National AFL Women's League - Carlton Wins Licence - Post #136

Remove this Banner Ad

I have pestered mods about starting up a dedicated women’s footy thread a few times. On the back of the growing rumours that TL15 and I are on the verge of becoming mods ;) I thought I’d just start it myself.

I’m not sure why, but this issue has really caught my eye. I don’t watch a lot of women’s sport, but it just seems super exciting news (to me). I’m glad that female footballers will finally get the chance to compete at an elite level in the game I love so much, that it gives young girls a pathway to aim for and role models to look up to and that it should bring more fans to the game.

I have to admit that possibly the main reason I am excited is that Carlton are fighting for a team license. If successful, it could help boost the fortunes of the entire club including the men’s team, by attracting more supporters/members/attendances etc. Feel free to judge me on that (but only if positively).

Also, I think Carlton’s keenness to be involved is a sign of Carlton’s new-found willingness to be a cutting-edge thinker – if taking 120 years to see equal opportunity can be considered cutting-edge….Well, you know what I mean, I can’t imagine Big Jack supporting this. Hats off to Trigg, the board, Kate Jenkins, BB, anyone, everyone…whomever is behind the push.

Anyway, I’ll get off my soap box (wait, where’d you all go?) and move on to the footy.

My understanding is that the comp will start next year. Eight team licenses, with four up for grabs in VIC. Dogs and Melbourne seem like montys, given their involvement so far. A number of other clubs vying for the other two VIC licenses, with submissions due by the end of the month. My gut says we’re a good chance as we’re making a lot of noise and can offer Princes Park as a base, not just for our games, but for the rest of the comp.

Not sure what this thread will turn into – links to articles, discussion about the league in general, Carlton’s potential team or discussion about the merits of the whole shebang. Whichever way it goes, I’ve kicked this thread off with a few articles about the comp in general and articles about Carlton's push for a team. Also see here for the official AFL women’s football site.

Women to kick-off 2017 with two-month season

THE INAUGURAL women's football league will kick off with a two-month season in February and March, 2017.

AFL clubs tonight were invited to apply for a licence in the inaugural eight-team competition, with April 29th as the deadline for submissions.

Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs, already competing in this year's 10-game exhibition series, are the front-runners for two of the four Victorian licences.

Teams in SA, WA, NSW and Queensland will make up the rest of the late summer-early autumn season early next year.

Blues want Ikon Park to host women's league

CARLTON hopes its Ikon Park headquarters can become the home of the upcoming national women's football league.

Carlton CEO Steven Trigg reiterated on Wednesday the Blues' strong desire to win one of the licences to field a women's team when the national competition starts next season.

Trigg also said the club hoped Ikon Park could be redeveloped in time to host women's football games from next season.

"We would love to see this as the home of women's footy," Trigg said at the launch of the Northern Football League girls football development program.

Blues to bid for women's team

As women’s football continues to evolve and gather momentum, Carlton will make a serious bid to secure a team in the inaugural 2017 national competition.

With a rich history and multicultural heritage, the Blues are determined to strengthen their club values and field a women’s team next year, with CEO Steven Trigg stating, “the more diverse we are (as a football club), the more we grow”.

Blues immersed in girls' development

More than 150 junior female footballers from the Northern Football League converged on Ikon Park today, taking part in a development program.

With the Blues aiming to secure a licence for a women’s team in the inaugural competition next season, Carlton is authentically immersing itself in the development of young female footballers.

The program, which runs throughout the year and is open to girls aged between eight and 18, includes six free two-hour sessions held over the school holidays.

Launched today at Ikon Park, Carlton CEO Steven Trigg was on hand to welcome representatives from the Northern Football League and AFL Victoria.

> Included interview with Trigg talking about program above, our chances of winning a license plus more

Blues appoint female footy ambassador

When Lauren Arnell talks about football you can hear the passion in her voice, her face lights up and there’s an unmissable sparkle in her eye.

“I was one of those kids who if you named any player in the AFL I could tell you who they played for and what number they wore,” Arnell said.

Since falling in love with the game as a little girl, Arnell has become a decorated player, a Level 2 coach, and now, a valued employee of the Carlton Football Club.

The eight-time Darebin premiership player has become the Blues’ first-ever Visy Female Football Ambassador, a position she’s relishing and doesn’t take lightly.

After making the decision 18 months ago to decrease her full-time hours as a PE teacher to concentrate on forging a career in football, Arnell couldn’t be happier at Ikon Park.

“I think the fact they’re (Carlton) certainly genuine about female football and they’ve also shown they’re genuine in developing me – I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else right now,” Arnell said.

Carlton realise women are people too! Whoa...(a little artistic license taken here)

Article discussing poor female membership at Carlton, new Carlton mascot Navy Nina and female footy participation.

EDIT: Link may not work. Try googling 'Navy Nina to be unveiled as Carlton's new mascot'. It's a Feral Scum (HS) article. True headline is Carlton determined to right decades-long gender imbalance at the Blues.

Introducing Navy Nina

Hi there Bluebaggers,

It’s Navy Nina here!

Since moving to Australia many moons ago, I’ve been sitting in the stands watching my cousin Captain Carlton have all the fun – now it’s my turn!

Using my superpowers to zoom around the MCG on Blue Betty and abseil into Etihad Stadium will be a piece of cake, I’ve always been adventurous and brave.

With my bright blue hair and shiny superhero outfit, there’s no chance you’ll miss seeing me.

> Includes a video with Navy Nina, Captain Carlton, Murph & Cripps in a photo shoot. Cripps looks the most superhero of all….

Last edited:

The only womens sport I dont mind watching is soccer. - and thats national teams competing.... They play harder then the men - dont dive and carry on like *******s, and its actually a more skillful game. I see their version of AFL not reaching those heights...but maybe pip womens basketball/cricket/netball in terms of barely any recognition and coverage (netball being the one to buck the trend lately) Sad but true, might get a decent run in Victoria only but yeah. I am speculating of course....and finally...us men can oogle over the womens players for a change - not that they will like that much - equality is kinda dead.

Time will tell, and maybe prove me wrong - which I dont mind. I am pretty sure the A league is still going through growing pains to this very day to get accepted and this was on the back of a successful 2006 mens world cup campaign..... I am sure most have never heard of the W league. That is what I feel will happen with this. And im not against it at all.

Great initiative from Carlton and the AFL. Even if the funds the AFL and the clubs put into it doesn't initially pay for its self, if you to take a bigger picture view it has to in the long term get more women watching the mens game and allowing their kids to play the game, thus growing the game overall.

It is amazing how short sighted FA have been in renumerating womens players given the pathetic deal for the Austrailan Womens team.

Great initiative from Carlton and the AFL. Even if the funds the AFL and the clubs put into it doesn't initially pay for its self, if you to take a bigger picture view it has to in the long term get more women watching the mens game and allowing their kids to play the game, thus growing the game overall.

It is amazing how short sighted FA have been in renumerating womens players given the pathetic deal for the Austrailan Womens team.

In fairness to FA how much do you honestly think the AFL women are going to get paid compared to the blokes??

I have pestered mods about starting up a dedicated women’s footy thread a few times. On the back of the growing rumours that TL15 and I are on the verge of becoming mods ;) I thought I’d just start it myself.

I’m not sure why, but this issue has really caught my eye. I don’t watch a lot of women’s sport, but it just seems super exciting news (to me). I’m glad that female footballers will finally get the chance to compete at an elite level in the game I love so much, that it gives young girls a pathway to aim for and role models to look up to and that it should bring more fans to the game.

I have to admit that possibly the main reason I am excited is that Carlton are fighting for a team license. If successful, it could help boost the fortunes of the entire club including the men’s team, by attracting more supporters/members/attendances etc. Feel free to judge me on that (but only if positively).

Also, I think Carlton’s keenness to be involved is a sign of Carlton’s new-found willingness to be a cutting-edge thinker – if taking 120 years to see equal opportunity can be considered cutting-edge….Well, you know what I mean, I can’t imagine Big Jack supporting this. Hats off to Trigg, the board, Kate Jenkins, BB, anyone, everyone…whomever is behind the push.

Anyway, I’ll get off my soap box (wait, where’d you all go?) and move on to the footy.

My understanding is that the comp will start next year. Eight team licenses, with four up for grabs in VIC. Dogs and Melbourne seem like montys, given their involvement so far. A number of other clubs vying for the other two VIC licenses, with submissions due by the end of the month. My gut says we’re a good chance as we’re making a lot of noise and can offer Princes Park as a base, not just for our games, but for the rest of the comp.

Not sure what this thread will turn into – links to articles, discussion about the league in general, Carlton’s potential team or discussion about the merits of the whole shebang. Whichever way it goes, I’ve kicked this thread off with a few articles about the comp in general and articles about Carlton's push for a team. Also see here for the official AFL women’s football site.

Women to kick-off 2017 with two-month season

THE INAUGURAL women's football league will kick off with a two-month season in February and March, 2017.

AFL clubs tonight were invited to apply for a licence in the inaugural eight-team competition, with April 29th as the deadline for submissions.

Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs, already competing in this year's 10-game exhibition series, are the front-runners for two of the four Victorian licences.

Teams in SA, WA, NSW and Queensland will make up the rest of the late summer-early autumn season early next year.

Blues want Ikon Park to host women's league

CARLTON hopes its Ikon Park headquarters can become the home of the upcoming national women's football league.

Carlton CEO Steven Trigg reiterated on Wednesday the Blues' strong desire to win one of the licences to field a women's team when the national competition starts next season.

Trigg also said the club hoped Ikon Park could be redeveloped in time to host women's football games from next season.

"We would love to see this as the home of women's footy," Trigg said at the launch of the Northern Football League girls football development program.

Blues to bid for women's team

As women’s football continues to evolve and gather momentum, Carlton will make a serious bid to secure a team in the inaugural 2017 national competition.

With a rich history and multicultural heritage, the Blues are determined to strengthen their club values and field a women’s team next year, with CEO Steven Trigg stating, “the more diverse we are (as a football club), the more we grow”.

Blues immersed in girls' development

More than 150 junior female footballers from the Northern Football League converged on Ikon Park today, taking part in a development program.

With the Blues aiming to secure a licence for a women’s team in the inaugural competition next season, Carlton is authentically immersing itself in the development of young female footballers.

The program, which runs throughout the year and is open to girls aged between eight and 18, includes six free two-hour sessions held over the school holidays.

Launched today at Ikon Park, Carlton CEO Steven Trigg was on hand to welcome representatives from the Northern Football League and AFL Victoria.

> Included interview with Trigg talking about program above, our chances of winning a license plus more

Blues appoint female footy ambassador

When Lauren Arnell talks about football you can hear the passion in her voice, her face lights up and there’s an unmissable sparkle in her eye.

“I was one of those kids who if you named any player in the AFL I could tell you who they played for and what number they wore,” Arnell said.

Since falling in love with the game as a little girl, Arnell has become a decorated player, a Level 2 coach, and now, a valued employee of the Carlton Football Club.

The eight-time Darebin premiership player has become the Blues’ first-ever Visy Female Football Ambassador, a position she’s relishing and doesn’t take lightly.

After making the decision 18 months ago to decrease her full-time hours as a PE teacher to concentrate on forging a career in football, Arnell couldn’t be happier at Ikon Park.

“I think the fact they’re (Carlton) certainly genuine about female football and they’ve also shown they’re genuine in developing me – I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else right now,” Arnell said.

Carlton realise women are people too! Whoa...(a little artistic license taken here)

Article discussing poor female membership at Carlton, new Carlton mascot Navy Nina and female footy participation.

EDIT: Link may not work. Try googling 'Navy Nina to be unveiled as Carlton's new mascot'. It's a Feral Scum (HS) article. True headline is Carlton determined to right decades-long gender imbalance at the Blues.

Introducing Navy Nina

Hi there Bluebaggers,

It’s Navy Nina here!

Since moving to Australia many moons ago, I’ve been sitting in the stands watching my cousin Captain Carlton have all the fun – now it’s my turn!

Using my superpowers to zoom around the MCG on Blue Betty and abseil into Etihad Stadium will be a piece of cake, I’ve always been adventurous and brave.

With my bright blue hair and shiny superhero outfit, there’s no chance you’ll miss seeing me.

> Includes a video with Navy Nina, Captain Carlton, Murph & Cripps in a photo shoot. Cripps looks the most superhero of all….
Hey wait, your gut speaks?
I thought all that wind and noise came from lower down..
Seriously though ferris that is a hell of a post, my 7 year old daughter asked me last night if the girls footy is on tv this year. I had to say I didn't think so. Maybe next year.
She loves her soccer and while I love that she does, (6 goals in her first praccy game! Changing her name to Cahilla or Diego.)
Would love everyones daughter to be able to see a clear path to top level footy, if they were good enough of course. I live about five hundred metres from the fence of my local footy ground and I never used to hear the girls on training nights, now I do. They are nearly as loud and they swear just as much as the blokes do.
******* good sign I reckon....

Last edited:
In fairness to FA how much do you honestly think the AFL women are going to get paid compared to the blokes??
The women in the AFL will get a minimal amount as there are 8 x25 players to pay.

The Matildas there are 15 or so. Given what they have achieved you would think they could find $100k/year/ player so they don't need to shoot nude calendars to fund there careers . It is should be about providing careers for women soccer players and role models for women while growing their game within the other 50% of the population within a competitive landscape of all sports. Creates a bigger pie for all involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The women in the AFL will get a minimal amount as there are 8 x25 players to pay.

The Matildas there are 15 or so. Given what they have achieved you would think they could find $100k/year/ player so they don't need to shoot nude calendars to fund there careers . It is should be about providing careers for women soccer players and role models for women while growing their game within the other 50% of the population within a competitive landscape of all sports. Creates a bigger pie for all involved.

Unfortunately it all gets back to sponsorship and TV deals. The W League is starting to get a following but it is nowhere near mainstream enough for most people to watch. This isn't just exclusive to women's sport though. It is sad that many athletes get paid bugger all to do what they love because what they play is not popular enough. I think the issue is much broader than just women's sport.

A good (and long overdue) start. Let's hope the league gets a proper level of funding to give it a genuine chance of success.

Unfortunately it all gets back to sponsorship and TV deals. The W League is starting to get a following but it is nowhere near mainstream enough for most people to watch. This isn't just exclusive to women's sport though. It is sad that many athletes get paid bugger all to do what they love because what they play is not popular enough. I think the issue is much broader than just women's sport.
That is the short term thinking holding the game back. Promote womens soccer even if it loses money and no one watches it to create greater interest in mens soccer which is where the money is. Increase the number of women who watch soccer and the value of the television rights increases. It is a low cost way of growing the game.

Classic loss leader.

Ser
That is the short term thinking holding the game back. Promote womens soccer even if it loses money and no one watches it to create greater interest in mens soccer which is where the money is. Increase the number of women who watch soccer and the value of the television rights increases. It is a low cost way of growing the game.

Classic loss leader.
Seriously, what are you doing bringing common sense here?

A good (and long overdue) start. Let's hope the league gets a proper level of funding to give it a genuine chance of success.
With all the coin they are wasting on GWS to make that work surely they can see the funds would be well spent getting the womens league up and running properly. I'd love to see a women's match on before each of the AFL matches it would be like the good old days when you could get a days fix of Blues matches Under 19's, Reserves, and then the Seniors (Geez I miss those days)

If this gets up and running and the Blues field a team, I just hope that Stephanie Simpson gets to play for us. I've drifted away over the years, but was a friend of the family and they are mad Carlton supporters. She's trained at the club and featured in a few pics and articles.

If this gets up and running and the Blues field a team, I just hope that Stephanie Simpson gets to play for us. I've drifted away over the years, but was a friend of the family and they are mad Carlton supporters. She's trained at the club and featured in a few pics and articles.
Can she run through the midfield?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back