Jai Newcombe vs Chad Warner

Starting a team from scratch, which one do you pick?

• Jai Newcombe

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 81 60.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Because he is comfortably a better player. Has much more impact on the contest with his linebreaking ability.

Not sure why this poll is as close as it is. Warner should be leading by a fair bit more. If he were playing for a Vic team, he certainly would be.

Warner better in 2022.
Newcombe better in 2023.

Similar ages. Similar strengths.

Chad has started like a house on fire this year, and Duke played a stinker yesterday. Only worth visiting this again come the mid season byes at the earliest.

Edit: It was 16-1 in Warner's favour after the poll was first created. As last season evolved it became closer and closer and Newcombe lead for a while. Was all square on Grand Final day which I felt was a fitting full stop on the question at the time.

How do you think things are turning out so far this year?

It's Warner and not even close...

Newcombe is a pretty good player, but Warner is a game-breaker.

Newcombe's played two poor games. Season is a marathon, not a sprint. Let's see how it evolves.

Honestly I just hope this poll doesn’t turn out as toxic as the Cripps v Oliver poll. For me, I rated Newcombe more highly originally but after seeing Warner come out these first few rounds, he’s looking ominous with Heeney

I'm not sure this is the greatest question or comparison. Personally, I think Newcombe and Warner are different types of players. If Newcombe could be more consistent, this might be a contest. But for me, it's always been Chad Warner. A classier player, more consistent, also has a better ability to hit the scoreboard when playing from the centre. Newcombe is great on his day. But those days are too far apart in comparison to Warner. I would love Warner at Hawthorn.

I personally don't get the Newcombe hype at all. Looks like another Tom Mitchell in the making which is terrific whereas Warner has much more creativity to his game.

I personally don't get the Newcombe hype at all. Looks like another Tom Mitchell in the making which is terrific whereas Warner has much more creativity to his game.
That’s a laughable opinion, Tom Mitchell and Jai Newcombe aren’t comparable types, not even close.

Yeah, for all the banter, who you want and who you think the best player is depends entirely on what kind of player you want and what metrics you're looking for. Compare their stats and for most of them, they're weighted almost entirely to one player or the other because of the difference in their roles.

Let me guess, Newcombe has Judd-like qualities?
No.

Tom Mitchell is an incredible player, at his peak he was an absolute ball magnet, his running capacity was huge and his positioning was impressive. He use to run both ways super well which set him up to find more ball, by being at more contests. His attack on the ball was even more impressive, ultra clean, superb by hand and fed the ball out for fun. Whilst he had a lot of strengths his weak points were his kicking, his lack of speed, aerial ability, penetration by foot and other things.

Jai Newcombe on the other hand is more of your modern bull. He is ferocious at the ball and man with the ball, but he has speed and explosive power that Tom Mitchell never had and that’s because they’re completely different types. Look at Petracca, that’s the type of player Jai Newcombe is, type wise. Strong, bull and explosive with damaging capacity going forward, and good aerially. Jai hasn’t reach these heights and he might not, but that’s his “type” of player.

Yeah, for all the banter, who you want and who you think the best player is depends entirely on what kind of player you want and what metrics you're looking for. Compare their stats and for most of them, they're weighted almost entirely to one player or the other because of the difference in their roles.
Warner is electric, he’s got superb pace and breaks lines. His ball use can be hit or miss but he makes up with being so creative, and he finds the footy too. Love watching him play, but as you say, they’re not comparable types, but both are modern footballers, who will be good players.

Back