News New Irish Recruit - Oisin Mullin...2022 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Something that might be a weird fluke or nerves settling but his kicking action became progressively lower and more direct within the match.
I agree, he settled more and more as the game went on. Remember that he has big game experience in the GAA. He's getting a feel for the Aus game quickly IMO. There were setbacks, but I think he'll progress relatively quickly.

Slow ball drop? Gravity is a constant no? Dont get it.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
If we refer to ⏩ 4:12 in the Oisin Mullin video highlights from last Saturday against The Giants, that is by far the best indicator and example as to the kicking potential of Oisin Mullin. Kicked slightly around corner of his body but with a low trajectory and excellent penetration.... much to like!
Oisin has the potential to be an excellent kick as one gets the feeling this kid is going to be a very quick learner.

Oisin Mullin Debut Feature | Round 11

Just watched his highlights from the weekend, and he looks pretty good. Can see him playing a few more games this year tbh.

The injuries probably have meant he has be given a chance early bit ... the you are correct. He could get another one or two games. The hard track against the dogs will suit him one would think..

Something that might be a weird fluke or nerves settling but his kicking action became progressively lower and more direct within the match.
I’m actually not sure the higher kicks were errors. He was kicking long to a contest and they gave his teammates a chance to jump at them. Seems to have no issue with the short low pass.

If Tuohy doesn't retire, and OM plays regularly next season, you can bet there will be a new rule about how many Irishmen there can be on the list. ;)

Maybe with the Geelong weather.... Ireland presents as a good match to Geelong. Maybe if Ossy is a win... he could lead to more Geelong relationships... There is a limit on Rookie B's so it not like we can bring over the full Mayo team.

If we refer to ⏩ 4:12 in the Oisin Mullin video highlights from last Saturday against The Giants, that is by far the best indicator and example as to the kicking potential of Oisin Mullin. Kicked slightly around corner of his body but with a low trajectory and excellent penetration.... much to like!
Oisin has the potential to be an excellent kick as one gets the feeling this kid is going to be a very quick learner.

Oisin Mullin Debut Feature | Round 11

We know he has speed/power and is an exceptional athlete. Those highlights indicate he has great hands in close. Huge potential

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We know he has speed/power and is an exceptional athlete. Those highlights indicate he has great hands in close. Huge potential
Totally... I was just thinking earlier that he looks very clean low to the ground already.

One of the highlights that looked like nothing but I think is important was a late one where he takes a simple looking uncontested intercept mark... Just because he reads the flight of the ball very fast and chose to go for it rather than just sticking on a man and letting someone else do it... + The next one where Stewart had the ball and Mullin pointed out in front of him to tell Stewart that he wanted it out in front so he could run onto it... Those plays showed me he has smarts already.

He has the physical attributes that'll get him so far... but the other stuff, the one percenters is where he will become a good/effective player when combined with his speed and power, and whilst it's very early... It's looking good.

For me, he has gone straight past a bunch of our kids that have been playing footy all their lives on what I expect their ceilings can be.

If Tuohy doesn't retire, and OM plays regularly next season, you can bet there will be a new rule about how many Irishmen there can be on the list. ;)
"Hocking laughs hold my :beermug:" back to the AFL position to change the rules again;):p
It'd be beyond hilarious if all the conspiracy theorists about Hocking turned out to be on the money!
They'd be calling it a Lepre-CON over on the Tuggers board!!!

Great first up game for Mullin. Perhaps way to early to know how he’ll turn out, but the game showed he has burst power, confidence to take on physical contests and tacklers and very quick hands. His kicking was also way better than you’d expect at this stage and you could see Oisin wasn’t afraid to back his style, try aggressive passing.

My main query is which position. While half back is probably best for development I think the above attributes might be more valuable in midfield, perhaps with stints tagging and on wing - will be interesting to see what the MC/coaches do now in that regard.

Credit to the MC for backing Oisin for an early game and giving him the confidence that he has a place at AFL level.

Last edited:
Think he’s the type of player who looks better in the seniors rather than the vfl

I didn’t think he was good enough to play yet but he did show promise
Plays against the dogs

In Ireland, you represent your parish/village club team and if you're good enough you represent your county, but you still play for both, although the seasons don't overlap as much as they used to.
So Oisin would have played for Kilmaine (club) and Mayo (county).
I played with a guy years ago who was tearing up the club scene which resulted in him being picked to represent the county.
He turned into a brilliant player at that elite level, but he was never as good again at club level.
Without the bigger crowds, the harder hits, the tougher opposition etc. his motivation dropped off and he was content to play at 70-80% of his ability.
I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that, even at this early stage, Oisin might be better off developing in the AFL (esp. considering the number of injuries) than the VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back