the 49ers and Dolphins

Up until Tua the Dolphins didn't have anyone capable and had he not gotten hurt this year he almost certainly would've gotten the invite over Huntley lol. The 49ers are a bit more surprising. Teams can do a lot worse than Smith, Kaepernick, Garoppolo but it just never happened. It's not exactly a high bar, especially since the game was moved before the super bowl where at least one alternate is always called. Even the Browns had one! I'm gonna go team by team and list off the pro bowl qbs from the past 20 years that I remember off the top of my head. Some of the names are pretty funny. Please add ones I forgot!

Bills - Taylor, Allen
Jets - Favre
Patriots - Brady, Jones
Dolphins - none

Steelers - Roethlisberger
Bengals - Palmer, Dalton, Burrow
Ravens - Jackson, Huntley
Browns - Derek Anderson

Chargers - Brees, Rivers, Herbert
Chiefs - Cassel, Smith, Mahomes
Broncos - Manning
Raiders - Carr