News New Irish Recruit - Oisin Mullin...2022 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d give Mullin a few weeks playing midfield in the VFL and let him hunt the ball. There is a risk that we’ll lock him into a position down back before he’s had the opportunity to explore the game.

Mullin could become an amazing sub player in finals when all the other players are exhausted he comes out and tears the game open with his running power. We need a sub with impact!!

The coaches should be building his year towards being the sub in finals. He doesn’t have to play the sub in home and away games but that could be his role in the finals.

I am really interested on how he will develop.

Will we make him a ZT replacement who can be an attacking defender but pretty much play anywhere or will we try him as a forward or a mid.

His attributes suggest he could probably play anywhere on the ground which is very exciting.

If speed and size were the only attributes required recruiting would look very different

I watched Mullin's gaelic clips and what would have stood out for AFL recruiters would have been his strength overhead. I don't know the correct gaelic terms but he was marking everything from the oppositions goal kicks if you want to combine aussie rules and soccer vernacular.

Geelong also have a policy of allowing their Irish players to play Gaelic Football for their former clubs in the AFL off-season, which is another great marketing ploy!
We absolutely do a lot of marketing to players. Take the conversation last week, Chris Scott twice got an opportunity to mention that Gary Rohan wasn't injured but instead left to play golf after completing his assigned training load.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love to know what the game plan is. What id say is he has the making of a breakaway inside mid ..if we can develop those skills in him.

The way he is already involving himself in chain links is very good sign.

Yeah inside midfielder.

Saw one piece of play yesterday where he really sprinted to get to position, noticeably faster than the others. For his size he is very quick.

All he has is speed, no actual footy IQ or actual ball skills, bridge that gap and hes a weapon but right now hes pretty much a headless chook out there.

Not sure he’s worthy of more games yet, it’s good that he’s been exposed to the top level but I think we’d get more from a half arsed Parfitt or Melongoaler.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

All he has is speed, no actual footy IQ or actual ball skills, bridge that gap and hes a weapon but right now hes pretty much a headless chook out there.
so was BLitz in his first 30 games - back chasing Brad Hill on the wing getting taught the game.

GO Catters

Not sure he’s worthy of more games yet, it’s good that he’s been exposed to the top level but I think we’d get more from a half arsed Parfitt or Melongoaler.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's worth a shot, we like these weird ones that can potentially give us a point of difference. We rookied a tall runner who looked like utter trash for a while and turned out to be one of the most valuable players in the AFL and a player that no other team has. Parfitt and Menegola are not going to be part of our future and they are not going to be the different between winning or losing games.

It's worth a shot, we like these weird ones that can potentially give us a point of difference. We rookied a tall runner who looked like utter trash for a while and turned out to be one of the most valuable players in the AFL and a player that no other team has. Parfitt and Menegola are not going to be part of our future and they are not going to be the different between winning or losing games.
Menegola would offer 8000 times more than Mullin would right now, I dont buy that argument for a second to be brutally honest.

If hes not in this week after a light week and being held out of VFL deliberately I'll be astounded.

8000 times eh
Menegola at least is a somewhat competent league footballer, it was laughable seeing Mullin thrown to the wolves like that, if you want to develop in other roles do it in the magoos where he isn't made to look like a traffic cone, felt sorry for the kid in all honesty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back