News Nathan Bassett Departs

Remove this Banner Ad

Hartlett was Hinklified years ago. Stay away
Yeah I like Hamish but I'll never get over that time he talked about the "success" the club had had in the midst of our longest drought in the 150 year history of the club.

It should be a non-negotiable that whoever gets in understands that success = premierships and anything else is failure.

Yeah I like Hamish but I'll never get over that time he talked about the "success" the club had had in the midst of our longest drought in the 150 year history of the club.

It should be a non-negotiable that whoever gets in understands that success = premierships and anything else is failure.
For old farts like me what you’re saying is 100% correct, if you don’t win the flag the season has been a failure.
Unfortunately football clubs are not what they used to be, it was always about winning the flag because that was all there was flags and finals was the only way.
Now clubs are not just about winning it’s more focused on making profits because financial success has become the driving force of sporting organisations and especially AFL teams.
Only one team can win the flag each year but if your like Carlton as an example and have over 100,000 members then they’re winning financially every year even without winning sfa on the football field this century.
Supporters want flags,CEO’s want money flowing in and if you crack a flag then that’s a bonus.

For old farts like me what you’re saying is 100% correct, if you don’t win the flag the season has been a failure.
Unfortunately football clubs are not what they used to be, it was always about winning the flag because that was all there was flags and finals was the only way.
i think these days most would accept, a season is at least a partial success if you are closer to a flag at the end of a season, then the end of the previous season AND you can see the still required steps to a flag are realistically possible. We haven't had that since the end of the 2014 season, so every season since then has been a failure. 2013 and 2014 I think can be called partial successes, but only partial. That we're forced to live off 2 years of partial success by Koch and co., almost a decade later is obviously the issue.

i think these days most would accept, a season is at least a partial success if you are closer to a flag at the end of a season, then the end of the previous season AND you can see the still required steps to a flag are realistically possible. We haven't had that since the end of the 2014 season, so every season since then has been a failure. 2013 and 2014 I think can be called partial successes, but only partial. That we're forced to live off 2 years of partial success by Koch and co., almost a decade later is obviously the issue.
You need to feel that you’re making progress, not just treading water, or drowning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeking vindication for what has been a pretty underwhelming career

Now clubs are not just about winning it’s more focused on making profits because financial success has become the driving force of sporting organisations and especially AFL teams.
Only one team can win the flag each year but if your like Carlton as an example and have over 100,000 members then they’re winning financially every year even without winning sfa on the football field this century.
Supporters want flags,CEO’s want money flowing in and if you crack a flag then that’s a bonus.
That is about it. Clubs are run more like a Corporate company now. Of course, that doesn't mean we should not be striving for flags and on field success with far more then what we have seen via this current group of PAFC leaders.

That is about it. Clubs are run more like a Corporate company now. Of course, that doesn't mean we should not be striving for flags and on field success with far more then what we have seen via this current group of PAFC leaders.
Yeah clubs should for sure.
Remember the old days winning the premiership used to mean a windfall of money, selling club merchandise and all the paraphernalia associated with winning the flag.
It was the be all and end all, now days it’s been replaced with corporate dollars and fancy advertising to keep the membership numbers ticking over.
Thats the landscape of todays game and it’s only going to get more polarising for the mug supporters.

Is the delay in naming his replacement to give us the impression they have been searching far and wide?

Maybe they're looking at a former player currently coaching an AFLW team

I wouldn’t want anyone connected to our Woman’s side.
We need someone recently out of the game from a successful team.

Erin Phillips is a 2 x WNBA winner, 3 x AFLW winner, Olympic silver medalist and Commonwealth Games gold medalist. She has more success individually than literally everyone else employed at our dumbass club has combined, she would be more than qualified to do whatever the hell she likes.

Erin Phillips is a 2 x WNBA winner, 3 x AFLW winner, Olympic silver medalist and Commonwealth Games gold medalist. She has more success individually than literally everyone else employed at our dumbass club has combined, she would be more than qualified to do whatever the hell she likes.
Yeah, but she's a chick so none of that counts.

Erin is as decorated a sportsperson as you can get. Having said that, I don't think she'd be an option but then again we like to be front and centre with progressive s**t over what's best for the football side, so.

I know all of you can vividly picture the Kochead rolling Erin out to a press conference to say we've appointed the first female line coach in the AFL, he'll do about 99% of the talking and Erin will say hello and then the presser finishes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back