Senior Lachie Neale (2018-) (Co-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Five talking points: The Lions are kings of the jungle

Brownlow favourite delivers on the big stage

Brownlow Medal votes aren't on offer in September, but if they were, Lachie Neale would be in them again. The 2020 winner is the favourite to take Charlie home later this month, following a brilliant season. While the Tigers had a more even spread of contribution, Neale was a standout, almost singlehandedly keeping Brisbane in the game. Josh Kennedy's record of 16 clearances in a final (2011 semi-final v Hawthorn) was in his sights by half-time when he had nine on the board. The South Australian finished with 39 disposals and 15 clearances. Neale amassed 46 disposals and 13 clearances in last year’s qualifying final. This was almost as good.

Lions brace for Neale tag from Dees after 'Vossy game'

SpNyamZ2.jpg

BRISBANE needs to use "smart physicality" to help counter Melbourne's expected tag for Lachie Neale on Friday night, says former Lions champion Simon Black.

Neale was "Vossy-like" with his 39-disposal, 15-clearance masterpiece in last Thursday night's elimination final against Richmond, and like many others, Black expects the Demons to pay far more attention to the 2020 Brownlow medallist this week.

James Harmes quietened Neale when going to him for the final three quarters in round 15, and then played a slightly reduced role – alongside Angus Brayshaw – when Melbourne thumped Brisbane in round 23.

The Lions' ball-magnet has been followed plenty this year, including four-quarter tags from Essendon's Jye Caldwell and St Kilda's Marcus Windhager, who both had levels of success against the midfield maestro.

i3G7qJxw.jpg

Black, who dealt with more than his fair share of run-with players during his glittering 322-game career, says Neale and the entire midfield have a responsibility to lift if Brisbane is to spring an upset.

"When you've got a tight checking opponent, you've got to find a way to keep your workrate high and not get overly engaged with your opponent," Black said.

"You've got to be aggressive at the right time, you've got to focus on the ball – it's easy to distract your focus from that to your opposition.

"Stay focused and connected with your teammates and not becoming insular is a really big part of success against a tag, for mine."

Black was in awe of Neale's performance against Richmond, saying it was as good a midfield performance as he'd seen.

"Getting it 39 times, but (it was more) how he used it, really, that was as good a midfield performance as you're going to see," he said.

"That was putting the teammates on his shoulder, a bit like a Vossy game.

"That was a very special game the other night."

However, if Harmes or Brayshaw – or both – is set the task of manning him on Friday night, Black said the quality of the disposals would become more important than the quantity.

Even if Neale got the ball 10 or 15 times less, he could still be damaging by setting up his teammates.

"He had 15 clearances the other night, I wouldn't have thought Melbourne are going to allow that again," Black said.

"He's just got to keep on the move."

This is where the rest of the Lions' midfield needs to help. Black said captain Dayne Zorko, Hugh McCluggage, wingman Jarrod Berry and the rest of the rotation needed to lift their own production, while also keeping half an eye on helping Neale.

"Just some real physicality, some smart physicality," he said.

"Getting a body in between Lachie and his opponent at the right time around stoppage, in general play as well.

"It's discipline. I think it's fair to say there's a bit of dislike between them and the Demons at the moment, and how they handle the occasion in terms of strong, hard, tough footy is important.

"If Lachie doesn't have the impact he's had this year, they need more from Zorks, they need more from Hugh, they need more from Jarrod Berry on the wing, Mitch Robbo. It's going to be that collective effort."

Black said he believed Brisbane could advance to the preliminary final against Geelong, but said it would take a lot more than a big game from Neale to get it over the line.

"The last three or four times they've played Melbourne, their midfield's got on top for contested ball and then the workrate on the outside," he said.

"How they run, how they cover the ground as well as being tough on the inside … there's no greater challenge for the Brisbane midfield.

"They've really been shown how it's done by Melbourne in recent times."

5 Best Finals Performances In Lions History

Lachie Neale – 2022 Elimination Final

E2BrRi22CHP874430511.JPG

It was as close to perfect as you can get as the Lions beat Richmond by two points in this year’s Elimination Final at the Gabba, He had 39 possessions (21 contested), 15 clearances – next best for the Lions was Hugh McCluggage with six – a played 95% game time, including the entire second half without a spell. And all in a game in which the Lions were facing an early exit from the finals. Such was the occasion and the pressure, and so good was the 2020 Brownlow Medallist, that it tips his club finals record 46 possessions in the 2021 qualifying final loss to Melbourne at Adelaide Oval.

Brownlow Medal: Brisbane Lions midfielder Lachie Neale says he wouldn’t be comfortable with second medal

Lachie Neale has admitted he wouldn’t be entirely comfortable with a second Brownlow Medal hanging around his neck.

But to the rest of the AFL world, it would be a fitting result after a career-best campaign from Brisbane’s midfield ball-magnet.

“He’s had a great season,” Geelong coach Chris Scott said before the Cats took down Neale’s Lions in the preliminary final.

“I’d expect he’ll win the Brownlow ... he certainly has to be in that conversation given the year he’s had.”

Neale, who won his first Brownlow Medal in the COVID-affected 2020 season, is a narrow favourite this year ahead of a pack of elite on-ballers, with the so-called “midfielder’s medal” all but certain to live up to its name again.

Melbourne gun Clayton Oliver, Carlton captain Patrick Cripps, emerging Fremantle star Andrew Brayshaw and Gold Coast co-captain Touk Miller are all fancied, and were all named in the All-Australian side.

Brayshaw was named the AFLPA MVP, while Miller and Oliver shared the AFLCA player-of-the-year award.

A tight count is forecast with Demons star Christian Petracca also in the mix, while Geelong key forward Jeremy Cameron is the highest-rated non-midfielder in betting markets but will start at long odds.

If Neale does claim a second Brownlow, he will join former teammate Nat Fyfe and retired greats Gary Ablett Jnr, Adam Goodes and Chris Judd as multiple winners of the game’s most prestigious individual award this century.

“I’d be pretty embarrassed and it wouldn’t sit comfortably on that list but I think there’s a number of guys that can win it this year,” Neale said this month.

“I don’t think it’ll happen. Guys like Oliver, Brayshaw, Cripps - those three will be really high.”

Brisbane coach Chris Fagan wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if the Lions’ main man in the midfield salutes.

One of Neale’s greatest admirers, Fagan declared the diminutive star’s Brownlow-winning campaign in 2020 a “pretty special year”.

But he said Neale had reached new heights after battling injuries last season.

“Probably he has played better (than ever in 2022) because he gets more attention now,” Fagan said.

“He’s got to play at a high level with an opponent sweating on him. His actions inspire.”

Neale admitted his 2021 campaign “didn’t go as planned” but said there was no secret to his return to top form.

“I was always really confident if I got a good pre-season in I could get back to a high level of footy,” Neale said.

“I had absolute confidence in the work I put in. It is cliche but if you put in then it’s going to yield results.

“It’s a funny one. For me I have an inner belief when I’m playing my best footy I’m the best out there and you’ve got to have that at times.

“But in this environment (in front of the media) or at home on the couch and someone says you’re the Brownlow favourite, I think, ‘Far out.’

“It doesn’t seem real to me.”

Neale and a handful of Brisbane teammates will stay in Melbourne to attend Sunday night’s Brownlow Medal count, following their preliminary final defeat to Geelong.

As was the case in 2020, a Neale win on Brownlow night would be some consolation for the Lions after crashing out of the premiership race at the hands of the Cats.

“It would be awesome for him to get some reward for the awesome year that he’s had,” Brisbane defender Harris Andrews said.

“He’s one of the great team players and he’ll be absolutely hurting (from the finals defeat) but I’m sure the boys will get around him if he does win it, regardless.

“It would be pretty awesome to see him become a two-time Brownlow (medallist).”

The Brownlow Medal count, which was brought forward one day because of a clash with the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II, will be held at Melbourne’s Crown Palladium for the first time since 2019.

Neale Creates History With Third Merrett-Murray Medal

Club_Champs_B-F_Winner_2022_Article_Header.jpg

Brisbane Lions midfielder Lachie Neale has taken out the Merrett-Murray Medal to cap off a stellar 2022 season.

Neale was crowned as the Lions Best and Fairest with 66 votes ahead of fellow midfielder Hugh McCluggage (59), with defender Brandon Starcevich (51) finishing third.

The 29-year-old, who won the award in 2019 and 2020, created Club history claiming the honour in front of a large crowd at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre on Friday night.

He joins Dayne Zorko (five), Simon Black, Michael Voss and Jonathon Brown (three) as the only Lions to win the Merrett-Murray Medal three times or more.

Neale started the night as the red-hot favourite, with the likelihood of him winning reinforced after finishing runner-up in the Brownlow Medal just a fortnight ago.

The standout individual season saw Neale average 30.1 disposals, 7.3 clearances and 4.5 tackles per game in 2022.

As a result, the All-Australian midfielder finished second in the league for disposals with 749 and second in clearances with an impressive 191.

His biggest game statistically was in Brisbane’s win against Essendon in Round Two, where he dominated with 41 disposals, six marks and two goals.

Many rated the midfielder’s season as his best yet, or at least on par with his 2020 season, which saw him become a Brownlow Medallist.

Neale Joins The 0.25% Club

Lachie Neale has joined the AFL’s “0.25% Club”, becoming just the 32nd player in history to win five club championship awards.

Neale’s third win in the Merrett/Murray Medal last Friday night, which came on top of two equivalent awards at Fremantle, enhances the Lions’ standing as the Kings of the 0.25% Club.

No less than eight Lions – or 25% of the 0.25% Club – are in what is an ultra-exclusive club.

Legendary Fitzroy Brownlow Medallist Kevin Murray, who shares with South Melbourne triple Brownlow Medallist Bob Skilton the distinction of having won a record nine club best & fairest awards, is the joint #1 ticket-holder.

Six other Lions have won five premierships - former Brisbane captain Michael Voss, current Brisbane captain Dayne Zorko and ex-Fitzroy stars Garry Wilson, Paul Roos, Alan Ruthven and John Murphy.

Neale, one of only four players to have won multiple B&F awards at multiple clubs, completes the Lions’ playing representation in the 0.25% Club.

All The Winners 2022 Club Champion

10:00pm - Lachie Neale the recipient of the Finals Player of the year award

Lachie Neale has been rewarded for his dominant September form and is the deserving winner of the 2022 Finals Player Award.

The award recognises the Lions player who has polled the most votes across the three finals with the same criteria as the Merrett-Murray medal voting system.

Neale averaged 28.6 disposals through the Finals, highlighted by his phenomenal performance in Brisbane’s heart stopping win over Richmond.

The 29-year-old collected 39 touches, a career-high 15 clearances at 95% game time as he put his side on his back in an inspirational performance.

Finishing second in the Brownlow medal race and collecting another All-Australian blazer, Neale is the hot favourite to collect this year’s Merrett-Murray Medal.

9:50pm - Lachie Neale wins the inaugural youi Gamechanger Awards, voted by the fans each week.

Stars Shine in Brisbane's Midfield

Lachie Neale’s career-year inspired the Lions engine room in big moments, Hugh McCluggage asserted himself alongside the A-grade midfielders of the competition while Jarrod Berry showed his versatility in being able to lock down some the game’s best.

At the start of pre-season, Lachie Neale spoke to media about his work in getting his body right after an injury interrupted 2021 campaign, even going as far to say as he was in the best shape of his career.

While it seemed ambitious in the early stages of the pre-season, Neale wasn’t wrong. Averaging 30 disposals and ranking first in the competition for total centre clearances, the 29-year-old put the team on his back in the season’s biggest moments.

Star Lion Lachie Neale puts hand up for captaincy

Star Brisbane midfielder Lachie Neale has stated he is "excited" by the prospect of being named club captain for the 2023 season, claiming that the Lions' current list is the best he has seen up close.

The captaincy post at the Gabba became vacant for the first time in five years after former skipper Dayne Zorko stepped down from the role earlier this month.

While the ultimate prize evaded Zorko during his leadership tenure, the outspoken midfielder steered Brisbane from the brink and back to the September action.

Speaking to 7News' Mitch Cleary, Neale said taking over from his midfield mate would be an honor.

"If the club and the players feel I'm the right person to do that, then I'd be really humbled and excited to do that role," the Brownlow medallist said.

While lock to return to the leadership in 2023, Neale suggested the expectations of the job had helped him blossom further as a player, even if 2022 vice-captain Harris Andrews remains the favourite for the armband.

"The last two or three years, I've been able to come outside myself and really try and drive and improve others around me, especially young midfielders," Neale explained.

With star import Josh Dunkley and blue-chip draftee Will Ashcroft joining Neale in the Lions' engine room, the 29-year-old professed that Brisbane's roster was the best he had seen in his 12 years at league level.

"Talent-wise, it's the best list I would have played with, but we know that doesn't get it done," Neale said.

But while the stars running it back appear primed for premiership success, the addition of Ashcroft has had tongues wagging over the summer.

Having been taken with the second selection of the 2022 AFL Draft, the talented teenager has already earned the highest praise inside the four walls of the Den.

"He's probably the best I've seen (in terms of a) ready-made talent ... it's phenomenal what he can do. At ground level, around stoppages, for a first-year player, it's pretty special to watch," Neale said.

Your 2023 Brisbane Lions Captains

Harris Andrews and Lachie Neale will co-captain the Brisbane Lions in 2023, with Hugh McCluggage named as vice-captain.

The trio will lead the Club into an exciting new era.

The pair take the reins from outgoing skipper Dayne Zorko who had captained the Lions since 2018.

Neale’s appointment as co-captain sees him add to an already impressive resume, which includes a long list of achievements headlined by the 2020 Brownlow Medal.

He capped off a stellar 2022 season, taking home a third All-Australian blazer (2019, 2020, 2022) and winning a third Merrett-Murray Medal, as well as placing second in the Brownlow Medal, missing out on first place by a singular vote.

The 29-year-old had a taste of the captaincy last season as stand-in skipper for the Lions’ Round 17 clash against Essendon with Zorko and Andrews both unavailable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“1000 Touches”: The Daily Routine Behind Star Lion’s Best Asset

Brownlow Medallist Lachie Neale is renowned as one of the best professionals in the AFL.

Standing at 178cm and 84kg, Neale has had to work on different aspects of his game to set him apart in a sea of giant midfield competitors like Patrick Cripps (195cm, 93kg), Marcus Bontempelli (194cm, 96kg), Tom Green (192cm, 92kg) and Scott Pendlebury (191cm, 86kg).

Given his stature, Neale has had to create a point of difference throughout his career and he believes his advantage comes from being clean with ball in hand in tight spaces.

Neale believes that his cleanliness buys him time that other players may have through their hulking frames or explosive pace, assets he knows he doesn't possess.

“Well, I think for myself because of my height, or lack of really, I feel like for me being clean is my absolute one wood,” Neale told SEN Breakfast.

“That buys me more time than some other people around me because I feel like if I’m clean with a footy, I don’t have to have that explosive pace or the biggest engine going around or the strongest frame.

“Being clean with the footy is my number one tip to any kid really, especially if they’re a smaller type like me and not the fastest bloke going around.

“That’s sort of my point of difference and it’s something that I knew coming into the AFL I had to nail and for the last 12 years I've worked on it every day.

“Being clean with the footy is the number one thing and always will be for me.”

0 of 2 minutes, 43 secondsVolume 0%
x close
To try and make sure his touch remains in top order, Neale revealed the daily routine that allows him to make sure he gets the most out of his biggest strength.

“Every day I’d do at least probably 20 to 30 ground balls, even that’s when we’re not training,” Neale said.

“Today (on a non-training day) I’ll go into the club and do some (ground balls) and then pump out probably 1000 touches as well at our new facility.

“I’ll go and do some touch with Cam Bruce and some of the other mids and probably get 1000 touches of the footy today and today's not a main session.

“So, I’ll do more tomorrow (when training is on), but that’s what I’ll do today.”

Neale is in fine form after collecting the Marcus Ashcroft Medal for best afield against Gold Coast in Round 10 with 35 disposals and 10 clearances.

He’ll hope to carry that form into the Lions’ Round 11 clash against the Crows at the Adelaide Oval on Sunday afternoon.

Neale Down to Lachie's Impressive 100 Games

lachie-01.png

Lachie Neale is set this week to complete the best first 100 games in Brisbane history.

Statistically, it’s no argument. At 99 games Neale has had 2856 possessions and polled 93 Brownlow Medal votes, plus any votes he might poll to this point in 2023.

His vote tally is a massive leader. Next best is Tom Rockliff’s 51 votes and Simon Black’s 50. Michael Voss had 43 votes at 100 games, Adrian Fletcher 36 and Jonathan Brown and Matthew Clarke 30.

And Neale, who will play his 100th game in Brisbane colours against Richmond at the Gabba on Thursday night, will be well clear of Rockliff’s 2648 possessions, which is currently the most by a 100-gamer from Fletcher (2386), Black (2184), Jack Redden (2121) and Pearce Hanley (2109).

lachie-02.png

While the Neale numbers are inflated given he was 25 and had played 135 games at Fremantle before heading to Brisbane in 2019, they are undeniable in their quality.

Fletcher, who played 45 games at Geelong and St.Kilda before joining Brisbane, is next best among the 13 other ‘imports’ to play 100 games for the club. Queenslander Scott McIvor, a 55-gamer at Fitzroy before returning ‘home’ in year two of the Bears, had 2017 and is the only other ‘import’ beyond 2000.

While Josh Dunkley, who has quickly become such an important player for Brisbane, is shaping as the best recruit in the AFL this year, Neale is undeniably the best recruit of the past five years.

While Gold Coast pair Tom Lynch (85 games) and Steven May (82 games) have won premierships at Richmond and Melbourne respectively, Neale’s medal votes, which saw him win the League’s highest individual honour in 2020, finish second by one vote in 2022 and equal second in 2019, are extraordinary. Lynch has poled 17 votes and May five votes (plus 2023 votes).

Ironically, the only player in the League who has played more games than Neale since 2019 after switching clubs is long-time close friend and teammate Lincoln McCarthy. He’s played 104.

And clear second for votes since 2019 by a recruit (and third for games) is Brisbane 92-gamer Jarryd Lyons at 52 votes. West Coast’s Tim Kelly is next with 24 votes from Brisbane delistee Ben Keays, who has polled 23 votes after being picked up by Adelaide. Votes for 2023 are still to be added.

lachie-03.png

Along the way, Neale has also posted a club record for most possessions in a game – 51 against Richmond at the MCG in Round 23 2019. This is the fifth-highest in all-time AFL history.

He has posted a Brisbane record for most possessions in a season – aggregate and average. His 742 possessions in 2019 at 30.92 possessions per game is a club best on average. And his 749 possessions in 2022 (average 29.96) is the best overall.

He is the only player in Brisbane history to have 700 possessions in a season, and also has had 43 games of 30-possessions or more, including six at 40+ and his ‘half century’ – which earned him three medal votes in a 27-point loss.

And his 31 votes to win the Brownlow in 2020 is a club record – despite the fact that votes were only awarded in 17 home-and-away games due to Covid. Plus, his 28 votes last year and his 26 votes in 2019 are the next best season totals in club history ahead of Black’s 25 votes in 2002.

With nine Brisbane finals inside his first 100 games for the club Neale ranks equal ninth behind Jonathan Brown (15), Mal Michael and Martin Pike (13), Tim Notting (12), Black and Robert Copeland (11) and Luke Power (10).

lachie-04.png

But in the list of grand finals and premierships for 100-gamers and see he has a zero. And he’ll look enviously at the grand final column numbers and see Brown, Michael, Pike (4), Copeland (3), Black, Power, Clark Keating, Brad Scott, Notting (2), Johnson, Bradshaw, Charman and McGrath (1).

And in the premiership columns he’ll see Brown, Michael, Pike (3), Black, Power, Keating, Copeland, Notting and Brad Scott (2) and Johnson, Bradshaw, Charman and McGrath (1).

And that will be his only focus in the next three months.

Nine things we learned: Clever veteran key to Dees' flag hopes

4) Lachie Neale's return to form has been perfectly timed
Friday night was crucial for Brisbane, with the Lions all but locking in a home qualifying final and - just as importantly - Lachie Neale returning to form after a lean patch by his high standards. Chris Fagan revealed post-game that Neale had been struggling with illness and injury niggles to the point where the coach offered his star midfielder the opportunity to have the week off. Neale didn't want that and went to work against Collingwood to show he will have a big say in September, finishing with 31 disposals, 13 contested possessions, 10 clearances (four centre bounce clearances) and six score involvements. Timing is everything at this point of the year and the Lions' linchpin may have timed his run perfectly. - Josh Gabelich

Lions Trio Nominated for AFLPA MVP

MVP: Josh Dunkley, Lachie Neale, Harris Andrews

Best Captain: Lachie Neale and Harris Andrews

Four Lions Named in All-Australian Squad

The Brisbane Lions have had four players named in the AFL's All-Australian squad of 44.

Co-Captains Lachie Neale and Harris Andrews headline the inclusions following their strong seasons, while Joe Daniher and Charlie Cameron have also been selected in the extended squad.

Neale fires back at tagging criticism, All-Australian snub

LACHIE Neale is playing with a chip on his shoulder this September, admitting he's taken note of those who have doubted his ability this year.

In a frank press conference on Tuesday morning, Brisbane's co-captain bit back at questions over his ability to handle a tag, saying he welcomed opposition attention and was ready for anything they threw at him or the Lions.

On the back of another stellar season in which he led the AFL for clearances and was third for winning contested possessions, Neale was a notable absentee from the All-Australian team that was announced last week, conceding he knew his omission was coming a month ago.

"I understand those teams and how hard they are to crack into, there's some superstar players around the competition," Neale said.

"I still feel like I've made a really strong contribution to the team this year.

"I probably knew a month out when (All-Australian selectors) Cornesy (Kane Cornes) and Bucks (Nathan Buckley) said I wasn't in very good form, so I probably knew I was going to miss out a month ago.

"I've been around long enough to not let those decisions and accolades affect me going forward and my mindset."

Cornes, along with co-host David King, critiqued Neale's form on radio after a late-season Lions win over Fremantle, citing the 2020 Brownlow medallist as the 284th-ranked player in the competition over the previous month based on Champion Data statistics.

Buckley also questioned Neale's work-rate during the win over the Dockers, pointing to some strong running from his opponent Hayden Young.

Neale finished fifth in the AFL Coaches Association MVP Award and although he was dealing with some "bumps and bruises" late in the season, felt he was an integral part to the midfield that had the best clearance differential in the competition.

He admitted the external commentary occasionally played a role in his motivation.

"When you get to my age and my experience you take little pieces of different things, not necessarily media driven, to find motivation and keep you going," he said.

"I've done it in the past where you pick up on a thing and you might be grinding in a two-hour session in pre-season, and it just triggers you to keep going.

"(Do I) keep receipts? Sometimes."

The three-time All-Australian has certainly taken note of the criticism around his production when tagged, including from the above commentators.

When asked about how he might approach being tagged against Port Adelaide at the Gabba on Saturday night, like he was in the round 20 contest against Gold Coast where Touk Miller kept him to 17 disposals, Neale was direct.

"It's interesting. Have you seen our games the last couple of weeks? Do you reckon I got any attention in those games?

"I could have handled that day better (against the Suns) for sure. But I find it pretty funny (when the) media say that if you shut me down, Brisbane are going to lose.

"I get attention most weeks and when I perform badly it gets reflected that way, whereas nothing gets said when we do well as a team or I go alright.

"I feel like I'm ready for anything. I've dealt with it for a long time now.

"You have those days where you're a bit off, which I was against Gold Coast. But I feel like I'm ready for whatever teams throw at me and us.

"I've had games where I've been down and been tagged and we won by 10 goals. I'm confident in whatever happens."

Neale said the Lions are wary of Port after Ken Hinkley's team embarrassed them in the opening round of the season.

He had high praise for the midfield of Zak Butters, Connor Rozee, Jason Horne-Francis, Ollie Wines and Willem Drew.

"That mix of power and speed in there is probably the best in the comp," he said.

"One of, if not the best midfields in the comp. It's a great challenge for our guys."

Neale Creates History With Second Brownlow

brownlow-header.png

Star Brisbane midfielder Lachie Neale has won the 2023 Brownlow Medal, becoming just the 16th player in VFL/AFL history to win the prestigious award multiple times after prevailing in a thrilling count on Monday night.

Neale, who won the 2020 Brownlow Medal in a dominant season and will be playing to win his first premiership in Saturday's Grand Final, polled 31 votes to win from Western Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli on 29.

The brilliant onballer was confirmed as the winner only after collecting three votes in the final round of the season, with five players entering round 24 as winning chances.

Collingwood star Nick Daicos (28 votes) finished third after entering the final round with a narrow lead, with Sydney wingman Errol Gulden (27), Port Adelaide star Zak Butters (27), and Melbourne Norm Smith medallist Christian Petracca narrowly behind on 26.

It was Neale who surpassed them all, however, after saving his seventh best on ground performance until the final round of the year, receiving his Medal in Brisbane as he prepares for Saturday's Grand Final.

The former Docker, who joins ex-teammate Nat Fyfe as a dual winner, was rewarded for a season in which he averaged 27.4 disposals across 23 home-and-away games, averaging 8.1 clearances as one of the game's stoppage specialists.

It was heartbreak for Bontempelli, who was also runner-up in 2021. Daicos, meanwhile, led the count for seven weeks after round 17 but couldn't hold on.

The young Magpies star, in just his second season, was the pre-count favourite and made a fast start as expected, polling 13 votes to lead after six rounds with three early best-on-ground performances.

His votes dried up over the next four rounds, however, with the midfielder overlooked for votes in some of the bigger performances of his season, including a 41-disposal game against Greater Western Sydney in round nine.

Petracca and Neale instead made a run and jockeyed at the top of the leaderboard through the middle stages, with Neale taking the lead back for a three-week run after round 14.

Gold Coast midfielder Noah Anderson was the surprise vote-getter, sitting as high as equal second after 15 rounds following his fifth best-on-ground performance and remaining in striking distance thereafter.

The leading contenders all pressed with big games in round 16, with Daicos collecting his second consecutive set of three votes to move into second place on the leaderboard, just one vote behind Neale.

The 20-year-old continued to surge in a stunning run of post-bye form and took the outright lead in round 17 during a run of four consecutive best-on-ground performances.

Daicos had a battle on his hands knowing injury would strike early in the round 21 clash against Hawthorn, but he held the lead all the way to the final round of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back