Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty simple. There are rules around actively bleeding players needing to leave the ground, including an obligation on the Club not to leave a player on the ground whilst actively bleeding. Whilst wiping a teammates blood isn't specifically addressed by the rules, it was clearly an attempt by Jordy to conceal the active bleeding, which at a stretch could be seen to be assisting the club to breach that rule.

It is inarguably a bad look to have players wiping other players blood and bloody unhygienic(even if we applaud Jordy's thinking to keep Darcy on the ground). Might cop a reprimand, maybe even a fine.
That's a bloody long bow to draw (pardon the pun), suggesting he might cop a fine. If Darcy wasn't bleeding (blood flowing) but rather had blood on his person and it was wiped away he would be free to continue. Jordy demonstrated acute awareness of the situation and good on him for that.

I hope this doesn't turn into another example of the league judging the spirit and not the letter of the rules. One wonders if this would receive the same attention if it wasn't a) a Collingwood player generally and, b) Jordan DeGoey, specifically!

That's a bloody long bow to draw (pardon the pun), suggesting he might cop a fine. If Darcy wasn't bleeding (blood flowing) but rather had blood on his person and it was wiped away he would be free to continue. Jordy demonstrated acute awareness of the situation and good on him for that.

I hope this doesn't turn into another example of the league judging the spirit and not the letter of the rules. One wonders if this would receive the same attention if it wasn't a) a Collingwood player generally and, b) Jordan DeGoey, specifically!
If it was a player from another team assisting his team mate, they'd be congratulating him for being a great team mate.

Remember how we were labelled w***ers for high fiving? I see players from every team do it every match & not heard a word about it.

Calm down. I guessed probably a reprimand - and likely some sort of clarification, possibly a fine.

You don't want players handling another player's blood. It's inarguable that it's something to discourage.

Calm down. I guessed probably a reprimand - and likely some sort of clarification, possibly a fine.

You don't want players handling another player's blood. It's inarguable that it's something to discourage.

you need to be careful how you use your superpowers wipey.....

for some reason it reminds me of a club drug testing before game day....
Considering the press are reporting as though the issue is trying to avoid the blood rule rather than health and hygiene, I'm thinking more what Ginni does 23 times a game - trying to fool the umpire to get an advantage.

Considering the press are reporting as though the issue is trying to avoid the blood rule rather than health and hygiene, I'm thinking more what Ginni does 23 times a game - trying to fool the umpire to get an advantage.

Pretty sure the AFL and Melbourne football club have already cornered the market on avoiding rules this season.

The blood rule was brought in during the late 80s in response to AIDS.
Is it still even relevant?

Surely players and clubs take their men off the field as soon as the can in the event of injury. And we are all much better educated these days.

Be keen for a couple of our medical members to comment.

Surely players and clubs take their men off the field as soon as the can in the event of injury. And we are all much better educated these days.

i thought the same thing about the response to HIV. I remember it being a fairly manic response to what blood could do if it splattered off and was somehow inhaled by others or rested in the corner of an eye and crept into another person's body. I had a look around and AFL isnt the only sport that gives a "blood rule" prominence, it is probably the most regimented. Most other major sports have the person wiping the blood off. The NBA gives the player 30 seconds to address it, after the game is stopped at an appropriate time. The NFL apparently has NO blood rule. In contrast, I'm sure that the AFL has a blood rule committee that meets weekly with minutes taken and an annual budget

i thought the same thing about the response to HIV. I remember it being a fairly manic response to what blood could do if it splattered off and was somehow inhaled by others or rested in the corner of an eye and crept into another person's body. I had a look around and AFL isnt the only sport that gives a "blood rule" prominence, it is probably the most regimented. Most other major sports have the person wiping the blood off. The NBA gives the player 30 seconds to address it, after the game is stopped at an appropriate time. The NFL apparently has NO blood rule. In contrast, I'm sure that the AFL has a blood rule committee that meets weekly with minutes taken and an annual budget
NFL players are so covered in protective gear and sh!t that they would never risk bleeding, and if they did, it would never show!

There were many players back in the day - Francis Bourke comes to mind - that would have been in trouble if playing in the 'Blood Rule' days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boxing doesn’t seem to mind, Tim Tszyu and his opponent bathed in each others blood.

NFL players are so covered in protective gear and sh!t that they would never risk bleeding, and if they did, it would never show!

There were many players back in the day - Francis Bourke comes to mind - that would have been in trouble if playing in the 'Blood Rule' days.

I think the blood rule was invented as a PR exercise to make a warrior out of joel selwood

What did he actually do

He handled the bodily fluids of a Collingwood player, without it being specifically exempted as part of the Father-Son breeding program.

Spot on, it was because of Aids. You don't hear much about HIV these days, although it's still a thing. I think they have meds now that can save lives.

Spot on, it was because of Aids. You don't hear much about HIV these days, although it's still a thing. I think they have meds now that can save lives.
Yup.
I think it’s referred to as Prep?

I believe it’s popular amongst the ghey community, so they can enjoy themselves safely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back