News New Irish Recruit - Oisin Mullin...2022 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Without looking at the stats, I would say he is tracking along very closely with Ugle-Hagen (pick 1 in same draft) as a third tall forward. Both in terms of output and the exciting things they can do.
Ugle-Hagen is a power forward, Ollie Henry is a medium forward. Both good but 1 UH is worth 2 OHs.
I'm not good at chemistry but it's something like this:
UH + 2H2O = 2OH + H2

https://chemequations.com/en/?s=C+++H2O+=+CO+++H2

Oisin was very impressive considering he arrived just months ago and has missed games due to soft tissue issues. It is interesting to see where people see him playing with some more exposure. With his size and speed and it seems lust for the contest, I'd have him following Danger around. Inside mid for me.

Everyone is talking about Oisin's spin and snap at goal but he did something more impressive. He received the ball just back of the centre, put on the afterburners, veered to his right avoiding the tackler from behind and the oncoming player and kicked a perfectly weighted low drop punt over a defender into Cameron's arms.

Not sure why height should be an issue. At 189cm he’s squarely in the medium forward bracket. There are plenty of others who have carved out successful careers in that role where they are more leading/marking types (but not key forwards) than crumbing/speedy types. Right now there is the likes of Toby Greene, Bayley Fritsch, Luke Breust (one of the best players of this type in the past 20 years) and Jake Stringer. Brad Johnson, Michael O’Loughlin and Paul Hudson are other similar types of similar heights that come to mind.

What is abundantly evident right now is he oozes talent. To be producing the output he is at this age is extremely encouraging.
And henry lacks the game speed and mobility of those players. Half of them play like small roving fowards/mids.

o. Henry plays like a taller big bodied player. But he aint. if he was jack henrys size (5cm taller) I would be much more optimistic. Note even j.henry is a bit small for the role he plays.

ps. Why are we discussing this in the Mullins thread?

Mullin should play seniors for tge rest of the season assuming he has the fitness. Some of his work in the contest was sensational.

his kicking is poor but still being a beginner that couold improve dramatically.
His kicking is actually very good in terms of efficiency.

Are you basing the comment on something specific, or just that his kicking style is a little different thanks to the Gaelic background?

Not sure why height should be an issue. At 189cm he’s squarely in the medium forward bracket. There are plenty of others who have carved out successful careers in that role where they are more leading/marking types (but not key forwards) than crumbing/speedy types. Right now there is the likes of Toby Greene, Bayley Fritsch, Luke Breust (one of the best players of this type in the past 20 years) and Jake Stringer. Brad Johnson, Michael O’Loughlin and Paul Hudson are other similar types of similar heights that come to mind.

What is abundantly evident right now is he oozes talent. To be producing the output he is at this age is extremely encouraging.
Grand Final day 2021 there were 17 clubs wanting to clone Fritsch

If his role is a third tall then I can see him being successful there.

If he has to play as the main man, that changes thing.

Comparing him to Menzel is unfair on both. Dan would've been an out-and-out superstar if not for his knees, and was still a good player in the limited capacity he could play. Plus, outside his first two years, there was a 4 year gap where he was able to still develop physically and work on some aspects of his game - time that Ollie hasn't had yet.

(This is now way off topic so will leave it at that.)
I think it's a pretty good string to our forward line bow to have a 3rd tall type who can kick a bag.

If you stick a green as grass Pheonix Foster and a potentially half decent Shannon Neale in the forward line then guys that big will need a size match just for being tall guys that can mark and kick.

Not many teams have 3rd tall defenders that act as anything but interceptors. So most teams are going to hit an issue where they either put a small defender on Ollie, who gets outmatched in the air, or put their interceptor on him and let it come to ground for Close, Miers, Stengle.

You put oppo coaches in the awkward position of having to put their best 1:1 defenders on role players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone is talking about Oisin's spin and snap at goal but he did something more impressive. He received the ball just back of the centre, put on the afterburners, veered to his right avoiding the tackler from behind and the oncoming player and kicked a perfectly weighted low drop punt over a defender into Cameron's arms.
Really frustrating the afl app has lost its s*** and has cut together his footage in the wrong places. I just want to go and rewatch every possession

Are you basing the comment on something specific, or just that his kicking style is a little different thanks to the Gaelic background?
I think his kicking looked an order of magnitude more natural than his first few vfl games. He is learning quick. 5th game

I think his kicking looked an order of magnitude more natural than his first few vfl games. He is learning quick. 5th game

Take a look at how the Irish handle the round ball. It’s actually insane.

Not many sporting codes around the world come close to the level of dexterity by hand or foot.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agree efficiency was good. But slow ball drop and the ball floated a bit. It will likely improve so no issue at this point.

I used to love the move posts function as a mod.

cough cough

:D

I prefer the delete option 😉

At the time I was one my phone during my lunch break - may have a bit more time to look at it after dinner 😎

Oisin was very impressive considering he arrived just months ago and has missed games due to soft tissue issues. It is interesting to see where people see him playing with some more exposure. With his size and speed and it seems lust for the contest, I'd have him following Danger around. Inside mid for me.

That's a good point that shouldn't be overlooked in terms of how it has affected his development in the relatively short time he's been at the club.
Seems like the coaching staff are managing him through it pretty well, so it will be interesting to see how they feel about throwing him in for the next game or two, with the additional physical demands that will place on his body.
Did he even get to play two back-to-back VFL games, or was he missing every other game with his hammy?

Take a look at how the Irish handle the round ball. It’s actually insane.

Not many sporting codes around the world come close to the level of dexterity by hand or foot.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He seemed very adept at handball in the Gaelic clips , both left and right handed - looked very good handballing the Sherrin :thumbsu:
He looks a far more natural kick than Blitz or O'Connor when they started so that's a great start - should also be noted that he had the confidence to have a ping at the goals off the left peg.

Agree efficiency was good. But slow ball drop and the ball floated a bit. It will likely improve so no issue at this point.

As someone who grew up playing gaelic football, I can tell you that although there are some times when you will drop it onto your laces and 'punt' the ball, usually when you are running straight on with tacklers moving in from either side, the natural tendency is to shape the kick from one side or the other.
You cut across it with the outside of your boot, so it bends from left to right for example, or you hit it with the inside of your boot for the opposite effect.
This goes for both passing to a teammate and shooting for a score.

Oisin probably has about 15 years of muscle memory to overcome in that regard but he'll adapt.
The GAA lads that switch to AFL usually end up pretty decent by foot, but in the short to medium-term, his kicking style probably won't win any beauty contests.
I suppose as long as it hits the target, how it got there is secondary.

I reckon he has so much upside that it’s not funny.

What a bonus to snag him.

No doubt every club in the comp would have been eyeing him off.
It's pretty amazing to pick him up from completely outside the system. Costs dollars only. Looks a gun in the making.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back