Senior Lachie Neale (2018-) (Co-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Lachie Neale Equals Record

The Brisbane Lions posting their first win at the SCG since 2009 wasn't the only feat of the night, with Lachie Neale equalling his own club record of 26 contested possessions.

It is a record originally set by Mitch Robinson in 2016 when he topped Simon Black’s previous mark of 25 set in the 2003 grand final, before Neale equalled it in 2019.

Neale now has eight of the 14 games of 22 or more contested possessions in club history. Tom Rockliff has two and Black, Robinson, Jarryd Lyons and Dayne Zorko one.

It nothing new for the 2019 Brownlow Medallist to figure prominently in this statistic – he led the League in contested possessions in 2019 and 2020.

Is '22 Neale Better Than 2020?

Lachie-Neale.png

When Brisbane needed an answer to Buddy Franklin's third-quarter rampage, one man put the Lions on his shoulders – Lachie Neale.

Whether it was winning centre clearances, gathering ground balls in his defensive 50, or using soft hands in congestion to set up a goal for Dan McStay, Neale did it all to arrest his team's slide.

Although his 2020 Brownlow Medal-winning year was incredible, there's an argument to say the 28-year-old is going even better this season with his power running, clean hands and damage in the front half.

To date, Neale is averaging 32 disposals, 17.1 handballs and 7.7 clearances, all of which are considered elite according to Champion Data and career highs for the superstar midfielder.

Speaking on Neale's performance, Damian Barrett commended the 28-year-olds ability to accumulate possession while still remaining damaging.

"Sydney came hard in the second half and Brisbane were able to respond like all good sides do," he said.

"Neale is a significantly better play than he was in the year that he won a Brownlow medal.

"He's tougher and his disposals mean more. Every touch counts and he's working through tags."

Neale finished the game with 37 disposals, 9 tackles, 9 score involvements and a goal.

Coaches' votes, R9: Perfect Lion makes charge as Cripps' lead cut

Brisbane star Lachie Neale closed the gap on Patrick Cripps atop the AFLCA Champion Player of the Year award, polling a perfect 10 votes against Adelaide.

Neale starred with maximum votes in the Lions' 36-point win over Adelaide on Saturday night.

‘Better than I was’: Neale reveals crucial body transformation that’s elevated him past record season

Brisbane Lions superstar Lachie Neale has declared he thinks he’s in career-best form right now, opening up on his weight loss transformation in the off-season that’s helped him to reach such heights.

After a down 2021 season cruelled by injuries, the 29-year old has bounced back in a big way, averaging career-highs across the board in disposals (31.4), tackles (4.9) and inside 50s (five) while ranking first in the competition in contested possessions and third in clearances.

What’s really elevated Neale’s game in 2022 is his impact forward of centre where the gun-onballer has become one of the most damaging players in the competition.

It comes after Neale in the 2020 shortened campaign won the Brownlow Medal with 31 votes from only 17 games to set a new record of record 1.82 votes per contest, while that year’s 26.9 disposal average in shorter quarters is technically more impressive than this season’s effort.

But speaking on 3AW’s Sportsday, Neale believes he’s gone to another level in 2022.

“I feel like this year I’ve taken steps forward in my game, and everyone knows and I know that last year I was really average — I didn’t play well at all,” he said.

“From 2020 though, yeah I feel like I’m a better player than I was then.

“I’ve got a long season ahead of me, but happy with my start compared to last year especially.”

Neale opened up on his body transformation in the off-season where the star midfielder trimmed down to allow him to cover the ground better.

He revealed that he’s gone from weighing in at around 85-86 kg last year to 81-82 currently.

“I shed a few kilos over the off-season and during pre-season it was something that I spoke to our fitness staff about. I went to them and said, ‘I feel like I need to play a bit lighter,’” he said.

“My skin folds and all that are pretty similar, but I just had to lose a bit of muscle … it’s paying dividends at the moment, I feel like my physical strength hasn’t dropped away, but I’m able to cover the ground a bit better.

“I probably did more weights but it was a different set of weights basically. I did more running and that was basically the key to my off-season.

“I ate well, trained well, obviously had the little bub as well, so wasn’t able to go out and have as many beers in the off-season as well.”

Neale’s surge in form has played a leading role in the Lions’ hot start to the season, sitting second on the ladder at 8-2.

Indeed, the ex-Docker’s damage in the front half in 2022 has been a highlight as he’s developed his game over the years from being an accumulator.

Neale explained that maximising every possession has been a key focus of his.

“I think the game has really shifted away from that pure numbers, which is probably what it was a few years ago. It’s more impact and damage on games, you see what guys like Patty Cripps, Clayton Oliver and Christian Petracca are able to do with the footy,” he said.

“There’s clearances and then there’s really good clearances, and everyone can tell the difference.

“For me it’s trying to get the ball going forward, trying to set up my teammates. Attacking the defence, going at them rather than going backwards, that’s been a shift.

“Also trying to hit the scoreboard a little bit more, but also set up my teammates, try and get the ball in that front half. My coaches have really backed me in with my creativeness, by foot and by hand.”

Regularly tagged by the opposition in a bid to slow him and the Lions’ midfield down, Neale added that he now embraces the extra attention.

“I don’t hate it, I sort of take it as a compliment, to be honest. In the past it’s frustrated me and I haven’t been able to break it as often,” he said.

“But I feel like this year after Round 2 I’ve probably been followed, tagged, whatever you want to call it — cooled down — every game except maybe the Adelaide game, and I’ve been still able to have impact.

“It might not be going out there and having 40 touches, it’s setting up my teammates and getting an extra inside the stoppage by releasing wingers, by creating one-v-twos in stoppages and impacting that way as well.

“But at the same time trying to take the guy on a little bit and back myself in and my game. They’re tagging me for a reason, so I feel like I’ve certainly taken positive steps this year in that regard.”

Coaches' votes, R11: Gun Lion moves closer to top, Don perfect in defeat

LACHIE Neale closed the gap to Clayton Oliver atop the AFL Coaches' Association champion player of the year award as a Bomber landed a perfect 10 in defeat.

Neale finished with 39 disposals, nine clearances and two goals in Brisbane's 14-point win over Greater Western Sydney on Saturday, earning nine votes.

The star midfielder is within five votes of Oliver, who picked up two in Melbourne's first loss of the season to Fremantle.

Lachie's return adds extra dimension to top-four showdown

SUNDAY will be the first time Lachie Neale has faced Fremantle since his highly publicised exploration of moving back west last September.

Depending on the version of events you believe, Neale either took a cursory glance near the end of the season, or he and the Dockers were in cahoots for months trying to orchestrate a move.

After 48 hours of intense speculation following the story breaking, the 2020 Brownlow medallist re-affirmed his commitment to the Lions for the final two years of his contract.

Nine months later, Brisbane and Fremantle meet in a showdown that will help shape the top-four.

Neale’s reasons for entertaining the idea are now well documented.

He and wife Jules became parents for the first time, to Piper, just weeks after the drama, with the pair initially considering the move to be closer to family following 18 months of COVID-19 restrictions.

It was undoubtedly the biggest story of last year’s finals series until Melbourne broke its 57-year drought with a premiership.

"I'll never apologise for doing what's best for my family and that's all I was trying to do, and in the end what's best for us is to be here (Brisbane)," Neale said on the eve of the season.

"Probably when the story came out it rushed my decision.

"I feel like I would have gone through the process and came up with the same result. We just did it in two days instead of maybe two weeks."

The footy world was alerted to Neale’s consideration the day after Brisbane was bundled out of last year’s finals series in a heartbreaking one-point loss to the Western Bulldogs.

He cut celebrations short with his teammates and met Lions powerbrokers over the next two days to settle any concerns.

The fallout was a sliding doors moment for both Brisbane and Fremantle, whose top-four match-up should have Optus Stadium at fever pitch.

For a fleeting moment, there was the prospect Fremantle’s midfield in 2022 could contain Neale, Nat Fyfe, Adam Cerra and Andrew Brayshaw.

Neale stayed in Brisbane, Cerra moved to Carlton, Fyfe got injured and the Dockers moved on spectacularly, riding the exploits of Brayshaw, Caleb Serong, David Mundy and former Sun Will Brodie to an 8-3 record.

Brayshaw lived with Neale in his debut 2018 season, before Neale headed to Brisbane.

The two are still firm friends today.

Once Neale made his mind up to stay with the Lions, he went about putting together the best pre-season of his life.

He returned to the Lions’ Yeronga training ground in early December is supreme condition, battling with Hugh McCluggage and trailing only former national steeplechase champion Harry Sharp in any running reps.

When the footballs were out, his hands were as clean as ever.

It has translated into form that is every bit as good as – and it could be argued better – than his incredible campaign two years ago.

Neale missed last year’s match against Fremantle in Perth with illness and has played the Dockers just once at the venue – a 2019 contest decided by a thumping Michael Walters set-shot after the siren that rattled the woodwork and gave the home team a one-point triumph.

Whether it’s irony, coincidence or just a good football battle, Neale and Brayshaw going head-to-head on Sunday, less than a year after the former contemplated re-joining his old club, should be well worth watching.

Year to Date: What the Stats Say

Lachie Neale: 2020 vs 2022

To many, the comparison between Lachie Neale’s Brownlow Medal winning year in 2020 to this season seem premature, but the stats speak for themselves.

Breaking down the numbers from Neale’s season so far is nearly impossible. However, the list below highlights the categories in which Champion Data have listed the 29-year-old as ‘elite’:

Contested Possessions (1st in AFL)
Ground Ball Gets (1st in AFL)
Total Clearances (1st in AFL)
Average Disposals (3rd in AFL)
Stoppage Clearances (3rd in AFL)
Centre Clearances (3rd in AFL)
Score Involvements (5th in AFL)

If that wasn’t enough, there are eight other categories not listed that the Lion is considered elite in.

While comparing his 2020 form to this season is difficult because of restricted quarter lengths in his Brownlow year, there are some signs already that the midfielder has taken his game to another level.

According to the numbers, Neale is a more damaging player than ever before.

The 29-year-old is reaching career-high averages in contested possessions (16.5), score involvements (6.9) and inside 50s (4.6).

He's also on track to kick more goals in a season than ever before, needing just seven goals from nine games to reach a career-best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neale urges Lions to lift in two key areas in battle against Dogs

BROWNLOW medallist Lachie Neale wants Brisbane's midfield to be more ferocious and improve its workrate against the Western Bulldogs on Thursday night.

In dismantling the Lions by 64 points last week, Melbourne won the clearance count by 11 and contested possessions by 38 to bankroll victory.

Two matches earlier, Fremantle won clearances by 11 and dominated the midfield battle to set up victory in the match-defining third quarter.

While Brisbane coach Chris Fagan described last week's loss as "out of character", Neale put the onus on the engine room to lift.

"We played shocking last week and Melbourne were really good," Neale said following a light training run on Wednesday.

"I think we got taught a lesson in the hunt, getting after the footy and getting numbers to it and the attack on the ball, they were far superior to us.

"And their workrate from those contests as well, they were able to outnumber us.

"I'd expect a lot more workrate and a lot more ferocity at the ball. Two pretty simple things."

"They taught us a lesson on contested ball and probably premiership standards to be honest. It was probably a good reminder for us," Neale said.

"Words are pretty cheap now, we've got to get it into action, hopefully you'll see a better response rather than hearing me and Fages talk about it."

Lach-ed in: Star Lion inks contract extension

LACHIE Neale will be at Brisbane until late in his career after extending his contract by a further three years.

The new deal, which ties him to the Lions until at least the end of 2026, puts to bed any speculation of a move back to Fremantle that surfaced late last season.

Neale came to Brisbane on a five-year contract at the end of 2018 in a bombshell trade with the Dockers and has flourished since.

He still had more than 12 months on his initial contract before extending.

The 29-year-old has won a Brownlow Medal in 2020, two club best and fairests and two Therabody AFL All-Australian jackets since heading east almost four years ago.

He is in the midst of another terrific campaign, averaging 31 disposals a game and currently placed second in the AFL Coaches Association Champion Player of the Year Award behind Melbourne's Clayton Oliver.

Neale was the centre of a media storm last September when it was reported he flirted with the idea of returning west.

The prolific midfielder said during pre-season he was comfortable with the Lions.

"I'll never apologise for doing what's best for my family and that's all I was trying to do, and in the end what's best for us is to be here (Brisbane)," Neale said on the eve of the season.

"Probably when the story came out it rushed my decision.

"I feel like I would have gone through the process and came up with the same result. We just did it in two days instead of maybe two weeks."

'He's gone up a level': Gun Lion getting even better

THE MAN that sees Lachie Neale as close as anyone believes the 2020 Brownlow medallist is now a better player than when he won the game's highest individual honour.

Oscar McInerney, who has rucked to Neale the past five seasons, says Brisbane's dynamic onballer is a role model for everyone at the Lions.

Following his 32 disposals, nine clearance, one goal masterclass against Carlton on Sunday, Neale has moved alongside Touk Miller atop the AFL Coaches Association's MVP award and is also favoured to win his second Brownlow Medal.

Following a light training session at the Gabba on Tuesday, McInerney said his rover was better now than two years ago.

"His will to improve, he's the last guy out on the track, he's always working on his touch, (doing) weights, he's getting stronger, he's fitter, he's an incredible athlete, he's got an incredible mindset," McInerney said.

"He's gone up a level.

"We couldn't be prouder of that. He's a phenomenal player."

Neale is averaging 31 disposals for the season and is among the top three in the competition for contested possessions and clearances.

"He's just so clean, he just doesn't fumble and that goes to the work he does behind the scenes," McInerney said.

"He's a great role model for our young players coming through, we've got so many exciting mids on our list, to see the best one in the business and how he goes about it and prepares … is a great opportunity for us all to learn."

B&F fancies: Who's leading the race for your club's top award?

There's an argument Neale's season is every bit as good as his 2020 Brownlow Medal-winning campaign – and could in fact see him claim a second 'Charlie'. After an injury-interrupted 2021, the prolific midfielder jumped from the blocks this season and hasn't slowed down, averaging 31 disposals and kicking 11 goals to date. It's not just the numbers, although he's second in the AFL for contested possessions and third for clearances, it's the impact he has with them around the stoppages and forward of centre. A third Merrett-Murray Medal beckons. - Michael Whiting

Neale Collects Third All-Australian Blazer

220349_All_Australian_Graphic_Winner_Article_header.jpg

Brisbane Lions star Lachie Neale is now a three-time All Australian after being selected in the 22-man team at the AFL Awards on Wednesday night.

Neale, who also received a blazer in 2019 and 2020, was a standout through the midfield for the Lions this season - averaging 30.1 disposals, 7.3 clearances and 4.5 tackles per game.

Some have claimed Neale’s form has been as good if not better than his Brownlow year in 2020.

Yet while unsure himself if that’s the case, the 29-year-old could still claim future All-Australian honours, with Neale believing his individual game can still get better.

“It’s a great honour to be selected, there are some amazing players around the comp, so it’s a real privilege to be named alongside them,”

“Preparation throughout the weeks and also my pre-season, being bake to complete every session has set me up.

“Hard to compare (this year to 2020) but I feel I have been more consistent this year.

“Still need to work on a couple of areas over the off-season and pre-season and I think I can improve again.”

One man who has been lucky enough to have a front-row seat to watch Neale’s performances since he arrived at The Gabba in 2018, is Lions coach Chris Fagan.

He was full of praise for Neale as he watched one of his team’s leaders announced All-Australian.

“He played at a consistently high level in 2020 to win the Brownlow Medal and his form this season has been of similar standard if not better,” Fagan said.

“His clearance work, hard running and defensive efforts have been a feature of his play.

“Lachie has an outstanding work ethic and desire to continue to improve his game.

“He trains with intense purpose and competes on game day as well as anyone I’ve seen. His ability to read the play and gather the ball cleanly is exceptional.”

The Brisbane Lions also had fellow talented midfielder Hugh McCluggage and electrifying forward Charlie Cameron named in the initial 44-man squad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back