Senior Lachie Neale (2018-) (Co-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury no excuse for Neale

The reigning Brownlow medallist said he "won't go into detail" about the injury, but conceded he was not 100 per cent.

Through Brisbane's 1-3 start to the season, Neale is averaging just 22 disposals, well down on last year's 26 in shortened games.

He said the biggest frustration was his inability to train during the week.

"I've put my hand up to play the last few weeks and been able to get through the games," he said.

"Once you do that, you're deemed fit. I'm sure there's a lot of guys carrying injuries around the comp.

"The thing it's affecting the most is my ability to train consistently.

"That's the most frustrating part, but I'm able to play, that's also an important thing."

Neale said the injury was not getting worse and he expected it to "get better pretty quickly".

Brisbane needs his form – among others – to improve quickly, starting with Saturday night's match against Essendon at the Gabba.

"I'm not playing my best footy at the moment, but feel like I'm getting towards that," he said.

"We're going OK (as a team). We're not at our absolute best.

"We're still really confident in our group and our ability. The season's very very early.

"We're not in any panic stations."

Ankle surgery to put Brownlow Lion out of action

BROWNLOW medallist Lachie Neale will be put under the knife on Monday to repair an ankle injury sustained in Saturday's win over Carlton.

Neale limped off during the first quarter after clutching his right ankle in a tackle before playing out the game with 24 disposals from more than 80 per cent game time.

It was part of a rough afternoon for the 27-year-old, who also came from the ground with a blood rule. While alerting the umpire of the knock to his head, Neale made contact with the officiating umpire and was handed a $1500 fine on Sunday evening by the Match Review Officer.

A clearer timeline on Neale's recovery is expected in the days following his surgery.

The Lions play Port Adelaide, Fremantle, Gold Coast and Richmond over the next month, while the rehabilitation from the ankle setback is also expected to give Neale further time to assist an ongoing back injury he's carried through the first six weeks of the season.

Neale to undergo surgery

The Brisbane Lions can confirm Lachie Neale is set for surgery to repair a syndesmosis injury.

The Brownlow medalist suffered the injury in the Lions’ 18-point win over Carlton at Marvel Stadium on Saturday.

He will undergo surgery on Monday and is expected to miss up to eight weeks with the injury.

The Lions had already activated the injury substitute after Darcy Gardiner was injured and Lions General Manager of Football Danny Daly said Neale’s efforts in playing out the game after suffering the injury had inspired the entire Club.

“What Lachie did on the weekend for our football club was huge,’’ he said.

“That was an important game, we had already been forced to make an injury substitution and he stayed out there and battled on under duress and played a huge part in helping us get the win.

“This setback is unfortunate for Lachie, but he is the complete professional and we know that he will do everything in his power to get back as quickly as possible and we are confident he will play more great footy for us this year.

This presents an opening now for someone and we are excited to see who can make the most of the opportunity.’’

'There's a chance he'll be right': Neale could be back next week

BRISBANE'S Brownlow medallist Lachie Neale is in the frame to play Friday night's heavyweight battle against Melbourne.

Neale injured his ankle in the Lions' round six win over Carlton and has progressed rapidly following surgery.

Following Brisbane's crushing 64-point win over Greater Western Sydney on Saturday, coach Chris Fagan said his star onballer was firming to return.

"There's a chance that he'll be right," Fagan said.

"He's progressing really well, so the decision will be, we've got a bye the week after as long as everything proceeds as planned.

"It may make more sense to wait until after that bye, but we'll just see what happens this week."

Neale Poised To Make AFL History

Neale needs just eight possessions against Geelong at the Gabba tomorrow night to become the 149th player in League history to reach 5000 possessions since the League start keeping records in 1965.

Barring the unexpected, he will reach this mark in his 187th game – quicker than everyone in the last 56 years except 1986-94 Brownlow Medallist Greg Williams, who was 178 games to 5000 possessions at Geelong, Sydney and Carlton, and Adam Treloar, who took 179 games playing with GWS, Collingwood and this year the Western Bulldogs.

To further underline the enormity of the 2020 Brownlow Medallist’s achievement, he has played through two period of reduced game time.

In his first 24 games at Fremantle, when the AFL employed a ‘substitute’ player who wore the dreaded green vest sitting on the bench until he was called into the game, he was the standby player seven times and averaged only 33 percent game time.

This included the 2013 grand final against Hawthorn, when we played only 20 percent of time.

Also, last year all games were played over game time reduced by 20 percent due to Covid.

There is a strong Lions flavor to the top 10 on this illustrious group of ball magnets.

Fitzroy champion Garry Wilson took 190 games to 5000 possessions to rank fifth, two games behind games behind St.Kilda dual Brownlow Medallist Robert Harvey, who is the game’s leading possession-winner all-time and will take over as Collingwood interim coach this weekend.

And Tom Rockliff, who played his first nine seasons in Brisbane before heading to Port Adelaide, is equal eighth with West Coast Brownlow Medallist Matt Priddis and ex-Collingwood captain Wayne Richardson. They were 192 games to 5000 possessions.

Completing the top 10 at 191 games are Sydney’s Josh Kennedy and Collingwood Brownlow Medallist Dane Swan.

Interestingly, among the 149 players who have topped 5000 possessions Williams was quickest to each major milestone. He was 35 games to 1000, 71 games to 2000, 105 games to 3000 and 140 games to 4000.

Neale, equal 34th among this group to 1000 possessions at 51 games, was equal seventh to 2000 (84 games), equal fifth to 3000 and third behind Williams and Treloar to 4000.

AFL star Lachie Neale plays on after suffering ‘scary’ injury

The Lions dominated the first quarter of their clash with fellow premiership heavyweights Geelong, but the Brisbane home crowd was left biting its fingernails when Lachie Neale left the field injured.

The 2020 Brownlow Medallist looked worse for wear after a tackle from Cats forward Jeremy Cameron.

When Neale clutched at his shoulder in agony, punters feared the worst.

He left the field, appearing to have suffered a dislocated right shoulder.

It was a case of déjà vu for the Brisbane faithful; Thursday night’s contest was just Neale’s third game back from an ankle injury that required surgery earlier this year.

“That’s stinging, that shoulder. He’s motioning to the sideline, it doesn’t look good,” said James Brayshaw in his call of the game.

“The Brownlow Medallist looks in real discomfort.”

However, the star midfielder showed his tenacity when he re-entered the fray just minutes later to test his injured shoulder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neale Welcomes Baby Girl

Lneale.png

Brisbane midfielder Lachie Neale and his wife Jules have welcomed their first child into the world on Wednesday, baby Piper Rose Neale.

Jules announced Piper's arrival on Instagram on Thursday in a heartfelt post about their daughter.

“And just like that all the years of dreaming, wishing, longing don’t seem to matter because here you are in my arms after all,’’ Jules wrote on Thursday.

Lachie also shared the exciting news on Instagram, along with a beautiful message to his daughter and wife.

"Welcome to the world Piper Rose. You’re now my world. @jules_neale you’re a star" the Brownlow medalist wrote.

Piper is the Lions latest little cub after Cal Ah Chee and Keidean Coleman also became first-time Fathers earlier this year.

There'll be no shortage of Father-Son-and-Daughter picks for the club in 2039 and 2040.

Congratulations Jules and Lachie!

2021 Season Review: Lachie Neale

It was always going to be a challenge to top his 2020 heroics for Lachie Neale.

And a series of back and ankle injuries that kept him out of six games made the task even tougher.

While everything clicked in 2020, Neale’s pre-season was disrupted by a calf injury, and it always looked like this year was going to be one where he would be forced to grind it out.

The 2020 Brownlow medalist proved his mettle by playing through pain in the early stages of the season and then underlined his class with a brilliant finals campaign that saw him collect a staggering 46 disposals in the qualifying final loss to Melbourne and back it up with a hard earned 28 touches in the nail biting one point semi-final loss to the Bulldogs.

His effort against the eventual premiership winning Demons was the second highest possession tally of his career and set a new benchmark for AFL finals.

It was the game that should give Lions fans hope for 2022. He amassed an AFL finals record 46 disposals with 25 contested possessions and 13 clearances.

Throughout the back end of the year Neale gathered 30 plus possessions in four games to prove he remains one of the premier midfielders in the competition.

He is contracted until the end of 2023.

Lachie and partner Jules also became brand new parents, welcoming Piper Rose Neale to the world late last month.

Standout Performance: Don't Mess with Lachie Post-Bye

Having played just one game in eight weeks, it would be expected for a player to slightly rusty upon their return to the game... not for Lachie!

The bye week seemed to do the 2020 Brownlow Medallist wonders, as he took Tasmania by storm in Round 14, leading the Lions to a gutsy 23 point win in the wet against North Melbourne.

Amassing 30 disposals, laying 10 tackles and kicking a crucial goal, Neale was vital in the Lions bounce back to form after being overrun by eventual premiers, Melbourne in Round 12.

Impressively, in Brisbane's 33-point loss to the Demon's in the Qualifying Final, Neale set the AFL record for most disposals in a final after racking up a massive 46 disposals and 13 clearances.

Season Averages:

Disposals - 27 (Elite)

Handball - 14.1 (Elite)

Tackles - 4.1 (Above-Average)

Marks - 3.9 (Above-Average)

Clearances - 6.3 (Elite)

Neale: A Man on a Mission

article-size-template.png

Lachie Neale has a point to prove in 2022.

The Brownlow Medallist had an interrupted 2021 season and was hampered by calf, back, ankle and shoulder problems throughout the year.

While managing 17 games and averaging 27 touches, it was a disappointing year by his lofty standards.

But early signs are showing that the best of Lachie Neale may still be coming.

_DSC1855.JPG

Returning a week earlier than required and rivalling the likes of Harry Sharp and Hugh McCluggage in running drills, Neale appears to have added another layer to his already impressive arsenal.

Speaking on his 2021 season, the 28-year-old said it was a challenging start.

“Probably coming off last pre-season, I wasn’t able to train at all before a week or two out from our trial game against Gold Coast,” Neale said.

Neale had his hands full in the off-season, balancing Dad life after the arrival of his daughter, Piper Rose Neale, but still managed to build his aerobic base.

_DSC9699.JPG

“I just wanted to have a solid off-season.

“I wanted to get my body right, my mind right and be ready to go for day one.”

“I wanted to come in the best shape possible. I’ve shed a couple of kilos and feel like I’m moving really well.”

“I’m just looking forward to summer with the boys and preparing for next season with the team.”

Neale and the team will return to pre-season training on the 10th of January.

Lachie Neale moves toward cementing long-term Brisbane Lions deal after Fremantle Dockers speculation

Brisbane believes Lachie Neale will this year return to his Brownlow Medal form of 2020 as he moves towards cementing his long-term future at the club.

Neale’s future was one of footy’s biggest stories last year amid speculation he was keen to return home to Perth along with pregnant wife Jules.

He made clear in his exit interview — despite Fremantle catching wind of the potential move — he was keen to remain at the club to honour a contract that finishes at the end of next year.

Neale’s pre-season has been sublime after a disastrous 2021 that saw him still playing 17 games despite a broken bone in his back and a syndesmosis injury that curtailed his running power.

One of the Neales’ principal concerns was whether Jules would have support with their new baby – daughter Piper Rose was born in September – if the WA border stayed shut throughout 2022.

But the border will come down on March 3, with Jules currently in quarantine after flying home to see relatives in Western Australia.

The open border will also allow her parents to spend several months a year in Brisbane, with the Lions also pledging to ramp up their support structures around the family.

It is understood the pair have even sold their property in Perth as they look to build a long-term future in Brisbane.

Neale, 28, was frustrated by the reporting of the episode and is declining media interviews for the foreseeable future.

But if he can regain his slashing 2020 form – which saw him poll 31 votes in a truncated 17-game season in 2020 – he would be open to extending his Lions contact later in the season.

Lachie Neale says questions about his character were the most disappointing part of having his future played out publicly last year.

In September it was reported Brisbane's Brownlow medallist was considering a return to Western Australia, the home of his wife Jules and where he'd played for Fremantle.

The ensuing two days were a frenzy of speculation that Neale squashed by re-affirming his commitment to the Lions, the club he was contracted to until the end of 2023.

Since then, the 28-year-old has witnessed the birth of his first child, Piper, and put in a flawless pre-season, saying he is re-energised, rejuvenated and the most excited he's been ahead of a season.

Introducing Our '22 Leaders

Returning to the group are 2021 All Australian Daniel Rich, defensive stalwarts Darcy Gardiner and Ryan Lester, champion midfielder Lachie Neale and his best mate and forward line general Linc McCarthy and emerging champion Hugh McCluggage.

200 and Hungrier Than Ever

Lachie Neale won a Brownlow Medal two years ago, but the Brisbane ball magnet believes 2022 can be his best season yet.

Neale will run out for his 200th career game on Thursday night when the Lions host Collingwood at the Gabba, as the prolific midfielder looks to continue his fine start to the season.

Averaging 32 disposals a game and leading the League in contested possessions (18) and clearances (nine), the 28-year-old is a major reason behind Brisbane's 3-1 start.

Neale says after a faultless pre-season he's in a great spot.

"I feel body-wise, fitness levels, performance-wise, I can definitely have my best year this year," he said.

"It's still early … but I've set myself up to have one of my better years.

"Talk's pretty cheap at this point in time, I've got to go out and deliver.

"I feel like I've had a good start and the team's had a good start, which helps.

"I'm loving my footy more than ever. I feel a bit rejuvenated and I'm as hungry as I've ever been."

That hunger, Neale says, comes from a variety of places.

The South Australian was taken at pick No.58 in the 2011 NAB AFL Draft and took some time to establish himself as a regular at Fremantle.

Neale says he always had the belief, but still feels a little uncomfortable being called one of the best players in the game, despite thinking his best football is at that level.

Following his Brownlow triumph in 2020, Neale suffered a myriad of injuries last year that hampered his continuity.

"In the off-season I was lucky enough to become a father and that's given me a new perspective and new motivation," he said.

"There was a lot of talk in the off-season about myself as well, which really fuelled me.

"I wanted to prove to our club and my teammates I was as committed as ever and wanted to have a really strong off-season and get ready for a really big impact this year.

"And the other one is where the team's at. I feel like we're in such a good window to challenge the top echelon of teams and for a premiership, and I wanted to play my part in that, and that motivates me more than anything."Knowing we have an opportunity, I feel, this year, next year and hopefully a few years after that, to challenge for it, that sits in the back of my head and gets me up out of bed every morning, for sure."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back