Murray FL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Cobram had a very scrappy game today. Tricky to scope as they were missing half a team with cricket finals today.
Cobram after the H&A have been top 3 in the u17’s for 7-8 years . If they aren’t challenging at senior level now they’ve got an issue with retaining and developing players . Moama is entering similar territory .

Maybe it was an audition?

I hear Locky looking MFL way.
Particularly juniors
Would be a fair few of the current MFL clubs who would be severely affected if any club south or west of Echuca were to join . Travel is continually becoming a bigger issue particularly in areas like Shepparton where all clubs in the neighbouring KDFNL are within 75klms of each other .

Would be a fair few of the current MFL clubs who would be severely affected if any club south or west of Echuca were to join . Travel is continually becoming a bigger issue particularly in areas like Shepparton where all clubs in the neighbouring KDFNL are within 75klms of each other .

More travel is inevitable in most leagues and regions across the state as clubs merger or fold.

Times have changed and whilst it would be ideal to have all clubs in a league within a 100km trip in my view it’s outdated thinking.

The fact that there may be so many clubs so close together is now one of the major issues country footy faces as there are now not the populations and participation rates to support that number of clubs.

I also feel as thoughmost players are getting paid so much better than ever before and if they have to travel a few more kms to earn that money then so be it.

times have changed and country footy is at a real crossroads

Matthew Daniel in his speech on Saturday night at the team of the decade dinner for Labrador, told everyone he is leaving and heading back to Victoria to live on his partners family farm in Tongala? Has he signed at Tonny?

More travel is inevitable in most leagues and regions across the state as clubs merger or fold.

Times have changed and whilst it would be ideal to have all clubs in a league within a 100km trip in my view it’s outdated thinking.

The fact that there may be so many clubs so close together is now one of the major issues country footy faces as there are now not the populations and participation rates to support that number of clubs.

I also feel as thoughmost players are getting paid so much better than ever before and if they have to travel a few more kms to earn that money then so be it.

times have changed and country footy is at a real crossroads
You seem to have missed the point I was getting at . Players who don’t get paid which makes up 3 football side and 6 netball sides in the MFL are more inclined to play in places where there is less travel . Additionally , if LBU were to join the MFL they would join Moama and Echuca United as clubs trying to recruit out of Echuca for MFL players and I’d suggest United and Moama have hardly dominated the competition . Another thing to consider is the affect joining a comp like the MFL would have on LBU’s recruiting or maintaining people who work or live within the Bendigo region . Bendigo to Mulwala or Finley is a significant hike especially when Bendigo is so close to other leagues and Melbourne .

You seem to have missed the point I was getting at . Players who don’t get paid which makes up 3 football side and 6 netball sides in the MFL are more inclined to play in places where there is less travel . Additionally , if LBU were to join the MFL they would join Moama and Echuca United as clubs trying to recruit out of Echuca for MFL players and I’d suggest United and Moama have hardly dominated the competition . Another thing to consider is the affect joining a comp like the MFL would have on LBU’s recruiting or maintaining people who work or live within the Bendigo region . Bendigo to Mulwala or Finley is a significant hike especially when Bendigo is so close to other leagues and Melbourne .
They could make it make work but I think overall the HDFL appears to be a better fit for them. Moama vs Deni is just around the corner be a pretty even match up would it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Locky have spent the majority of their existence playing against moama and Echuca united, it would be interesting if leitchy followed as well, as they would have similar problems with the change of age.

I think most locals don't mind where the travel is too play footy, and if your so concerned about travel, why don't you let Hay into the picola league?

Locky have spent the majority of their existence playing against moama and Echuca united, it would be interesting if leitchy followed as well, as they would have similar problems with the change of age.

I think most locals don't mind where the travel is too play footy, and if your so concerned about travel, why don't you let Hay into the picola league?
Travel wouldn’t be an issue for Echuca United or Moama , but there are many clubs who would be well over 1 1/2 hours away . Locky has spent the majority of their existence playing Echuca East , Echuca South and Moama when it was a Echuca based comp , not when they were in the Murray league against opponents they play now .
Hay won’t get into the Picola league because at least 13 of the 15 of the current affiliated clubs don’t want them and never have . A discussion which has been had plenty of times often on here with people who have little or no understanding of how things occur around the Shepparton / Yarrawonga region .

Last edited:
Don't most country leagues have an hour to an hour half road trips? It's part of country footy.

I find the latter half of your post hypocritical roar, you have been banging the door down on here saying kids won't come back and play after a year off, yet you disregard the footy lifeblood of a town of 2,500 people. How long can a town travel 3 hours every second week to play footy when there's an easier alternative, to keep a town playing sport. Shouldn't the picola league show some leadership and look at the bigger picture of country sport, is the picola league held ransom by the clubs? Isn't a decision like that a decision for the league, not just put in the too hard basket and put the blame on clubs not wanting Hay.

Travel wouldn’t be an issue for Echuca United or Moama , but there are many clubs who would be well over 1 1/2 hours away . Locky has spent the majority of their existence playing Echuca East , Echuca South and Moama when it was a Echuca based comp , not when they were in the Murray league against opponents they play now .
Hay won’t get into the Picola league because at least 13 of the 15 of the current affiliated clubs don’t want them and never have . A discussion which has been had plenty of times often on here with people who have little or no understanding of how things occur around the Shepparton / Yarrawonga region .

Don't most country leagues have an hour to an hour half road trips? It's part of country footy.

I find the latter half of your post hypocritical roar, you have been banging the door down on here saying kids won't come back and play after a year off, yet you disregard the footy lifeblood of a town of 2,500 people. How long can a town travel 3 hours every second week to play footy when there's an easier alternative, to keep a town playing sport. Shouldn't the picola league show some leadership and look at the bigger picture of country sport, is the picola league held ransom by the clubs? Isn't a decision like that a decision for the league, not just put in the too hard basket and put the blame on clubs not wanting Hay.
No not all leagues have 1 1/2 hr trips , IIRC all KDFNL clubs are within 3/4 hr of each other.
Shepparton to Hay is 2 plus hours as is Echuca to Hay , I'd suspect likewise Yarrawonga to Hay where a large amount of Picola League players work and or live.
A leagues obligation is its current clubs interests which most are compelled via their rules / constitutions .
Helping one town of 2500 at the expense of 3-4 at least others is not common sense.
Interestingly the Murray League who covers a very similar area has bent over backwards over the past 10 years trying to gain clubs yet Hay has never been linked, does that tell you something ?
Furthermore , I am not aware of any application or similar from Hay to join Picola league in the past 10 years.
Not saying I would know and that it hasn't happened , but I am not aware of it.

Last edited:
No not all leagues have 1 1/2 hr trips , IIRC all KDFNL clubs are within 3/4 hr of each other.
Shepparton to Hay is 2 plus hours as is Echuca to Hay , I'd suspect likewise Yarrawonga to Hay where a large amount of Picola League players work and or live.
A leagues obligation is its current clubs interests which most are compelled via their rules / constitutions .
Helping one town of 2500 at the expense of 3-4 at least others is not common sense.
Interestingly the Murray League who covers a very similar area has bent over backwards over the past 10 years trying to gain clubs yet Hay has never been linked, does that tell you something ?
Furthermore , I am not aware of any application or similar from Hay to join Picola league in the past 10 years.
The AFL GM Released the average travel of each club as part of discussions of Broadford joining before they made their decision to head to the Outer East. Some clubs avg Travel was only 30km Violet Town had the largest avg. Travel of any club of 68km

I did say most leagues roar, I reckon the kdfl are lucky and in the minority of travel times, incidentally would Locky go there as well, although it would be a step down from the hdfl and it looks like they could easily compete with the Murray clubs.

It would be fair step up in standard for hay to go from the golden rivers into the Murray league roar, maybe they haven't tried for a while as in my opinion the golden rivers league will most likely cease in the next 5 years, where Hay will have no other option but to join the picola league

Wouldnt it be great having a league consisting of Echuca United, Moama, Nathalia, LGFNC, Tony, LBU, Colbo, Numurkah, Cohuna. Awesome old rivalries. Any other clubs to add?
Image that. You could have one that goes the other way and have:
Alexandra
Congupna
Dookie
Katamatite
Katandra
Benalla All Black
Mansfield
Mulwala
Shepp East
Tungamah
Violet Town