Speculation Jedd Busslinger

Remove this Banner Ad

Dogs have a number of West Aussies on their list who seem happy in Vic English, Naughton, JJ, Garcia, A Jones - hopefully he stays as well

Can’t imagine anyone at the bulldogs is particularly “happy” at the moment.

Word on dogs board is he wants to come home.

Should be able to get it done pretty easily with our F2.

Just mismanaged from the beginning.

Pickup a WA talent and don't lock him in? If he was a flight risk to begin with, why would you grab him while Eagles will likely stay low for 2+ seasons?
Can't make a kid sign can only provide a good environment and hope you can retain them. May have been his intention to return home at the outset plenty of young draftees have done it.
Have to back yourself so that you are getting the right type of players into your club. Rather just taking another mid because he might be a slightly lesser flight risk

Can’t imagine anyone at the bulldogs is particularly “happy” at the moment.

Word on dogs board is he wants to come home.

Should be able to get it done pretty easily with our F2.
Doubt a future pick gets it done. We are in the contend now window. Have to be a 2nd in this year's draft for us to probably reluctantly do the deal.

Can't make a kid sign can only provide a good environment and hope you can retain them. May have been his intention to return home at the outset plenty of young draftees have done it.
Have to back yourself so that you are getting the right type of players into your club. Rather just taking another mid because he might be a slightly lesser flight risk

Why should we rush anyway? Kid missed alot of footy in his first year and is only really starting to get rolling now.

Why should we rush anyway? Kid missed alot of footy in his first year and is only really starting to get rolling now.
We absolutely shouldn't rush anything personally I would be trying everything to keep him. He is likely only an injury away from debuting and if he comes in may rethink the situation.
Time will tell how it plays out

We absolutely shouldn't rush anything personally I would be trying everything to keep him. He is likely only an injury away from debuting and if he comes in may rethink the situation.
Time will tell how it plays out

Strings a few good weeks in and I’d be shocked if we don’t select him. But he’s yet to do that (not his fault).

Doubt a future pick gets it done. We are in the contend now window. Have to be a 2nd in this year's draft for us to probably reluctantly do the deal.

Are you in the window? Does your club think it is? It’s impossible to tell with the mixed messages coming out of the dogs.

Depending on how Buss’ year turns out obviously. FWIW I think he has strung together 2 good games in VFL and I think he’s building confidence and therefore value, but I’m not sure if he is close to debuting sans injury to current B22 player.

If he isn’t B22, and hasn’t debuted or has only played a couple of games our 2nd, which is pick 25 atm Is overs.

Jedd is uncontracted and we are down towards the bottom of the ladder.

Are you in the window? Does your club think it is? It’s impossible to tell with the mixed messages coming out of the dogs.

Depending on how Buss’ year turns out obviously. FWIW I think he has strung together 2 good games in VFL and I think he’s building confidence and therefore value, but I’m not sure if he is close to debuting sans injury to current B22 player.

If he isn’t B22, and hasn’t debuted or has only played a couple of games our 2nd, which is pick 25 atm Is overs.

Jedd is uncontracted and we are down towards the bottom of the ladder.
Pick 25 isn’t overs for a tall taken in the first round at the end of their second season. It’s probably about right.

Shot yourselves in the foot on that front having already won 2 games and Norf on 0

It didn’t stop Adelaide using the PsD threat on Sydney and getting Dawson on the cheap.

No Victorian club is taking a disgruntled player who wants to go home to WA in the PSD.

It’s not worth the hassle for clubs to bring in players who clearly don’t want to be there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’ve misunderstood. I mean if he requests a trade, it doesn’t go through, he enters the PsD and one of Hawks or North pick him up, he’d definitely be disgruntled at that club.

Other clubs would steer clear.

Yeah na that’s silly, you’re right - would never occur that way. The PSD threat has always been an amusing one.

You’ve misunderstood. I mean if he requests a trade, it doesn’t go through, he enters the PsD and one of Hawks or North pick him up, he’d definitely be disgruntled at that club.

That's how the draft system is set up though. If you're open to being drafted, you accept all of those possibilities. There isn't a club in the league that won't take a bet on themselves to turn around a young tall who was a first round pick. The worst that can happen is that it doesn't pan out, and they trade them at the end of year one.

Yeah na that’s silly, you’re right - would never occur that way. The PSD threat has always been an amusing one.

You don’t have to be 18th for PSD to have influence on trade negotiations.

Adelaide wasn’t 18th when they got Dawson for cheap from Sydney. Neither was Essendon when they paid next to nothing for Jyr Caldwell.

25 is reasonable value, but my sense is the trade will be less than that if Busslinger decided to leave and nominated West Coast as his club of choice given he is out of contract.

That's how the draft system is set up though. If you're open to being drafted, you accept all of those possibilities. There isn't a club in the league that won't take a bet on themselves to turn around a young tall who was a first round pick. The worst that can happen is that it doesn't pan out, and they trade them at the end of year one.

Worse that can happen is you bring a young player into your football program who doesn’t want to be there, and is dealing with disappointment of not getting to where he wants to, after completing his contract.

No club wants to bring in a player who doesn’t want to be there.

Worse that can happen is you bring a young player into your football program who doesn’t want to be there, and is dealing with disappointment of not getting to where he wants to, after completing his contract.

No club wants to bring in a player who doesn’t want to be there.
I'm not sure that's true. GWS drafted Tanner Bruhn a few years ago knowing full well he'd be out the door and they backed themselves to try and turn it around, obviously it didn't work out.

Edit: But they were compensated for it, which the Norths and Hawks of the world would be.

I'm not sure that's true. GWS drafted Tanner Bruhn a few years ago knowing full well he'd be out the door and they backed themselves to try and turn it around, obviously it didn't work out.

A few things. Clearly Tanner didn’t look thrilled on draft night, but I don’t know what GWS knew and didn’t know or if Bruhn had made it known he didn’t want to go, or even if it’s true he didn’t want to go.

Second GWS used pick 12, for pick 18 back two years later. Despite Tanner having played a handful a games.

There’s an indication of what Busslingers value is.

Drafting players is also fundamentally different to taking a player in the PSD who is in the PSD due to a failed trade.

They’re not comparable situations.

A few things. Clearly Tanner didn’t look thrilled on draft night, but I don’t know what GWS knew and didn’t know or if Bruhn had made it known he didn’t want to go, or even if it’s true he didn’t want to go.

Second GWS used pick 12, for pick 18 back two years later. Despite Tanner having played a handful a games.

There’s an indication of what Busslingers value is.

Drafting players is also fundamentally different to taking a player in the PSD who is in the PSD due to a failed trade.

They’re not comparable situations.
Yep, I agree, which is why I've said Pick 25 would be about right, the extra 7 picks back because Busslinger just hasn't played. If Busslinger was a midfielder then I'd happily concede 25 is overs but you do need to factor in the position Buss plays and the pre-seasons he has had.

Yep, I agree, which is why I've said Pick 25 would be about right, the extra 7 picks back because Busslinger just hasn't played. If Busslinger was a midfielder then I'd happily concede 25 is overs but you do need to factor in the position Buss plays and the pre-seasons he has had.

I’d counter that and say he has barely played at any level since July 2022.

If trade period was today 25 would be overs. He has time to put together a body of work. FWIW I actually really do rate Jedd, but I don’t think he cracks the AFL side this year.

I feel this is illogical, because you could use this argument for literally any player, and clubs simply would not trade at all if it were the case. There’s no way North/Hawks would let him slide past if he did enter the PSD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back