News Nathan Bassett Departs

Remove this Banner Ad

What would the pitch to a prospective assistant look like? You'll have to move cities, we won't pay you any more than your current club, we won't offer you any more opportunity or career progression than your current club - what do you say?

We could probably get a recently retired, relatively low profile player looking for a first opportunity or someone out of the system from a lower level but people would complain about that too.

Ultimately the soft cap is another mechanism that favours Victorian clubs. Without the ability to choose how much we spend and where we spend it, we're totally hamstrung looking for off field staff.
Interstate clubs should lobby the AFL for a relocation or COLA subsidy for assistant coaches (not players) as an incentive to move across borders.

Our financial situation must be a hell of a lot worse than what they make out..

But isn't kochie bringing in profits left right and centre??????

You realise everyone is operating under the same (low) football department soft cap which would more or less standardise pay for these positions across the league?

Remember Koch being proud our staff would be coached because it's the sign of a successful football program? What does it mean when you scapegoat a coach you had offered a contract to?

We could probably get a recently retired, relatively low profile player looking for a first opportunity or someone out of the system from a lower level but people would complain about that too.
When it became clear we weren't poaching an existing coach from anywhere, a recently retired player was my best hope. The fact of the matter is whoever it is won't really get any strong say over Donuts anyway, at least if you'd gotten a recently retired player they might be able to pass on a tiny bit of what they learnt under their own coach to our players, however small it would be. At this point Goldsack is more loser mentality group think.

That all being said even as a complete newbie, would you bother working under Donuts? I can't imagine there's a player across the entire AFL - even those who come to us from other teams - that see Donuts and think he's a genius. If you were serious about building a coaching career, why run the risk of being publicly scapegoated coaching under a fraud that's going to teach you nothing?

Thats exactly what this is. although I wouldn't call an ex-Collingwood player low profile.

Goldsack was always going to end up on the coaching panel, theres no other reason for him to be here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats exactly what this is. although I wouldn't call an ex-Collingwood player low profile.

Goldsack was always going to end up on the coaching panel, theres no other reason for him to be here.

Played in an AFL grand final and coached the Port Magpies to finals, which was a fair effort given the unbalanced squad and number of teenagers and top up players in key positions. He did better than he is given credit for.

Played in an AFL grand final and coached the Port Magpies to finals, which was a fair effort given the unbalanced squad and number of teenagers and top up players in key positions. He did better than he is given credit for.
I like how invested he seems from watching the B&F & hearing other interviews, he genuinely gives a s**t & not just about the AFL listed guys.

He was defence coach for 3 years. 1 being a Grand Final year. He then Coached their VFL side.

Goldsack was moonlighting as our Reserves coach while playing local football.
If being defensive co-ordinator (2018-2019) was actually anything of note it seems he was promptly demoted to an assistant development coach role following the 2019 grand final.

Prior to this he was an analyst at WB and GWS.

Maybe we can't attract anyone worthwhile?. If you're an assistant coach why on earth would you want to work under Daddy Donuts? Seriously, what's the pull? At the moment, you'd opt to go to West Coast, North or Suns before Port for your development.

North have Clarkson, Gold Coast have Hardwick and West Coast have Adam Simpson so that would actually be a no-brainer.

I've got hope for Goldsack tbh there's something about the guy, hard to tell at SANFL level when it's now a development dictated role with wildly unbalanced sides and 5th tier top-ups.

It's inward thinking as usual from the club, but it might be one that goes against the grain & works.
I have said it before, but if Goldsack brings the Malthouse hard nosed defensive tactics he learnt off Mick and continued by Buckley, then I can live with him getting the job. He's a premiership defender. Can't say that about Hartlett or Basset the player.

The issue is, can he get Hinkley to allow his style?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back