Isaac Heeney vs Christian Petracca

Who is/will be the better player?

• Isaac Heeney

Votes: 177 53.2%
  • Christian Petracca

Votes: 156 46.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This. Petracca may never become the player many thought he would due to lack of footy smarts.

Agree he might never become the player we thought he would, but nothing wrong with his footy IQ. His problem is inconsistency throughout games - needs to drop 5-6kg. Is Heeney ahead now? Yes, comfortably. Will Heeney have the better career? At this stage the odds are in his favour.

Agree he might never become the player we thought he would, but nothing wrong with his footy IQ. His problem is inconsistency throughout games - needs to drop 5-6kg. Is Heeney ahead now? Yes, comfortably. Will Heeney have the better career? At this stage the odds are in his favour.
Just want to ask because obviously you have seen a lot more of him, but you're saying his inconsistency is due to not being fit enough?

The perception from oppo supporters is that his inconsistency is due to a lack of game sense.

Just want to ask because obviously you have seen a lot more of him, but you're saying his inconsistency is due to not being fit enough?

The perception from oppo supporters is that his inconsistency is due to a lack of game sense.

I have literally never seen an oppo supporter say that before you did and I waste a lot of time on this forum. Petracca needs to be fitter for more midfield time, that is his main problem atm. Regularly starts games well then fades due to a below average tank.

I have literally never seen an oppo supporter say that before you did and I waste a lot of time on this forum. Petracca needs to be fitter for more midfield time, that is his main problem atm. Regularly starts games well then fades due to a below average tank.
I'm not the only person on this thread to say that

Petracca may never become the player many thought he would due to lack of footy smarts.

That's what they used to say about martin. Amazing how things can change.

I think both with be stars, but I am all aboard the Heeney train. This kid should become a top 5/10 player in the AFL over the next two seasons.

Heeney hasn't put enough four quarter games together yet. Some great halves of footy, so for me that's were he needs to get to. Has the goal kicking yips this year too.

Have seen all of Heeney's games but not enough of Petracca to make a fair comparison

That basically is the same for Petracca but Heaney has still put out significantly more quality footy.

Feels like Heeney will always be the icing on the cake (boring one liner but it's true).
Petracca looks like he has the physical presence & desire to turn around a game if the chips are down and those types of footballers are incredibly rare. The lofty tag of being the no.1 pick already looks to be justified.
this is basically de goey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heeneys lack of development is an indictment on both Longmire, and potentially himself if he’s not fit enough to be a full time mid. Like Petracca he could be anything, but hasn’t made the leap

Heeneys lack of development is an indictment on both Longmire, and potentially himself if he’s not fit enough to be a full time mid. Like Petracca he could be anything, but hasn’t made the leap

I think Petracca has been better this year but that’s a harsh view on Heeney who was doing a pretty damn good job of playing CHF for one of the worst teams in the comp.

I think Petracca has been better this year but that’s a harsh view on Heeney who was doing a pretty damn good job of playing CHF for one of the worst teams in the comp.
It’s frustration as much as anything. He’s 6 years into his career. I’d have hoped he’d have transitioned into a full time mid by now but seems to have plateau’d at a 20 touches 1 goal a game level for last 4 years. He’s very good, just hoped for more. Think most of the blame lies with Longmire for playing him forward so much (mainly due to lack of other forward options)

Yeah not sure why people question his effectiveness tbh.

Around the 100 game mark we are going to find out if he is going to live up to potential or not

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
And here we are just shy of 100 games and he is living up to the potential

I should never have doubted him. Look how far he was ahead of Rayner at the same stage of his career and people are still very high on him.
the thing is the hype on him early meant that he was getting judged on the fact he wasn't in the Dangerfield/Martin class (and he still isn't yet) rather than judging him in comparison to other 40-60 game players.

Many are saying this is his break out year and it is but his last few years have been pretty good especially last year but that was lost in our teams s**t season. So the progression in his game had been gradual over the last 18 months

He missed all of 2015 with an ACL and then his stats were (I am aware stats don't tell the whole story)

2016 - 17.4 disposals & 0.8 goals a game
2017 - 18.8 disposals & 1.2 goals a game
2018 - 20.2 disposals & 0.8 goals a game
2019 - 18.7 disposals & 1 goal a game

Bear in mind he played 90% of that as a forward. if you compare his first 4 years to Dangerfield who also spent that time mainly as a forward you will see they are very similar trajectories. If anything Petraccas first 4 seasons could be slightly better. He had the same traits and issues as Danger early, was strong and could break games open but had no tank and struggled to win uncontested possessions and spread.

the thing is the hype on him early meant that he was getting judged on the fact he wasn't in the Dangerfield/Martin class (and he still isn't yet) rather than judging him in comparison to other 40-60 game players.

Many are saying this is his break out year and it is but his last few years have been pretty good especially last year but that was lost in our teams sh*t season. So the progression in his game had been gradual over the last 18 months

He missed all of 2015 with an ACL and then his stats were (I am aware stats don't tell the whole story)

2016 - 17.4 disposals & 0.8 goals a game
2017 - 18.8 disposals & 1.2 goals a game
2018 - 20.2 disposals & 0.8 goals a game
2019 - 18.7 disposals & 1 goal a game

Bear in mind he played 90% of that as a forward. if you compare his first 4 years to Dangerfield who also spent that time mainly as a forward you will see they are very similar trajectories. If anything Petraccas first 4 seasons could be slightly better. He had the same traits and issues as Danger early, was strong and could break games open but had no tank and struggled to win uncontested possessions and spread.

Yeah I was never in the Petracca isn’t good camp or wouldn’t become a very good player. I just thought his limitations could prevent him from transitioning to the midfield and becoming the do it all star he was hyped up to be.

Yeah I was never in the Petracca isn’t good camp or wouldn’t become a very good player. I just thought his limitations could prevent him from transitioning to the midfield and becoming the do it all star he was hyped up to be.
The thing that always gave me confidence was he had a similar trajectory in junior football.

I remember Darren Bewick who coached him in the TAC cup said he was a forward who had no tank to go into the midfield. He kicked 6 or 7 goals in a TAC game as a bottom age player on a player who went on to be drafted that year. The question mark on him was that he was too small to be a KPF but didn't have enough tank to be a midfielder. The next year he build up his tank and dominated as a mid in the TAC cup

So the thought was hopefully he could do the same at AFL level which it seems he has finally been able to do this year

petracca has had a fanastic 6 games this season, still not better than heeney imo

but yep im one eyed
As much as I'd like to agree, Petracca and Heeney were pretty comparable before this season. Heeney's highs were better but that wasn't the norm. Petracca exploding means that right now he wins. Hopefully when Heeney gets back he takes a leaf from his book.

Back