Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

That isn’t how it works. Three practical examples of how it works would be:

1. Sheezel plays on from a kick in goes sideways to Bailey Scott and hits him on the chest. The kick rating is 0.

2. Sheezel is in the same play, but this time chips it straight to Gunston. The kick rating is -3.

3. JDG receives a handball from Daicos out of congestion and goes bang from the edge of 50. The kick rating is +3.

I believe those individual ratings are then tallied to get your total kick rating if not they’d use a weighted model where the Sheezel turnover and JDG goal are worth much more than the simple hit target. The syste takes every element of the match situation into consideration hence why it’s the clear best metric we have to rate players.

The highest rated kick last year based on your comments and CD’s overall rating I have to assume was Sinclair? The reason being he often receives uncontested ball in the back half then goes immediately always forward and through the corridor. He is the quintessential 70 metre player. It would lead to a lot of score launches for St Kilda and he never misses a target. This year though, as of a fortnight ago, it was Willem Drew.
I can't remember most of the names, or if it's the same system that you're describing - Amon was high, Gulden was low were a couple i can remember. My guess is that Gulden is low due to shorter kicks that turnover at a much higher rate when he's kicking inside 50 compared to those kicking from defence. But I don't know how they measured it all.

Last edited:
That isn’t how it works. Three practical examples of how it works would be:

1. Sheezel plays on from a kick in goes sideways to Bailey Scott and hits him on the chest. The kick rating is 0.

2. Sheezel is in the same play, but this time chips it straight to Gunston. The kick rating is -3.

3. JDG receives a handball from Daicos out of congestion and goes bang from the edge of 50. The kick rating is +3.

I believe those individual ratings are then tallied to get your total kick rating if not they’d use a weighted model where the Sheezel turnover and JDG goal are worth much more than the simple hit target. The syste takes every element of the match situation into consideration hence why it’s the clear best metric we have to rate players.

The highest rated kick last year based on your comments and CD’s overall rating I have to assume was Sinclair? The reason being he often receives uncontested ball in the back half then goes immediately always forward and through the corridor. He is the quintessential 70 metre player. It would lead to a lot of score launches for St Kilda and he never misses a target. This year though, as of a fortnight ago, it was Willem Drew.
How about Nick's torp on Saturday?
Shades of his Dad on that one.

How about Nick's torp on Saturday?
Shades of his Dad on that one.
I’m doing this off the top of my head, but I’d guess a small positive.

Ground ball get, contested, clearance, metres gained, under pressure and I50. This is where the memory is a bit fuzzy because that avalanche of goals kind of blended, but I reckon it hit Ratugalea on the chest (?) which would bring it down.

His one to spot up Schultz in the square would have been rated higher I reckon 👍

The worst display of handballing I have EVER seen.

2/10 of his handballs that I was watching actually hit their target.

His kicking is also awful. Embarrassing ball use, so lazy.

JDG is a victim of being the only real clearance mid we have, he's being double teamed and we are being outnumbered around the contests

How does that explain him missing 6-7 handballs and constantly SHANKING kicks?

One of the worst ball users in 2024.

The amount of handballs he had that missed is absolutely MIND BLOWING that more people aren't talking about it. He had a period where 7/8 of his handballs missed the target. Bizzarre

How does that explain him missing 6-7 handballs and constantly SHANKING kicks?

One of the worst ball users in 2024.

The amount of handballs he had that missed is absolutely MIND BLOWING that more people aren't talking about it. He had a period where 7/8 of his handballs missed the target. Bizzarre
I'm just trying to be positive , he's having to do all the bullocking work atm and it's really hard to produce repeat efforts when you're constantly under pressure

I'm just trying to be positive , he's having to do all the bullocking work atm and it's really hard to produce repeat efforts when you're constantly under pressure

He isn't even a bad user, but his disposal this year could easily be the worst in the AFL. His kicking is woeful, lazy lazy kicks off 1 step, running bananas, hospital kicks... And today he even brought back the hospital handpass ! Haven't seen that in a few years.

He isn't even a bad user, but his disposal this year could easily be the worst in the AFL. His kicking is woeful, lazy lazy kicks off 1 step, running bananas, hospital kicks... And today he even brought back the hospital handpass ! Haven't seen that in a few years.
Oh will you look at that, here he is! Kap goes bang!

Jordy is our most important player and still has a huge impact when clubbing it poorly like he did today. It’s such a classic heroic Kappa move to pull out the boots after 19 coaches votes in 2 weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if Jordy is carrying an injury?

Normally he is a beautiful kick, and he had his best pre season according to reports.

Maybe he is carrying some sort of injury, which may contribute to his poor disposal.

Oh will you look at that, here he is! Kap goes bang!

Jordy is our most important player and still has a huge impact when clubbing it poorly like he did today. It’s such a classic heroic Kappa move to pull out the boots after 19 coaches votes in 2 weeks.

His huge impact today was turning the ball over about 10 times out of his 23 touches and 50% disposal efficiency.

Not to mention 3 hospital kicks/handpasses in as many weeks that would get you scolded in under 14's.

He is very important, and very well paid, and he needs to improve his disposal drastically, you even agree with me you just want to argue because you look at the poster not the point.

His huge impact today was turning the ball over about 10 times out of his 23 touches and 50% disposal efficiency.

Not to mention 3 hospital kicks/handpasses in as many weeks that would get you scolded in under 14's.

He is very important, and very well paid, and he needs to improve his disposal drastically, you even agree with me you just want to argue because you look at the poster not the point.
Yeah no I agree, Kap.

He has no credit in the bank, and as a result I have no faith that his disposal accuracy will improve with a few more good performances under his belt after the finals series he’s just had.

We may as well start discussing his trade worth.

Yeah no I agree, Kap.

He has no credit in the bank, and as a result I have no faith that his disposal accuracy will improve with a few more good performances under his belt after the finals series he’s just had.

We may as well start discussing his trade worth.

What's a strawman argument?

You're arguing against things I never said. Classic Windchimes.

You actually agree with everything I said, you just want to argue because you only care who says it, not what was said. Very weak strawman arguments.

What's a strawman argument?

You're arguing against things I never said. Classic Windchimes.

You actually agree with everything I said, you just want to argue because you only care who says it, not what was said. Very weak strawman arguments.
Don’t be a hero Kap.

Any opportunity and you’ll have a pop at Jordy.

His ball use has been atrocious but to me, it doesn’t look like skill errors as much as it’s his decision making.

It’s like he panics every possession. Keeps giving hospital passes.

Not sure what’s going on but hope he can find some composure. He certainly gets plenty of the ball.

His ball use has been atrocious but to me, it doesn’t look like skill errors as much as it’s his decision making.

Not sure what’s going on but hope he can find some composure. He certainly gets plenty of the ball.
Yep, agree. I heard a caller on sen the other day, say in a few of our games it's looked like perceived pressure causing so many errors & bad decisions, not actual pressure. That certainly resonated with me in regards to the Saints game, in particular. Lots of fumbling, kicking too long, too short, giving it off to players under more pressure.

Jordy seems be doing it in every game though.

Yep, agree. I heard a caller on sen the other day, say in a few of our games it's looked like perceived pressure causing so many errors & bad decisions, not actual pressure. That certainly resonated with me in regards to the Saints game, in particular. Lots of fumbling, kicking too long, too short, giving it off to players under more pressure.

Jordy seems be doing it in every game though.
That hand pass to Pendlebury.🤦‍♂️

I think he's been a strong focus of opposition defence. You often see him with more than 1 opponent. Consequence being he rarely has time and space. I think he'll adjust to it as the season progresses.

I think he's been a strong focus of opposition defence. You often see him with more than 1 opponent. Consequence being he rarely has time and space. I think he'll adjust to it as the season progresses.
A lot of it is that teams are setting a second line of defence for our forward handballs or Jordy/Nick breaking through - so it's no longer a case of get ahead of the pack and settle or avoid the one tackler by giving it to the bloke beside you who has also gotten ahead of the pack, as there's more tacklers there now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back