Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Any statistical model that has someone who gets 21 disposals, 5 I50s, 4 clearances and 3 tackles as the 304th best player in the competition is just obviously complete rubbish.
You can't deny his kicking has been off this year. And that's what this is referring to.. he does everything else extremely well, imo.

Last edited:
You can't deny his kicking has been off this year. And that's what this is referring to.. not everything else that he does do extremely well.
That is not how the article has been written.

At the moment, off our 100X ratings systems, he [De Goey] is the 304th rated player in the competition AND the worst kick.
That does not read as you're claiming. It might be a case of misspeaking or poor writing, but the point as it's written is nonsense.

His disposal has been off this year. Lots of hospital handballs, kicks to the opposition, too long, too short etc.

Thankfully he's doing everything else really well.
He's been missing shots at goal too, but he's been excellent in every other respect.
It will click for him, hopefully tomorrow.

Hoyne said he's had a stinker of a season until this last weekend, yet the weekend before he got 10 coaches votes
Champion Data's statistical analysis seems way out of whack with reality. I think they need some new mathematicians to work out what matters in a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is not how the article has been written.

That does not read as you're claiming. It might be a case of misspeaking or poor writing, but the point as it's written is nonsense.
I'm just agreeing that his kicking has been off. I listened to Hoyne on sen, so I wasn't going off a few grabs in that post.

I think JDG has done everything else well, but also think his disposal has been a bit off. I don't really care where he's rated according to CD.

I'm just agreeing that his kicking has been off. I listened to Hoyne on sen, so I wasn't going off a few grabs in that post.

I think JDG has done everything else well, but also think his disposal has been a bit off. I don't really care where he's rated according to CD.
I'm with you. His ball drop has always been high, but I think it's got higher.

Any statistical model that has someone who gets 21 disposals, 5 I50s, 4 clearances and 3 tackles as the 304th best player in the competition is just obviously complete rubbish.
Really? It measures impact not just raw numbers and he’s the worst kick in the league which brings his rating down significantly.

Agree. According to Footywire he is 4th in total clangers and 10th in clangers per game league wide.

2024-04-24_192626.jpg

Really? It measures impact not just raw numbers and he’s the worst kick in the league which brings his rating down significantly.
Yeah, and I’m saying it’s completely wrong in its measurement of impact. If their model thinks De Goey is having the 304th most positive impact in the competition, then it’s a useless model

Yeah, and I’m saying it’s completely wrong in its measurement of impact. If their model thinks De Goey is having the 304th most positive impact in the competition, then it’s a useless model
Again though he’s the worst kick in the league. All it takes is for the models to rate kicking as a statistically significant factor in measuring impact (which it has to be) and he’s going to be marked harshly. He really hasn’t started the year well and I’m personally taking it as a great sign for us because it provides plenty of scope for improvement.

Again though he’s the worst kick in the league. All it takes is for the models to rate kicking as a statistically significant factor in measuring impact (which it has to be) and he’s going to be marked harshly. He really hasn’t started the year well and I’m personally taking it as a great sign for us because it provides plenty of scope for improvement.
Do you think 303 players have had a more positive impact than him?

Yeah but they also have to rate kicking accurately. I don't think they're there yet. last year I saw an article about champion data's new rating for kicking which combined retention with impact - they didn't say how they assessed impact. One thing was obvious when they went through the blokes they rated high and low was that you needed to get a lot of uncontested possessions in the back half to be a good kick and if you won contests and kicked it inside 50 a lot you were a s**t kick. Probably helped with which team you played for and how they planned to move the footy too.

Jordy is shanking this year though. he's one I've always thought is a better kick than he should be, as his ball drop is high. I think he's got short arms - affects his tackling too as he's always missed more tackles than someone of his power should.

Last edited:
Do you think 303 players have had a more positive impact than him?
We’ve been pretty average so far this year and I’d have him somewhere between 10-15 for us so I don’t think it’s a stretch to suggest there’s been 15-20 better than him at the best clubs. Could I name 303 better? No. Would I agree with all 303? Probably not. Do I think it’s such a bad call to trash their model? Definitely not.

Yeah but they also have to rate kicking accurately. I don't think they're there yet. last year I saw an article about champion data's new rating for kicking which combined retention with impact - they didn't say how they assessed impact. One thing was obvious when they went through the blokes they rated high and low was that you needed to get a lot of uncontested possessions in the back half to be a good kick and if you won contests and kicked it inside 50 a lot you were a s**t kick.
That isn’t how it works. Three practical examples of how it works would be:

1. Sheezel plays on from a kick in goes sideways to Bailey Scott and hits him on the chest. The kick rating is 0.

2. Sheezel is in the same play, but this time chips it straight to Gunston. The kick rating is -3.

3. JDG receives a handball from Daicos out of congestion and goes bang from the edge of 50. The kick rating is +3.

I believe those individual ratings are then tallied to get your total kick rating if not they’d use a weighted model where the Sheezel turnover and JDG goal are worth much more than the simple hit target. The syste takes every element of the match situation into consideration hence why it’s the clear best metric we have to rate players.

The highest rated kick last year based on your comments and CD’s overall rating I have to assume was Sinclair? The reason being he often receives uncontested ball in the back half then goes immediately always forward and through the corridor. He is the quintessential 70 metre player. It would lead to a lot of score launches for St Kilda and he never misses a target. This year though, as of a fortnight ago, it was Willem Drew.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back