Senior Lachie Neale (2018-) (Co-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

All good, although I did start the thread after zoblitz posted the tweet on the trade compendium thread...

I didn't see a link to the tweet in your post?

Maybe it just hadn't loaded.

Brisbane have agreed to a deal with Gold Coast that should secure Lachie Neale, without having to involve Dayne Beams and Collingwood.

Under the deal just reached, Gold Coast will trade pick 19 and their future second-round pick in exchange for Brisbane's first-round pick in 2019.

The Lions in turn have more or less agreed with Fremantle to trade picks six and 19 for Neale.

There are other later picks involved in the swap.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ns-to-improve-trade-hand-20181017-p50a6e.html

David Noble speaking
7c595ab2-1af2-464b-8767-a84fd4b9dc55_800.jpg

David Noble speaking to the media after securing Lachie Neale.

Here is what the Brisbane list manager had to say after securing Lachie Neale from Fremantle.

“Great character and brings lots of attributes to the footy club.

“Adds to the depth of our midfield and to the demographic of the playing group.

"He likes the direction of of the coub and its a position where he can improve his football.

He has studied the club and likes Chris Fagan's style of coaching.

Neale sounds like a real thinker, he's going to be a real addition to this side. Is he a future captaincy potential?

Fremantle were stunned when reports emerged last month that Lachie Neale was being courted heavily by the Brisbane Lions.

The Dockers were even more surprised when Neale walked into the office of CEO Steve Rosich and told them of his desire to get to the Lions.

They shouldn’t have been.

Neale signed a three-year contract extension in 2016, agreeing to terms before the round-14 clash with Collingwood.

After a disastrous 0-10 start to the season, the Dockers had begun to turn their season around with three wins in a row, which was followed by the announcement of Neale’s crucial signature.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...lions-landed-star-docker-20181017-p50a8i.html

A SWEETENER that Brisbane acquired from Gold Coast has convinced Fremantle to release contracted midfield star Lachie Neale.

The Lions gave up picks six, 19 and 55 in this year's NAB AFL Draft while receiving Neale and selection No.30.

The Lions and Dockers had been locked in a stalemate for most of the NAB AFL Trade Period unable to bridge the gap between Brisbane's initial offer of pick No.5 for Neale and Fremantle's demand for an additional first-round pick.

However, Brisbane finalised a trade with Gold Coast on Wednesday afternoon that helped it finally find common ground with Fremantle.

In the deal, the Lions traded their future round one selection to Gold Coast for pick No.19, the Suns' future second-round selection and a future third-round selection (on traded from Hawthorn).

Neale had been contracted with the Dockers until the end of 2019.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-17/lachie-a-lion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Landing Neale a coup for Lions
Neale is the only player in the AFL under the age of 30 who has had 3000 possessions in the last five years, including a minimum 500 possessions each year, plus 50 Brownlow Medal votes, 50 games of 30 possessions or more, and five games of 40 possessions or more.

Also, he is one of 21 players in this group of 33 who has kicked 50 goals in the last five years, one of 12 with 60 Brownlow votes and one of 10 with two club best & fairest awards. And, significantly, he is one of 11 who is under 25.

Statistically, Neale has been extraordinary. He’s also averaged 4.02 tackles and 6.25 clearances a game over the past five years. It’s even more special considering he was claimed by Fremantle with selection number 58 in the 2011 Draft. The Neale story is another one of country boy makes good.

Born in Naracoorte, a small town 335km south-east of Adelaide, he spent his early years across the border in the western Victorian town of Apsley. At an early age, he moved back across the border with his family to a farm near Kybybolite. He played basketball, soccer, cricket and football, and was a Kybybolite teammate of Jack Trengove, later Melbourne captain and now at Port Adelaide, and Alex Forster, who was drafted with Pick No. 29 by Fremantle in the same draft as Neale but played only one game.

He attended St Peter’s College in Adelaide and joined SANFL club Glenelg, playing seven senior games before dropping back to the U18s for the finals, where he was best afield in a losing grand final side with 40 possessions. He represented South Australia at the national U18 championships.

In seven years at Fremantle he won their best and fairest in 2016 and 2018, was runner-up in 2017, and sixth in 2015, and is a three-time winner in 2014,15 and 18 of what is now the Glendinning-Allan Medal as best afield in the WA derby against West Coast.

A member of the Fremantle leadership group for the past two years, he was an All Australian squad member in 2015, 16 and 18.

Welcome to the Lions, Lachie Neale! (Josie Fielding)
The Brisbane Lions’ midfield has received a major boost with the acquisition of Lachie Neale on the final day of the AFL Trade Period. The Lions will receive Neale and Pick No. 30 from Fremantle in exchange for Pick No. 6, 19 and 55.

Neale joins the Lions on a five-year deal.

He is regarded as one of the league’s most elite midfielders and comes to the Lions after 135 games, seven seasons and two Doig Medals at the Dockers. In 2018 the 25-year-old played all 22 games for Fremantle and averaged an incredible 30.3 disposals a game, with 15 of those contested.

The speedy ball magnet was third in the AFL this year for total clearances and has been named in the All Australian squad in 2015, 2016, 2018. Since 2016, he has ranked number one in the AFL for contested possessions and clearances during the home and away season.

General Manager of Football David Noble said it was a major coup for the Lions to add such a respected player to their list. “Lachie is a perfect fit for what we are targeting this trade period – an elite midfielder and in the 23-26-year-old age bracket,” Noble said. “Lachie is a quality person and highly respected player who will significantly strengthen our midfield. “We are excited that Lachie and his partner Jules would choose our Club and believe this is a reflection of our continual improvement and growth in the competition. “We expect Lachie to be a positive influence on our culture as we collectively move forward and strive for success.

Neale answers tough questions on Dockers exit (Craig O'Donoghue)
DUAL Doig medallist Lachie Neale insists he has no personal issues with Fremantle or the players despite leaving to join the Brisbane Lions. Neale asked to be traded to Brisbane after being offered a five-year deal to play in Queensland.

Speculation had been rife that Neale had a falling out with coach Ross Lyon and that he had grown frustrated with the lack of professionalism from a group of his teammates. But Neale said his relationships remained strong. “Fremantle is a really professional environment,” Neale said. “The players this year – those younger guys took a step forward and really developed. That will continue and I wish them nothing but success, except when they play the Lions. “I’ve never been frustrated with the club. I have great relationships with all those guys (who have had off-field problems). I caught up with Harley (Bennell) not long ago.

e2d7fbe57df3410bae30762c3a0db63b

“None of that is true. Every club has their ups and downs. I don’t think there’s an issue at Freo. I don’t know where all that came from.”

Neale denied he met with Brisbane during the season but said he became aware of the club’s interest late in the year. Neale said he had texted his former teammates and would work through calling key people in the coming days. “There is no reason why I don’t want to be at Freo, despite what some people have said,” Neale said.

“It was just a really good opportunity for me to head up to Brisbane and be part of a really special group. I met with the key people at the club and they’re really impressive. “At Fremantle, there are a lot of great people there, so it’s really hard to say goodbye. But that’s the decision we’ve made.”

Lachie Neale says he and Ross Lyon are on good terms
Lachie Neale denies he had a rift with Ross Lyon, revealing the Fremantle coach rang him to confirm his AFL trade would go ahead. The midfielder says the move is purely about opportunities at Brisbane and added he had no problems at Fremantle.

The two-time Dockers best and fairest joined the Lions on a five-year deal, with the move confirmed on Wednesday's final day of the trade period. There has been plenty of speculation about why Neale decided to move. "That was probably another thing that was put out there, that I don't have a good relationship with him (Lyon)," Neale said. "But I have a great relationship with Ross - I will miss him and I'm catching up with him in the next couple of days."

Neale also denied he was unimpressed with teammates' training standards or their off-field behaviour. "Fremantle is a really professional environment and the players this year ... those younger guys took a step forward," he said. "That will continue for them and I wish them nothing but success, except when they play the Lions."

Neale added he had caught up with troubled Docker Harley Bennell. "I've never been frustrated with the club and I have great relationships with all those guys (including Bennell)," he said. "None of that is true. Every club has its ups and downs and I don't think there's an issue at Freo."

Neale said he was made aware only late in the season that his management and Brisbane were talking. He said it took about five or six weeks to decide he would try to join the Lions with a year left on his current Fremantle contract. Neale said if the deal had not happened, he would have played for Fremantle next season.

He acknowledged that money was a factor in joining the Lions, but added there were other reasons. "It was probably the toughest decision I've had in my life,' he said. "There's no reason I don't want to be at Freo, despite what some people have said. It was just a really good opportunity for me to head up to Brisbane and be a part of a really special group."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back