Teams New England Patriots - The Pats

Remove this Banner Ad

I like this.

You shouldn't, probably the worst olineman ive ever seen in a Panthers uniform, and ive seen a TONNE of bad ones. He'll get your QB killed. (like he did Joe Burrow when he missed a block and he tore his ACL)

FFS

Just caught up with the OC appointment.

Alex Van Pelt........................................ from :nflbrowns:..........CLEVELAND ................:poo:.

Couple that with Jeremy Spring as Special Team from the Rams..... who had one of the worst special teams last year.

Covington is an appointment that I like and will give that a 10/10.

Springer 4.5/10
Van Pelt 3/10

I cant say that the last two appointments fill me with any confidence.

Might as well select Marvin Harrison JR with pick 3, this year because we will most probably have the #1 pick next season and take a QB then.

Talk about going from the Penthouse to the shithouse.

Time will tell of course, but not as down as you on Van Pelt.

Plenty of experience in an otherwise not too experience coaching team.

But having been around for so long, is he set in his ways?

No expert on all this, but this is what I have heard people say about him:-
Ran a more 'old school' offense in Cleveland. Run heavy, less motion before the snap. But Flacco's performance was a surprise to everyone. Yes Stefanski was the play caller so Van Pelt's influence is unknown.

Worked with a lot of QBs (included Aaron Rodgers). Been on several different teams, so wide range of experience and situations.

General opinion is he wasn't fired from Cleveland by Stefanski, but by ownership because of Watson's output. Cleveland owners pushed a lot of chips in to get Watson, so are near frantic to get him playing well. Van Pelt was the fall guy.

The main question I have is, if we get a QB at Pick 3 can Van Pelt adapt to fit the skills of the QB?

Time will tell of course, but not as down as you on Van Pelt.

Plenty of experience in an otherwise not too experience coaching team.

But having been around for so long, is he set in his ways?

No expert on all this, but this is what I have heard people say about him:-
Ran a more 'old school' offense in Cleveland. Run heavy, less motion before the snap. But Flacco's performance was a surprise to everyone. Yes Stefanski was the play caller so Van Pelt's influence is unknown.

Worked with a lot of QBs (included Aaron Rodgers). Been on several different teams, so wide range of experience and situations.

General opinion is he wasn't fired from Cleveland by Stefanski, but by ownership because of Watson's output. Cleveland owners pushed a lot of chips in to get Watson, so are near frantic to get him playing well. Van Pelt was the fall guy.

The main question I have is, if we get a QB at Pick 3 can Van Pelt adapt to fit the skills of the QB?

I do get all those point and they are all valid.

The + for me are:

• He is a former QB himself..... I always think that helps.
  • He indeed has a long history of QB Coaching.
  • He has had experience calling plays himself.
  • The West Coast Offence is much more QB friendly and easier to learn and implement, all good for new young QB's.
  • He has been around many Coaching set ups.
  • Apparently he is a good teacher.

My biggest - is:

• He has never wowed or hallowed anywhere he has been.

He does have strong Green Bay connections and that would hint that the de facto GM Eliot Wolf ( at this point in time ), has some clear system alignment with Mayo as the sort of new Offence that they are wanting to implement.
There is mail that Andy Dickerson may be hired to assist Van Pelt, the two have a past background together.

One thing that Wolf did very well at the Packers was bring in, via trade or draft, the pieces necessary to implement the teams offensive system.

Van Pelt is just not the dynamic appointment that I had been hoping for.

I guess I need to get used to that now, because until the Patriots show signs of sorting out the cluster * thats its now become, the more highly credentialed Coaches are not going to be lured to Foxborough and young and up comers wont see the Patriots as a destination team.

Kraft has a very delicate balance on his hands, as Boston has been spoilt, it likes winning and dosen't take well to accumulating, LLLLLL's.

As a side note I don't actually mind that Eliot Wolf is handling GM duties and that Matt Groh is handling the Drafting team, both are competent and I have faith in their workmanship now that BB cant override their recommendations.

Case in point, when taking a WR - N'Keal Harry over Samuel and Metcalf.... where BB outranked them, to take the spud.

Last edited:
Not that one game means everything, but the Browns did score 48 in a playoff game with VanPelt in charge when Stefanski wasn't allowed to be there coz of covid didnt they?

Was rumoured three weeks ago and now its offical.

Dont'a Hightower back as the Linebackers Coach ... was effectively a Coach on the field when playing and in his role as a Team Captain.

GF6_0AOXoAA8wMA.jpg

Was one of my all time favourite Patriot players :nflpatriots:, thrilled to have him back in the fold.

Welcome Home Mr February.

Anyone watched the series so far? I'll wait till all the episodes are available.

FFS

Just caught up with the OC appointment.

Alex Van Pelt........................................ from :nflbrowns:..........CLEVELAND ................:poo:.

Couple that with Jeremy Spring as Special Team from the Rams..... who had one of the worst special teams last year.

Covington is an appointment that I like and will give that a 10/10.

Springer 4.5/10
Van Pelt 3/10

I cant say that the last two appointments fill me with any confidence.

Might as well select Marvin Harrison JR with pick 3, this year because we will most probably have the #1 pick next season and take a QB then.

Talk about going from the Penthouse to the shithouse.
The odd thing with VanPelt was he was OC @ Buffalo in 2009, then took 11 years before becoming OC again @ Cleveland.
In those 5 years he spent as OC his offenses have ranked 30th, 16th, 18th, 14th and 16th in YPG and 28th, 14th, 20th, 18th and 10th in point scored - it's kind of middling and with a, currently, weak offensive roster it doesn't bode well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The odd thing with VanPelt was he was OC @ Buffalo in 2009, then took 11 years before becoming OC again @ Cleveland.
In those 5 years he spent as OC his offenses have ranked 30th, 16th, 18th, 14th and 16th in YPG and 28th, 14th, 20th, 18th and 10th in point scored - it's kind of middling and with a, currently, weak offensive roster it doesn't bode well.

I find myself quite conflicted on most of our coaching appointments.
In totality I don’t hate what we have done, but I don’t love it either.

In some senses I get that we have picked up a group of guys that have some familiarity with each other and none are big flashy names that may only be at Foxborough a year, after which they, then be poached to teams that are more advanced in their roster build and potential to contend.
Similarly we haven’t brought in a bright up and comer that will be doing all the new hire circus stuff, ( that happens every year ) at the end of this forthcoming season.

So if gathering a group of coaches that should be available for several years to ensure some Coaching Continuity was one of the gaols, then that’s been achieved.

There has also been a pretty effective weed out of the Belichick “yes men”.

I do rate highly and applaud the continuity angle that seems to have been adopted.

Continuity has merit.

Case in point: Mac Jones.
Year 1 under McDaniels he looked like a great addition .
Year 2 under the two offensive clowns Patrica and Judge he looked like a fish out of water.
Year 3 under BO’B it was a cluster * and it was obvious that BO’B wanted out asap as he was at odds with BB. Similarly MJ looked befuddled and at odds with what either OC or the HC were on about.

I can’t but help wonder how Jones may have faired with a solid and consistent three years under McDaniels.

I do like that Van Pelt and McAdoo have considerable experience and long tenures as coaches who have developed QB’s.

That said I would be very happy if we picked up a mature free agent QB, EVEN if we use pick three to take a young QB.
A Jacoby Brissett by way of example would be a good get, for this role.

I don’t worry about our D going forward as it’s is good shape and the spate of D line injuries last season hurt us, significantly.
Plus of all the hires Covington is the one I like the most, as I have confidence in his play calling and my favourite hire is Hightower ( one of my all time favourite Patriots - who with out we don’t beat Seattle, Atlanta or Rams in the respective Super Bowls).

Our O line has been a total dogs breakfast for several years now, in both protection for the QB and any offensive toys, for the QB to be able to throw to.

I also am slightly encouraged that we lost a half a dozen games last season by less than 7 points.
I don’t think we are as bad as the win loss ratio indicates, add this to the background of instability and political conniving that was festering in the wings of the organisation in the second half or the season and it collectively added up to unsavoury sore.
Now that the boil has been lanced, it’s time to heal and move on forward.

If we can pick up some good pieces in free agency and concentrate on drafting early for O talent and then once that’s done, take some D depth late then we will trend upwards next season.

The place had become so infiltrated with Belichickian think and yes men, that it’s needed a serious and urgent refresh.

On a side note I do chuckle and shake my head at peeps that constantly trot out the no Brady - no Belichick line.
It just reads selective information and choosing to miss the full story.

Never any mention that in a short time frame the team also lost: Gronk, Jules, and protection from Joe Thuney.
Take Mahomes, Kelce and either of Rashee Rice or Mecole Hardeman JR and Thuey’s protection - and I dare say that KC come
Back to the pack too.

This rebuild and roster blow up is and was long overdue, it’s been on the back of a two Dynasty run of terror over twenty years that has alienated the majority of other NFL teams fans.

It’s now our time to have to rebuild and I for one am eager and excited to see how long it takes.

Long spiel- but in summary.

The new coaching hires are a fresh start so I will embrace it and strap myself in for what will undoubtedly be a turbulent ride.

Last edited:
Get the ridicule ( and deservingly so ) that we will get for the whole Jones fiasco.

But at the back of my mind I can’t help but think what might have been, had McDaniels not gone to Vegas.
In his first year Jones looked really promising.

The next two years he plummeted at an alarming rate.
Almost as alarming as the powers to be thinking 🤔 that putting Patrica and Judge is as joint OC was a good idea …….. ffs ……. talk about a disaster waiting to happen.

Then the infantile situation last season when BB refused to talk to Jones and BB & BO’B were at war with each other on an epic scale.
BO’B walking out of meetings with BB, make no mistake BO’B checked out of Foxborough a long time before the last five games of the season.

Sure Jones pissed BB off big time, going outside the organisation for coaching advise and he has been petulant himself, so too adding fuel to the fire.

But I can’t not but think that the way the whole Jones situation has played out is a real cluster*.

I wish him well and I suspect he will reinvent himself and find some confidence behind Lawrence and with Uncle Doug as senior Coach.

And another point Kraft Senior needs to stay the * away from list management and backing his favourite players.
It’s unhelpful at best and cancerous at worst.

Last edited:
So far, the Pats have resigned Onwenu (OL), Henry (TE) and Bourne (WR), brought in Jacoby Brissett (QB), Antonio Gibson (RB) and Chukwuma Okorafor (OL). They've let go some largely irrelevant players. I'd like some positional skill splash moves but thus far, can't fault their start to FA.

Agree I too like what we have done thus far, as I posted previously I was hoping that we went after Brissett.
It’s a friendly contract at 8 million and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he actually put some real heat on for the Starting QB spot in training camp.

Pretty much taken care of re-signing guys on the roster that were keepers, whilst cutting some dead wood off.

With Brissett on board, I would still go QB with pick 3, plus I would also shunt Zappe off as well and go another QB late with a speculative pick / or target a recycled second stringer with a better prospects.
Probably gone by the time we move back into the draft for a second QB but for me I am intrigued just when both Rattler and Milton come off the white board, each have some aspects of their game that I find appealing.

I think it fair to say that neither Jones or Zappe had “keep me” vibes coming from their output last year. I still think Jones had more keep me virtues than Zappe but Jones needed a fresh start as the baggage and ill will was a bridge too far.

Hopefully a couple of signing in the O line still to come, to patch up some of our deficiencies.
I actually think our D is in ok shape, injury not talent was what hurt our D last season.

Pass protection and Wide Reciever will be our priority after we use pick 3 on our new QB.

I am not expecting any big splashy signings in FA, as I get the impression that New England isn’t a desirable destination right at the minute.
Suspect we need a year or two of good young draftees to improve our roster before any better credentialed players will see us as an attractive place to move to.

I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that this draft is a consolation of youth and that next season will be a more competitive effort, but not enough to be playoffs bound.

The season after that is when I am expecting us to start our assent towards becoming an more improved team.

Agree I too like what we have done thus far, as I posted previously I was hoping that we went after Brissett.
It’s a friendly contract at 8 million and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he actually put some real heat on for the Starting QB spot in training camp.

Pretty much taken care of re-signing guys on the roster that were keepers, whilst cutting some dead wood off.

With Brissett on board, I would still go QB with pick 3, plus I would also shunt Zappe off as well and go another QB late with a speculative pick / or target a recycled second stringer with a better prospects.
Probably gone by the time we move back into the draft for a second QB but for me I am intrigued just when both Rattler and Milton come off the white board, each have some aspects of their game that I find appealing.

I think it fair to say that neither Jones or Zappe had “keep me” vibes coming from their output last year. I still think Jones had more keep me virtues than Zappe but Jones needed a fresh start as the baggage and ill will was a bridge too far.

Hopefully a couple of signing in the O line still to come, to patch up some of our deficiencies.
I actually think our D is in ok shape, injury not talent was what hurt our D last season.

Pass protection and Wide Reciever will be our priority after we use pick 3 on our new QB.

I am not expecting any big splashy signings in FA, as I get the impression that New England isn’t a desirable destination right at the minute.
Suspect we need a year or two of good young draftees to improve our roster before any better credentialed players will see us as an attractive place to move to.

I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that this draft is a consolation of youth and that next season will be a more competitive effort, but not enough to be playoffs bound.

The season after that is when I am expecting us to start our assent towards becoming an more improved team.
When reviewing this draft in a few years, if it lands us our generational QB, I'll consider it a raving success.

It should have been obvious early this sham docuseries was nothing more than a bash Belichick, lavish praise on the stupid old owner, whose production company, surprise surprise, made it.

I'm glad Patriot greats are supporting BB and calling out the ******* Krafts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back