Draft Expert ModernArtillery 2022 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
MA I would be interested in your thoughts on Munkara given he’s from SA, got off to a good start then in a puff of smoke disappeared.
I think it's pretty hard to deny his x-factor and ability to impact games in short bursts. He's still really raw and I feel he has a lot of work to do to get himself into a position where he can compete at AFL level. He'll have to improve his running capacity and demonstrate he can fit into a role within an AFL structure. I often talk about players' success being dependent on role/fit/environment etc. I feel those things will be really important for Munkara.

A really refreshing. interesting list; well researched and thought out. Thank you.

As a mature age player does Ethan Phillips not fit into your categories, or do you rate him below 51?
I have Phillips below 51. My view is that he's more of a top-end State League player, rather than a clear best 22 AFL player. I view him similarly to someone like Sam Skinner, whose size and ability to read the ball is elite at that level below, but he struggled with the speed of the game and superior athletes at AFL level. I feel those challenges will be similar for Phillips.

Full disclosure - I was up late last night with my newborn son and put on a Gippy Power game (he wasn't impressed but it was for me, not him). I'd like to unreservedly apologise for the sheer disrespect to Coby Burgiel in my final rankings.
I'm glad you opened the door because it was a point of issue for me, also curious on the absence of Noah seLong

I'm glad you opened the door because it was a point of issue for me, also curious on the absence of Noah seLong
Yeah I let myself down on that one.. Closer to the right result in the end I think!

Long is a fine player. I like him but don't love him and have him in that extended tier 5. There are so many of those smaller types and to be honest, you could pretty easily talk me into any of them. Maybe I'll watch some Noah Long while I'm up late tonight and we can have this chat again in the morning :tearsofjoy:

Cocomelon cup final not on?
I was way past Cocomelon at that point :tearsofjoy:

Very busy period for me but I'll try to get at least one more update of my rankings out before the draft. I've had to do my due diligence on Jack O'Sullivan and Max Gruzewski, who are both risers as a result.

I've always believed in Phillipou's talent, but aside from the aerial capability, I've always had a little bit of concern about his speed around stoppage. His testing put to bed any concerns about his speed and with further development I'm sure he'll be able to utilise it more effectively to exit the contest. I'm still a strong believer in Elijah Hewett as a borderline top 5 talent and would happily use an early selection on him. It seems as if he's likely to feature in the second half of the first round (and beyond) which I think represents extremely good value. I think Cadman's rise to a top selection is partially to do with his form (which has obviously been strong) and partly to do with the lack of top-end key position talent. I prefer some of the top end midfielders in isolation, but list structure and composition would obviously play a role if I was coming from a club perspective.

1. Harry Sheezel
2. George Wardlaw
3. Will Ashcroft
4. Mattaes Phillipou
5. Elijah Tsatas
6. Elijah Hewett
7. Jhye Clark
8. Bailey Humphrey
9. Aaron Cadman
10. Mitch Szybkowski

There's not a lot of separation between Mackenzie and Szybkowski, with the two pretty interchangeable for me. I feel like Szybkowski has a bit more speed from stoppage and can be more damaging with his kicking, however I'm relying primarily on tape so defer to others on that one. I think Busslinger and Hayes are 100+ game key defenders at AFL level and would gladly take them in the first round. Hotton is the big riser for me. I value his stoppage-craft and ability to impact the scoreboard when going forward. I have Michalanney really high and Jacob Weddle really low. You could mount a genuine case that they're the wrong way around and I wouldn't argue against it. I just really believe in Michalanney's ability to impact the game defensively, against a variety of opposition, and I think the offensive tools are there to be damaging the other way. Stylistically, I'm thinking Dylan Grimes. I just need Max to grab himself a couple of extra cm's height-wise.

11. Cam Mackenzie
12. Jedd Busslinger
13. Lewis Hayes
14. Harry Barnett
15. Olli Hotton
16. Harry Lemmey
17. Alwyn DaveyJr
18. Oliver Hollands
19. Max Michalanney
20. Jaspa Fletcher

Gruzewski and O'Sullivan the big risers here. I've liked O'Sullivan for a while, but had to go back to some vision to remember why I was so high on him. I also got a couple of Gruzewski's early NAB League games too and was really impressed with what I saw from him down back. I think that's the position I see him having the greatest success in at AFL level. After pulling together the Dowling profile, I felt like I'd really underrated his versatility and how well his game translates to AFL footy. I like him on the wing at the next level.

21. Max Gruzewski
22. Jonti Schuback
23. Matthew Jefferson
24. Isaac Keeler
25. Charlie Clarke
26. Jack O'Sullivan
27. Jacob Konstanty
28. Billy Dowling
29. Jakob Ryan
30. Lachie Cowan

I continue to be the biggest Archie Lovelock fan. He's one that I think could just find a way at the next level. I love Burgiel's versatility, but wonder what the game looks like for him at the next level. D'Aloia would've been an incredible prospect in an earlier era, but wonder how the running and athletic limitations impact him at the next level. I like what Will Verrall has to offer as a ruck prospect and am intrigued by Phoenix Foster's size and skill-set.

31. Harry Cole
32. Brayden George
33. Reuben Ginbey
34. Josh Weddle
35. Coby Burgiel
36. Archie Lovelock
37. Sam Gilbey
38. Adam D'Aloia
39. Will Verrall
40. Phoenix Foster
I like that you have Hewett & Szybkowski high on your list, don't think the Saints would pick Szibba before Cmac though.

I like that you have Hewett & Szybkowski high on your list, don't think the Saints would pick Szibba before Cmac though.
Yeah I completely agree. I think Mackenzie will be pretty high on the Saints list for that early selection. I'd say there's probably a strong chance that Szybkowski is available at their second or third pick if they wanted him.

Final Phantom Draft
This has been about a week in the making, but I've finally completed my final phantom draft. I've listed some interesting tidbits and called out some of the more challenging picks below, with some notes on who else I considered for those clubs. I'm sure there's a serious blunder or omission somewhere, but I had to get this out before Twomey :tearsofjoy:

Round 1
1. GWS - Aaron Cadman
2. Brisbane - Will Ashcroft* (matched bid)
3. North Melbourne - Harry Sheezel
4. North Melbourne - George Wardlaw
5. Essendon - Mattaes Phillipou
6. Gold Coast - Reuben Ginbey
7. Hawthorn - Jhye Clark
8. Geelong – Ed Allan
9. West Coast - Elijah Tsatas
10. St Kilda - Cam Mackenzie
11. Carlton - Bailey Humphrey
12. Western Bulldogs – Oliver Hollands
13. West Coast – Jedd Busslinger
14. Melbourne – Harry Barnett
15. Sydney – Matthew Jefferson
16. GWS – Jacob Konstanty
17. Brisbane – Jaspa Fletcher* (matched bid)
18. Collingwood – Lachie Cowan
19. Sydney – Brayden George
20. GWS – Charlie Clarke

Round 2
21. GWS – Elijah Hewett
22. West Coast – Darcy Jones
23. Western Bulldogs – Lewis Hayes
24. GWS – Harry Rowston* (matched bid)
25. Essendon – Olli Hotton
26. Adelaide – Max Michalanney* (matched bid)
27. North Melbourne – Josh Weddle
28. Essendon – Alwyn Davey Jr* (matched bid)
29. Hawthorn – Coby Burgiel
30. Collingwood – Jakob Ryan
31. West Coast – Sam Gilbey
32. Collingwood – Henry Hustwaite
33. St Kilda – Max Gruzewski
34. Carlton – Isaac Keeler
35. Fremantle – Jed Adams
36. St Kilda – Noah Long
37. Port Adelaide – James Van Es
38. Melbourne – Phoenix Foster

Round 3
39. Western Bulldogs – Jaxon Binns
40. North Melbourne – Cooper Harvey
41. Hawthorn – Harry Lemmey
42. Hawthorn – Cooper Vickery* (matched bid)
43. Sydney – Harvey Gallagher
44. Fremantle – Billy Dowling
45. Fremantle – Jed Hagan
46. Gold Coast – Kaleb Smith
47. Carlton – Nick Sadler
48. Richmond – Jovan Petric
49. Geelong – Mitch Szybkowski

Remaining picks
50. Port Adelaide – Jason Gillbee
51. Richmond – Blake Drury
52. Adelaide – Hugh Bond
53. Essendon – Jayden Davey
54. Brisbane – Ethan Phillips

1. I've long been unsure what Melbourne will do with their first round selection. I get the impression that they're not sold on Jefferson, despite being heavily linked to him. Jason Taylor's comments yesterday suggested that they could use their second round pick to address their KPF needs and with a number of options likely to be available in that range (ie Keeler, Gruzewski, Foster, Lemmey, Scully etc), perhaps it makes sense for them to go in a different direction with that first selection.

Taylor also gave some indication that they felt confident a player they liked would be available at their second pick, but were nervous about their first selection. Reading between the lines, I'm taking a guess that Ed Allan is the guy they were hoping to get and I would've had him landing at Melbourne if available at their first pick.

Once I'd decided against Jefferson it came down to Barnett and Brayden George. I think Barnett represents a greater long term need and so he gets the nod in a very close call.

2. I always find Sydney hard to read and with two picks inside the first round it makes phantom drafting really difficult. Jefferson sliding through got the edge over Lachie Cowan with the first of their two picks and Brayden George nudged Darcy Jones for the second selection.

3. St Kilda's pick 33 on-wards has taken me days (which I've only had thanks to catching COVID while on parental leave) and is the part of the draft I'm least satisfied with.

4. The range of some of these players threw me for a loop. In earlier versions I had Max Gruzewski as a first rounder. He ends up at pick 33. I felt most comfortable about Keeler in the 40's but couldn't find an option that made more sense than him for clubs in the 30's. I still wouldn't be overly surprised if he landed in the first round. Jed Adams was another I liked in the 40's but ended up late second round. Harry Lemmey at 40 feels a bit too early. He doesn't really seem like a Sam Mitchell type, but I wanted a KPF there and he felt like the best option left on the board.

5. I couldn't find a club for Adam D'Aloia in the National Draft. I think this is probably closer to 50/50 than many of us expected. When I started the exercise, I didn't expect to land here, but unfortunately it was harder to find a landing spot for him than I anticipated.

6. No Munkara bid might surprise some too. I'm a bit skeptical that a club will bid. Similar to D'Aloia, I think it's probably closer to 50/50 than we think.

Last edited:
This has been about a week in the making, but I've finally completed my final phantom draft. I've listed some interesting tidbits and called out some of the more challenging picks below, with some notes on who else I considered for those clubs. I'm sure there's a serious blunder or omission somewhere, but I had to get this out before Twomey :tearsofjoy:

Round 1
1. GWS - Aaron Cadman
7. Hawthorn - Jhye Clark
8. Geelong – Ed Allan
20. GWS – Charlie Clarke

Round 2
21. GWS – Elijah Hewett
36. St Kilda – Noah Long

Round 3

Remaining picks
52. Adelaide – Hugh Bond

1. I've long been unsure what Melbourne will do with their first round selection. I get the impression that they're not sold on Jefferson, despite being heavily linked to him. Jason Taylor's comments yesterday suggested that they could use their second round pick to address their KPF needs and with a number of options likely to be available in that range (ie Keeler, Gruzewski, Foster, Lemmey, Scully etc), perhaps it makes sense for them to go in a different direction with that first selection.

Taylor also gave some indication that they felt confident a player they liked would be available at their second pick, but were nervous about their first selection. Reading between the lines, I'm taking a guess that Ed Allan is the guy they were hoping to get and I would've had him landing at Melbourne if available at their first pick.

Once I'd decided against Jefferson it came down to Barnett and Brayden George. I think Barnett represents a greater long term need and so he gets the nod in a very close call.

2. I always find Sydney hard to read and with two picks inside the first round it makes phantom drafting really difficult. Jefferson sliding through got the edge over Lachie Cowan with the first of their two picks and Brayden George nudged Darcy Jones for the second selection.

3. St Kilda's pick 33 on-wards has taken me days (which I've only had thanks to catching COVID while on parental leave) and is the part of the draft I'm least satisfied with.

4. The range of some of these players threw me for a loop. In earlier versions I had Max Gruzewski as a first rounder. He ends up at pick 33. I felt most comfortable about Keeler in the 40's but couldn't find an option that made more sense than him for clubs in the 30's. I still wouldn't be overly surprised if he landed in the first round. Jed Adams was another I liked in the 40's but ended up late second round. Harry Lemmey at 40 feels a bit too early. He doesn't really seem like a Sam Mitchell type, but I wanted a KPF there and he felt like the best option left on the board.

5. I couldn't find a club for Adam D'Aloia in the National Draft. I think this is probably closer to 50/50 than many of us expected. When I started the exercise, I didn't expect to land here, but unfortunately it was harder to find a landing spot for him than I anticipated.

6. No Munkara bid might surprise some too. I'm a bit skeptical that a club will bid. Similar to D'Aloia, I think it's probably closer to 50/50 than we think.
Great read, thanks for your work, I look forward to seeing it plagiarised over coming days 🤣

Love the Barnett to Melbourne pick.

Can't help but think Melbourne will trade future picks, wouldn't mind Sydney's first rounders for future first rounders.

Really rate Charlie Clarke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not ideal for west coast
Doesn't address our midfield needs nearly enough, especially our lack of inside mids
Really hope we dont get busslinger either . he'll be great but not at all what we need
Good read ModernArtillery. Thanks for sharing.

I'd be pretty feeling pretty flat with that return as well however I'm OK with the Busslinger selection as he looks like he could turn into a solid key back.

Agree with mattyc75 in regard to our lack of inside mids. Tsatas selection would need to be backed up with inside mids with the final 2 picks though.

I really hope we don't take Jones as I don't believe he has a position. IMO, physically, he's too small to be a midfielder while not being crafty enough to be a forward.

Prefer Mackenzie > Tsatas, Hotton/Burgiel > Jones, Szybkowski/Hustwaite > Gilbey

Great read, thanks for your work, I look forward to seeing it plagiarised over coming days 🤣

Love the Barnett to Melbourne pick.

Can't help but think Melbourne will trade future picks, wouldn't mind Sydney's first rounders for future first rounders.

Really rate Charlie Clarke
It certainly seems like Melbourne would like to be active one way or another! GWS could be a trade partner with one of their picks in the teens.

Not ideal for west coast
Doesn't address our midfield needs nearly enough, especially our lack of inside mids
Really hope we dont get busslinger either . he'll be great but not at all what we need

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I've not included any pick trading which you'd expect to see on draft night. In this scenario I'd love to see the Eagles move up to get Elijah Hewett. A haul of Tsatas, Busslinger and Hewett would be pretty elite I reckon.

Good read ModernArtillery. Thanks for sharing.

I'd be pretty feeling pretty flat with that return as well however I'm OK with the Busslinger selection as he looks like he could turn into a solid key back.

Agree with mattyc75 in regard to our lack of inside mids. Tsatas selection would need to be backed up with inside mids with the final 2 picks though.

I really hope we don't take Jones as I don't believe he has a position. IMO, physically, he's too small to be a midfielder while not being crafty enough to be a forward.

Prefer Mackenzie > Tsatas, Hotton/Burgiel > Jones, Szybkowski/Hustwaite > Gilbey
I share the same feelings on Jones. I'd certainly prefer Hotton and Burgiel and they probably round out the haul a bit better too. It'll be interesting to see how much that first selection influences the rest of the picks on the night!

MA thanks for the massive effort. :thumbsu:

I have to say that from a West Coast perspective that haul would disappoint me.
As matyc75 has said that doesn't address our most pressing need, reinforcements for our inside mids.
Tsatas would be a decent pick in isolation, but not having him paired with a genuine midfielder either balanced or inside, is a worry.
Busslinger while a good footballer I am not convinced that he will be more than a tall attacking HBF at the next level, all be it a quality one.
Jones ..... not sure where the feather weight plays at the next level.... he is IMO a very speculative pick, he could make it or he could be a total bust.
Gilbey is very injury prone and is limited positionally to HBF and Lord knows we have a surplus of those.

The Jones selection I could live with, however only if the next pick ( the Gilbey pick ) had been a midfielder.... Hustwaite or even your much latter picks in Szybkoski or Dowling would have a least filled a need.

The only consolation is that with a haul like that, is we will continue to be shit for another few years and get the opportunity for more earlier picks and places us right in the Harley Reid stakes for 2023.

Very busy period for me but I'll try to get at least one more update of my rankings out before the draft. I've had to do my due diligence on Jack O'Sullivan and Max Gruzewski, who are both risers as a result.

I've always believed in Phillipou's talent, but aside from the aerial capability, I've always had a little bit of concern about his speed around stoppage. His testing put to bed any concerns about his speed and with further development I'm sure he'll be able to utilise it more effectively to exit the contest. I'm still a strong believer in Elijah Hewett as a borderline top 5 talent and would happily use an early selection on him. It seems as if he's likely to feature in the second half of the first round (and beyond) which I think represents extremely good value. I think Cadman's rise to a top selection is partially to do with his form (which has obviously been strong) and partly to do with the lack of top-end key position talent. I prefer some of the top end midfielders in isolation, but list structure and composition would obviously play a role if I was coming from a club perspective.

1. Harry Sheezel
2. George Wardlaw
3. Will Ashcroft
4. Mattaes Phillipou
5. Elijah Tsatas
6. Elijah Hewett
7. Jhye Clark
8. Bailey Humphrey
9. Aaron Cadman
10. Mitch Szybkowski

There's not a lot of separation between Mackenzie and Szybkowski, with the two pretty interchangeable for me. I feel like Szybkowski has a bit more speed from stoppage and can be more damaging with his kicking, however I'm relying primarily on tape so defer to others on that one. I think Busslinger and Hayes are 100+ game key defenders at AFL level and would gladly take them in the first round. Hotton is the big riser for me. I value his stoppage-craft and ability to impact the scoreboard when going forward. I have Michalanney really high and Jacob Weddle really low. You could mount a genuine case that they're the wrong way around and I wouldn't argue against it. I just really believe in Michalanney's ability to impact the game defensively, against a variety of opposition, and I think the offensive tools are there to be damaging the other way. Stylistically, I'm thinking Dylan Grimes. I just need Max to grab himself a couple of extra cm's height-wise.

11. Cam Mackenzie
12. Jedd Busslinger
13. Lewis Hayes
14. Harry Barnett
15. Olli Hotton
16. Harry Lemmey
17. Alwyn DaveyJr
18. Oliver Hollands
19. Max Michalanney
20. Jaspa Fletcher

Gruzewski and O'Sullivan the big risers here. I've liked O'Sullivan for a while, but had to go back to some vision to remember why I was so high on him. I also got a couple of Gruzewski's early NAB League games too and was really impressed with what I saw from him down back. I think that's the position I see him having the greatest success in at AFL level. After pulling together the Dowling profile, I felt like I'd really underrated his versatility and how well his game translates to AFL footy. I like him on the wing at the next level.

21. Max Gruzewski
22. Jonti Schuback
23. Matthew Jefferson
24. Isaac Keeler
25. Charlie Clarke
26. Jack O'Sullivan
27. Jacob Konstanty
28. Billy Dowling
29. Jakob Ryan
30. Lachie Cowan

I continue to be the biggest Archie Lovelock fan. He's one that I think could just find a way at the next level. I love Burgiel's versatility, but wonder what the game looks like for him at the next level. D'Aloia would've been an incredible prospect in an earlier era, but wonder how the running and athletic limitations impact him at the next level. I like what Will Verrall has to offer as a ruck prospect and am intrigued by Phoenix Foster's size and skill-set.

31. Harry Cole
32. Brayden George
33. Reuben Ginbey
34. Josh Weddle
35. Coby Burgiel
36. Archie Lovelock
37. Sam Gilbey
38. Adam D'Aloia
39. Will Verrall
40. Phoenix Foster
You don’t seem to rate Ed Allan at all? Why is that?

MA thanks for the massive effort. :thumbsu:

I have to say that from a West Coast perspective that haul would disappoint me.
As matyc75 has said that doesn't address our most pressing need, reinforcements for our inside mids.
Tsatas would be a decent pick in isolation, but not having him paired with a genuine midfielder either balanced or inside, is a worry.
Busslinger while a good footballer I am not convinced that he will be more than a tall attacking HBF at the next level, all be it a quality one.
Jones ..... not sure where the feather weight plays at the next level.... he is IMO a very speculative pick, he could make it or he could be a total bust.
Gilbey is very injury prone and is limited positionally to HBF and Lord knows we have a surplus of those.

The Jones selection I could live with, however only if the next pick ( the Gilbey pick ) had been a midfielder.... Hustwaite or even your much latter picks in Szybkoski or Dowling would have a least filled a need.

The only consolation is that with a haul like that, is we will continue to be s**t for another few years and get the opportunity for more earlier picks and places us right in the Harley Reid stakes for 2023.
With all due respect WCE are starting from scratch. You just need good players. There's no such thing as 'our most pressing need'. You say you need inside mids but you also have no rucks, forwards, backs or proven quality outside mids. Bailey Williams, Jameison doesn't cut it long term. Forwards, you have none after Oscar Allen and Waterman as Darling is almost done. And that's only if you play Allen forward.

Small Forwards, you've just lost Rioli, so you've got Luke Ryan and guys like Cripps, J.Jones, Petruccelle, Zac Langdon etc. You could do with more quality, perhaps a marking type. It's not a pressing need but a need nonetheless. Petrevski-Seton doesn't have it.

In terms of Tall backs you have Bazzo and Barrass. You could easily get a 3rd with Hurn and Mcgovern on the out in terms of age. Bazzo is still unproven until he proves himself despite good early signs.

Medium defenders could also be addressed as guys like Jayden Hunt, Luke Foley don't exactly excite. Witherden can accumulate but is always first to be cut after a bad few games.

Then you look at the midfield. Yes inside mids need addressing to replace guys like Shuey (although he is damaging on the outside too), Redden etc. but you also need to replace outside guys like Gaff who I've personally never rated. You've got Chesser coming through who does that if he is up to the grade. Hough showed good signs but someone has to find the ball so it's hard to judge. Duggan is perhaps the most recognisable name but I think his ceiling as a player is probably Karl Amon. Not future AA quality.

And I'm a dees fan so I know what a rebuild looks like. You've got to take best player available at every single pick, regardless of position.

With all due respect WCE are starting from scratch. You just need good players. There's no such thing as 'our most pressing need'. You say you need inside mids but you also have no rucks, forwards, backs or proven quality outside mids. Bailey Williams, Jameison doesn't cut it long term. Forwards, you have none after Oscar Allen and Waterman as Darling is almost done. And that's only if you play Allen forward.

Small Forwards, you've just lost Rioli, so you've got Luke Ryan and guys like Cripps, J.Jones, Petruccelle, Zac Langdon etc. You could do with more quality, perhaps a marking type. It's not a pressing need but a need nonetheless. Petrevski-Seton doesn't have it.

In terms of Tall backs you have Bazzo and Barrass. You could easily get a 3rd with Hurn and Mcgovern on the out in terms of age. Bazzo is still unproven until he proves himself despite good early signs.

Medium defenders could also be addressed as guys like Jayden Hunt, Luke Foley don't exactly excite. Witherden can accumulate but is always first to be cut after a bad few games.

Then you look at the midfield. Yes inside mids need addressing to replace guys like Shuey (although he is damaging on the outside too), Redden etc. but you also need to replace outside guys like Gaff who I've personally never rated. You've got Chesser coming through who does that if he is up to the grade. Hough showed good signs but someone has to find the ball so it's hard to judge. Duggan is perhaps the most recognisable name but I think his ceiling as a player is probably Karl Amon. Not future AA quality.

And I'm a dees fan so I know what a rebuild looks like. You've got to take best player available at every single pick, regardless of position.

Thats all fair enough but darcy jones may not address any of those needs , he's more a midfielder than a forward, a tiny one at that who i think could slide

In this scenario we didnt take a ruck, and we have Edwards also as a tall backman who while looking less likely this year still had some good

I also think Gilbey could slide due to injury and if we want him we may trade back into the 3rd or 4th round

So i can definitely see the eagles taking an inside mid at some stage
We also have dewar , a small forward who hopefully will make it through to the cat B list and baker and outside mid also hopefully on the Cat B list
The last few years the eagles gave really struggled to get the ball from stoppages, thats where we need to start

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Round 1
1. GWS - Aaron Cadman
7. Hawthorn - Jhye Clark
8. Geelong – Ed Allan
20. GWS – Charlie Clarke

Round 2
21. GWS – Elijah Hewett
36. St Kilda – Noah Long

Round 3

Remaining picks
52. Adelaide – Hugh Bond

I think Adelaide will likely throw a spanner in your works at some point. Surely they haven't opened up 2 list spots without their eye on a player or two as well as Michalanney.

Very strong word we've already put a deal at Essendon for their 1st rounder (Phillipou) which has been knocked back.

Word is we have interest in 2 other players, I suspect Harry Barnett is one of those and possibly Jakob Ryan.
I have a strong feeling that at least one of the 2 2023 2nd rounders we hold will be used to trade into this draft especially if Barnett is still on the table at the point a deal can be had.

I am well aware of our list status, but thanks for pointing the fact that we have needs everywhere.

The fact that we took a key forward last year seems to have escaped you, yes the jury is still out on him as he has only played one season of WAFL league, but most are happy with Jack Williams progress. He grew last year from 195 to 198 so additional patience is needed as history has shown that the young kids who are still growing are no where near showing their best until the growth spurts stop.

Just between you and I don't expect Langdon be a contributor to the score board this year for us..... hard to do so when you have already been delisted.

Tall defenders, sure Bazzo is still developing and no where near being penciled in as a permanent fixture.
Harry Edwards is one that you have overlooked, I am not expecting him to be a star but he has shown some encouraging signs.

As far as medium defenders go, I stress less about them as they are the easiest playing type to replace in either, the trade period and at the draft.
Further more unless they produce something significantly better next season, neither Foley or Witherden will be on our list. Both are list cloggers, but escape the cull this year, as you can only turn so many players over each year to keep some sort of semblance of balance.

You are correct in one thing when you state that " someone has to find the ball", I am glad that we agree on this point as I did point out that its our most pressing need.

Not sure why you would mention Duggan in our midfield mix as he is a serviceable HBF no more, no less.

I venture to say that I have watched a lot more WAFL Colts football than you and if you think that Jones and Gilbey are best available with picks 20 and 26 in this years cohort, then let's say that I don't agree with that assessment.

As I'm a Eagles fan so I know what a rebuild looks like, having witness us doing so post 94 and 06, to build our next team, firstly capable of contending and then eventually winning the ultimate prize as we did in 2006, then again in 2018.
Been a very long time since West Coast drafted an inside mid of quality, it's a bone of contention that irks most of our supporters.

Of course I would think that you would aware of the fact that you need, as a high priority players that can win the inside ball at stoppages and at the coal face, you get the benefit of watching, what could only be described as poetry in motion, with the likes of Oliver and Petracca winning the contested ball to start movements of controlled possessions for their team. I note both these prolific ball winners were taken with early draft picks.

No denying that West Coast have a steep mountain to climb to get back into the middle of the ladder, let alone to become a contender and the longer we fail to pick up players that can win the contested ball and set up a chain of possession in motion, the longer our stint as cellar dwellers will continue.

That said everyone sees it differently, so let's agree to disagree.

Last edited:
I am well aware of our list status, but thanks for pointing the fact that we have needs everywhere.

The fact that we took a key forward last year seems to have escaped you, yes the jury is still out on him as he has only played one season of WAFL league, but most are happy with Jack Williams progress. He grew last year from 195 to 198 so additional patience is needed as history has shown that the young kids who are still growing are no where near showing their best until the growth spurts stop.

Just between you and I don't expect Langdon be a contributor to the score board this year for us..... hard to do so when you have already been delisted.

Tall defenders, sure Bazzo is still developing and no where near being penciled in as a permanent fixture.
Harry Edwards is one that you have overlooked, I am not expecting him to be a star but he has shown some encouraging signs.

As far as medium defenders go, I stress less about them as they are the easiest playing type to replace in either, the trade period and at the draft.
Further more unless they produce something significantly better next season, neither Foley or Witherden will be on our list. Both are list cloggers, but escape the cull this year, as you can only turn so many players over each year to keep some sort of semblance of balance.

You are correct in one thing when you state that " someone has to find the ball", I am glad that we agree on this point as I did point out that its our most pressing need.

Not sure why you would mention Duggan in our midfield mix as he is a serviceable HBF no more, no less.

I venture to say that I have watched a lot more WAFL Colts football than you and if you think that Jones and Gilbey are best available with picks 20 and 26 in this years cohort, then let's say that I don't agree with that assessment.

As I'm a Eagles fan so I know what a rebuild looks like, having witness us doing so post 94 and 06, to build our next team, firstly capable of contending and then eventually winning the ultimate prize as we did in 2006, then again in 2018.
Been a very long time since West Coast drafted an inside mid of quality, it's a bone of contention that irks most of our supporters.

Of course I would think that you would aware of the fact that you need, as a high priority players that can win the inside ball at stoppages and at the coal face, you get the benefit of watching, what could only be described as poetry in motion, with the likes of Oliver and Petracca winning the contested ball to start movements of controlled possessions for their team. I note both these prolific ball winners were taken with early draft picks.

No denying that West Coast have a steep mountain to climb to get back into the middle of the ladder, let alone to become a contender and the longer we fail to pick up players that can win the contested ball and set up a chain of possession in motion, the longer our stint as cellar dwellers will continue.

That said everyone sees it differently, so let's agree to disagree.
Appreciate the reply. I wasn't having a go but it's just perplexed me ever since WCE fans said 'we don't need Luke Jackson'. When in fact, he is exactly what you needed.

Apologies for forgetting about Zac Langdon, I'm sure you can understand that WCE were hardly at the top of my list of teams to track in the off-season.

I didn't forget about Jack Williams, but a guy taken at pick 52 is speculative at best. Melbourne had Van Rooyen who also showed promising signs but I don't really include him in our list plans until he shows that he is afl calibre.

Yeah, Melbourne had Oliver and Petracca with high picks but I wouldn't have wanted to pick up Michael Apeness over Christian Salem just because we wanted a key forward in the 2013 draft for example. Similarly. Saints took McCartin over Petracca because they needed a key forward. So I think its dangerous territory to even think about needs, at all. maybe with your pick in the 40's and 50's but not first rounders.

Yeah I've only seen Darcy on vision. Maybe 3 games worth. Looks good to me. He has what no-one in the draft has and that's valuable. I can't see how he'd be any worse than Switkowski who is a fantastic little player and if that's Jones' floor then I think it's well worth a pick around 20.

Thanks for this, really well considered and informative list.

From a WCE point of view, I'd be happier if we picked Hewitt at our second pick and then speculated with a pick on Allen.

So Tsatas, Hewitt, Allen and Jones/Gilbey.

Busslinger would be surplus to needs as, even though Gov will retire in a few seasons, we already have Barrass, H Edwards, Bazzo for those spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back