National AFL Women's League - Carlton Wins Licence - Post #136

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyway..........and playing devils advocate here:

Is there any likelihood that having a ladies team, may be a drain on resources?
Something I learned a long time ago: A separate entity largely requires a separate administration.
Not sure whether this is happening with our ladies team or whether we're just squeezing the running through the channels we currently have in place.
As good as it may be in principle to have a ladies team, we wouldn't want to be squeezing resources to do this.

Anyone know who's going to be running the growth of this league, for us?

Anyway..........and playing devils advocate here:

Is there any likelihood that having a ladies team, may be a drain on resources?
Something I learned a long time ago: A separate entity largely requires a separate administration.
Not sure whether this is happening with our ladies team or whether we're just squeezing the running through the channels we currently have in place.
As good as it may be in principle to have a ladies team, we wouldn't want to be squeezing resources to do this.

Anyone know who's going to be running the growth of this league, for us?

Theres always a chance when something like this is done. The AFL is it in its inauguaral season, and slowly reducing the funds until they can self support. Wages arent going to be an issue - unless clubs go mental putting players on staff to retain them - this could be an issue idown the track depending on how rigid the cap rules are - theres a real risk there I think.

I think most administrative tasks can be handled in the clubs existing administration, but there will probably be a separate CEO for the womens side (as brisbane have done) or an operations manager (as Collingwood have done). Most other functions should be combined with the mens - noting that the womens coimpetition runs during the mens pre-season.

Theres always a chance when something like this is done. The AFL is it in its inauguaral season, and slowly reducing the funds until they can self support. Wages arent going to be an issue - unless clubs go mental putting players on staff to retain them - this could be an issue idown the track depending on how rigid the cap rules are - theres a real risk there I think.
I think most administrative tasks can be handled in the clubs existing administration, but there will probably be a separate CEO for the womens side (as brisbane have done) or an operations manager (as Collingwood have done). Most other functions should be combined with the mens - noting that the womens coimpetition runs during the mens pre-season.

That would be my largest concern.

You can add a staff member here and a staff member there to take care of the everyday tasks but if Trigg was anointed to run the womens team, something would likely give.
The two teams can be complementary at times, but there could be a possibility of the guts being over-stretched.

No doubt Trigg and the board are a lot more pragmatic about what we've entered into and will setup the right structure for growth and maintenance.

That would be my largest concern.

You can add a staff member here and a staff member there to take care of the everyday tasks but if Trigg was anointed to run the womens team, something would likely give.
The two teams can be complementary at times, but there could be a possibility of the guts being over-stretched.

No doubt Trigg and the board are a lot more pragmatic about what we've entered into and will setup the right structure for growth and maintenance.

Depends if we go for a whole of club approach or if we treat them as two distinct clubs. I suspect there'll be a lot of dulpication though to reduce costs.

Depends if we go for a whole of club approach or if we treat them as two distinct clubs. I suspect there'll be a lot of dulpication though to reduce costs.

No doubt there will be and it's somewhat easy to slip an extra person into membership, payroll, property steward but it's the bigger picture that needs to be run independently and it should be.
CEO's & Marketing Managers are the first that come to mind and no doubt there will be other departments that may need to be split.

Whichever way though.........someone has to handle that for now and it's likely to be the people we currently have in place.
Just wouldn't want Trigg having too much on his plate and missing out on a major corporate sponsor or other beneficial opportunities.

Maybe having the Womens League is just that huge opportunity.........Maybe.

Maybe having the Womens League is just that huge opportunity.........Maybe.

I have my own doubts about the whole thing - if the league was taking it seriously it wouldnt just be an 8 week competition in the offseason with the express purpose of filling in what the AFL calls a content gap. If they were serious there'd be more than $25,000 on offer for marquees.

Hear that Wook. Real toe in the water stuff isn't it?

Its a half assed approach that i hope pays off, and probably will through sheer bloody mindness and endless amounts of cash from the Commission. Kind of like the Swans.

Well you gotta start somewhere.

You do. Im just not sure that jumping the gun before you have the talent helps the league fire up as well as it might have if they'd waited until the original 2020 timeline. I think licenses SHOULD have been awarded this year, and then spent two to three years developing the talent before the launch. Im also not sold on tying the teams to existing clubs when not all clubs are getting them. I wouldnt have minded sharing facilities and basing themselves somewhere, but sharing the branding isnt ideal IMO.

Still, we have what we have, and what we have gets my support.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/car...g/news-story/8e2ec828dd7dc87b6223459b6e741010

IF YOU visited Ikon Park in January this year, you would have noticed something odd.
More than 100 female footballers were sweating it out as the mercury peaked close to 40 degrees, as part of AFL Victoria’s academy program.

Among the participants were novices with elite backgrounds in netball, soccer and athletics, as well as some of the game’s premier stars like Daisy Pearce and Katie Brennan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In other news, my workplace is sponsoring one of the women's teams for the next few years (can't say which yet). They attempted to sponsor a different one first, but they turned their noses up at us and gave us a very frosty reception so we took our bags of money elsewhere.

I went to the Carlton Listens to Women forum on Thursday and met Lauren and Darcy. Very nice people and are very happy to be part of the club, working on establising a team and going to wear the best jumper in the business.

Things I heard
  • Damien Keeping is the best in the biz
  • He started at the club 3 weeks ago
  • Theres talk of the game plan being similar to the men, but nothing certain on that
  • Army has been Lauren's mentor - been fantastic, making himself available to her and any of the other women in the academy. Coming to watch games and support.
Edit: i forgot, there is some push to have the womens league final as the curtain raiser to the Carlton v Tuggers opening game to the season. That'd be great.

Last edited:
I went to the Carlton Listens to Women forum on Thursday and met Lauren and Darcy. Very nice people and are very happy to be part of the club, working on establising a team and going to wear the best jumper in the business.

Things I heard
  • Damien Keeping is the best in the biz
  • He started at the club 3 weeks ago
  • Theres talk of the game plan being similar to the men, but nothing certain on that
  • Army has been Lauren's mentor - been fantastic, making himself available to her and any of the other women in the academy. Coming to watch games and support.

They can use the same game plan as the men, just don't interpret it poorly like the men.

aflwrookies.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back