News Jarrod Lienert signs for North Melbourne VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

If you think that, please refer back to the first sentence of the post you quoted for my response.
no, you are 100% wrong, they are literally playing the same spot on the ground, instead of giving any facts you turn to a personal attack, which not only gives me a laugh, but is as week as piss..

no, you are 100% wrong, they are literally playing the same spot on the ground, instead of giving any facts you turn to a personal attack, which not only gives me a laugh, but is as week as piss..
You're just wrong. There's no simpler way to say it than that. Key defender and rebounding half back are not the same role.

Skinner is a key defender in theory. In practice he's a carbon rod who can't run, mark, spoil, hold his feet in a contest or do anything football related. You could pick any tall fit dude out of the crowd and they'd do a similar job.

Wtf they literally came in to play the same role…
The third tall defender, even though Lienert is more a true flanker, there is only 2cms between them..

I see Skinner being recruited in the hope he can play full back (clurey and mckenzie can play this role)

Where Lienert is the intercept player, flanker or third tall (Aliir and mckenzie can play this role)

Skinner is a key defender in theory. In practice he's a carbon rod who can't run, mark, spoil, hold his feet in a contest or do anything football related. You could pick any tall fit dude out of the crowd and they'd do a similar job.
Seriously the Skinner criticism has jumped the shark.

He looked very ordinary in his 1st game (many greats have) and slightly better on his 2nd before getting injured.

Hes no slower than Ben Rutten as just one example.

How about we wait a little before writing him off.

He looked very ordinary in his 1st game (many greats have) and slightly better on his 2nd before getting injured.

Meh.

People are allowed to relentlessly criticise McEntee and put a line through him based on a handful of games but Skinner gets a free pass because he's tall.

Not from me. He doesn't have what it takes.

Agree with this.

Looked absolutely treacle slow in his first game.
In the Showdown though, his lack of speed was not glaringly obvious, but he was unfairly hit with a couple of really poor umpiring calls and his tackling method called into question.

Meh.

People are allowed to relentlessly criticise McEntee and put a line through him based on a handful of games but Skinner gets a free pass because he's tall.

Not from me. He doesn't have what it takes.
Maybe so, but we couldn't replace him with Lienert any more than we could replace him with Ladhams or Woodcock.

You're just wrong. There's no simpler way to say it than that. Key defender and rebounding half back are not the same role.
I agree with that… more often than not lienert was used as a key defender… came in to replace clurey or McKenzie… as that third tall.. which is pretty much the same as skinner has done

dont forget superstar trent dumont. handy pickup that was

That’s got a whiff of Toumpas/Trengove about it. Superb player when fit, but his leg injuries have clearly blunted him.

If he can return to his form of prior years he’d have been an excellent addition for a contender. Still young enough to contribute to a rebuild, but yeah.

What a sad situation we find ourselves in.

When he fails to break into their 22 on a consistent basis and gets delisted within a couple of years, can this board finally admit that he was never actually hard done by at Port and he's just not that good?

3 games in a row. i actually think he has not been a bad pick up for the saints.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see Skinner being recruited in the hope he can play full back (clurey and mckenzie can play this role)

Where Lienert is the intercept player, flanker or third tall (Aliir and mckenzie can play this role)

They definitely play different roles. The question is which one would be more useful to our overall defensive effort. You don’t necessarily need three traditional big boy KPDs if your team defence is good enough.

If I had to choose between Skinner as a third banana KPD or just having two KPDs with Lienert as an intercepting rebounder I’d probably go with the Lienert option because he’s at least half decent at his role.

Comparing him to Ben Rutten its not the 2000 era anymore where you can have a literal truck as a fullback. The games dynamic has changed where the absolute best key fullbacks have insane closing speed and athleticism. Think Harris Andrews/Rance/May.

Unfortunately Skinner doesn’t possess this maybe due to his knees. When you get out sprinted by Ben McEvoy and Ned Reeves how do you expect the bloke to keep up with the Naughtons, Hipwoods, McKays of the world

I'm happy for Lienert he was only ever Ryan Burton/Riley Bonner/Lachie Jones type, and we already have a lot of those currently fit and playing in the team. If he was around he'd have been picked on Thursday and got manhandled by Jackson/McDonald/Gawn/Fritsch just like everyone else because he's not a key defender and we have no fitness this year.

They definitely play different roles. The question is which one would be more useful to our overall defensive effort. You don’t necessarily need three traditional big boy KPDs if your team defence is good enough.

If I had to choose between Skinner as a third banana KPD or just having two KPDs with Lienert as an intercepting rebounder I’d probably go with the Lienert option because he’s at least half decent at his role.

definitely hear you

In the absence of a better lock down KPD who has the size to take on the monsters like Hawkins, I can see why Skinner has been given an opportunity. He has a lot to learn but I feel his potential is reasonable subject to his speed.

Liernert was under rated at Port and question whether Burton, Jonas and Bonner (who all have reasonable size) offer more. Personally Jonas' age is working against him, whilst Bonner and Burton should be pushing to earn a spot on the wings. Liernert, a player regularly earning 20 possessions in defence clearly knows how to get the ball.

One contested possession for Lienert today. One.

The grass isn't always greener.

Blokes gone and playing decent footy for the saints. If was still on our list Ken wouldn't be using him properly anyway so your pissing into a strong breeze. He's not a bad footballer would of played games already for us this year if we kept him. 195cm athletic not a bad type to have on a list

How are contested possessions relevant for a half back flanker/third tall? Both Dougal and nwm had 1 contested possession as well.
Riley Bonner has been this board's poster boy for soft outside flankers for the last few years, he's averaging over 6 contested possessions a game. More than double Lienert.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back