News Jarrod Lienert signs for North Melbourne VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not really him specifically. It's the idea getting around on this board that this dumpster fire of a season with a coach who's lost the playing group would somehow have been any better if we'd retained soft fringe players like Jarrod Lienert and Peter Ladhams. If either of them were still on our list they'd be playing just as badly as the players we kept.

And in regards to the post you quoted, even if Lienert was the best player in the league it still wouldn't any sense to compare him to Skinner. Skinner is a key defender, Lienert is a Bonner style half back.

So in the Marshall thread, anytime any criticism is levelled at him, you reply with "it's not the players!"

Now Lienert, even Ladhams, is just a fringe player that was never going to change a thing anyway.

It's a bit biased.

I dont even care that much about Lienert, it's just that any time his name comes up you're sent into a tailspin.

The delisting of Lienert to recruit the plodder in Skinner has clearly been proven to have been a mistake. He was a stretch to delist in the first place, though at his age it made sense once we picked like for like with Skinner. But Skinner is a worse selection than Brett Eddy was and unless emergency strikes we really shouldn't see him again at AFL level.

Lienert is a very solid player and one I wish all the best to. He couldnt quite crack our best 22 but gave 100% every single time he was out there. Always thought he would do better somewhere else and hope he continues his trajectory.

The idea that he would be our best back though is hilariously misinformed.

Just another point here. Jarrod had a disposal efficiency today of 96% in an AFL game against the team that belted us off the park. He may have been a backup player but a pretty bloody handy one
Yeah not hard to get a high disposal efficiency when you don't win any disposals in a contest and do nothing with the ball except switch sideways or kick the ball long up the line.

Yes, that one. How many of those touches were contested?

Lienert is averaging half as many contested possessions this year as Riley Bonner. Half! Riley Bonner! If that doesn't put his play for the Saints into perspective, I don't know what will.
He's there for his long kicking and rebound which our backline is sorely missing. Won't even mention the disposal skill level of our backline.
I never thought he let us down when chosen, which is exactly what Timmy Ginever and Warren Tredrea have also said several times when discussing him pretty sure they would know a thing or two about a players ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The delisting of Lienert to recruit the plodder in Skinner has clearly been proven to have been a mistake. He was a stretch to delist in the first place, though at his age it made sense once we picked like for like with Skinner. But Skinner is a worse selection than Brett Eddy was and unless emergency strikes we really shouldn't see him again at AFL level.
Have only seen Skinner this year both in the AFL and SANFL and I am not that optimistic.

id still rather DOOOOG than lienert because at least he had height. but neither of them is making a difference to us ATM
If Lienert was still on our list and playing well enough to get a game, all that would actually do would be take a spot away from Jones or Bergman and hinder our development. And in the absolute 'best' case scenario where he plays so well that he actually helps us get an extra win or two, all that does is get us further away from sacking Hinkley. None of these results are in the best interests of the club.

There is nothing to be gained from us having more depth players in their late 20's on our list. I'm glad we don't have Lienert on our list, I wish we didn't have Mayes or Motlop on our list either. If we were being harsh you could say the same thing about McKenzie, if we were being absolutely ruthless you could even say the same thing about Robbie Gray. These types of players are poison to a team that needs to develop its youth, especially when that team's coach is in job saver mode.

If Lienert was still on our list and playing well enough to get a game, all that would actually do would be take a spot away from Jones or Bergman and hinder our development. And in the absolute 'best' case scenario where he plays so well that he actually helps us get an extra win or two, all that does is get us further away from sacking Hinkley. None of these results are in the best interests of the club.

There is nothing to be gained from us having more depth players in their late 20's on our list. I'm glad we don't have Lienert on our list, I wish we didn't have Mayes or Motlop on our list either. If we were being harsh you could say the same thing about McKenzie, if we were being absolutely ruthless you could even say the same thing about Robbie Gray. These types of players are poison to a team that needs to develop its youth, especially when that team's coach is in job saver mode.

dont forget superstar trent dumont. handy pickup that was

dont forget superstar trent dumont. handy pickup that was
I didn't mind Dumont at the time when I thought we might actually be good this year, but in hindsight yes. I wouldn't bat an eye if none of Mayes, Motlop, McKenzie, Dumont or Robbie were on our list next year (although on Robbie's case you'd let him make the call rather than have an absolute champion like him suffer the ignominy of a delisting).

I didn't mind Dumont at the time when I thought we might actually be good this year, but in hindsight yes. I wouldn't bat an eye if none of Mayes, Motlop, McKenzie, Dumont or Robbie were on our list next year (although on Robbie's case you'd let him make the call rather than have an absolute champion like him suffer the ignominy of a delisting).
Wouldnt right Dumont of yet. Guy played Thursday night, did full training Friday and then played the whole game Saturday. He was one of our better players on the day. Not the flashiest of players , but he knows how to get the footy and use it. Real honest hard old fashion footballer, perhaps we could use a bit more of that.

If you compare Jarrod Lienert to Sam Skinner, you are a moron who knows nothing about football. They play completely different roles. You may as well complain that we recruited Skinner over Boyd Woodcock.
Wtf they literally came in to play the same role…
The third tall defender, even though Lienert is more a true flanker, there is only 2cms between them..

Last edited:
Wtf they literally came in to play the same role…
The third tall defender, even though Lienert is more a true flanker, there is only 2cms between them..
If you think that, please refer back to the first sentence of the post you quoted for my response.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back