Is North Melbourne passing on Logan McDonald going to be the 2021 version of the Bulldogs passing on Buddy for Ryan Griffin

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Phillips will have an AFL career somewhere, if he's been replaced by better options at North - not the worst outcome for us.
Sydney gave away Stephens for a pick upgrade. Gee I bet looking at that draft they'd like their time over and use pick#5 differently.
All clubs get it wrong, I was on the McDonald bus fwiw. I though don't think it's the end of the world us not getting him.

But I'd rather if he left we managed a trade not a pick, Wil has the rest of the season to impress AFL clubs. Ours of course included.

I think Phillips will have an AFL career somewhere, if he's been replaced by better options at North - not the worst outcome for us.
Sydney gave away Stephens for a pick upgrade. Gee I bet looking at that draft they'd like their time over and use pick#5 differently.
All clubs get it wrong, I was on the McDonald bus fwiw. I though don't think it's the end of the world us not getting him.

But I'd rather if he left we managed a trade not a pick, Wil has the rest of the season to impress AFL clubs. Ours of course included.

Yes, in hindsight a Serong/Gulden duo would be pretty damn hard to stop.

Phillips had 8 touches to 3/4 time and was subbed off on their way to a 10 goal loss.

Could’ve been a great partner to Errol Gulden :(

I genuinely don't understand what is happening with Phillips as his U18 numbers were really good and for a midfielder that almost always translates to a strong AFL career. It is rare to have a bust midfielder taken in the top 5 of the draft these days and I don't understand why Phillips could find the ball so easily as a junior and it not translate to finding the ball in the AFL.

I genuinely don't understand what is happening with Phillips as his U18 numbers were really good and for a midfielder that almost always translates to a strong AFL career. It is rare to have a bust midfielder taken in the top 5 of the draft these days and I don't understand why Phillips could find the ball so easily as a junior and it not translate to finding the ball in the AFL.

Combination of;

1) Covid draft year followed by glandular fever massively derailed his development in his formative AFL years
2) His size limits his efficacy. He needs to be a cog in a midfield that contains a lot of big bodies. North's doesnt, and it leaves Will exposed.

He's a great kid and a good footballer but unfortunately he's experienced setbacks and ended up in a midfield that doesn't suit his strengths at all.

Same thing happened to Paddy Dow. Skills that were unbelievable against kids their age just haven’t translated against men.

Still so much development to go at 18 years old. The draft would be much more accurate if they picked at 21.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same thing happened to Paddy Dow. Skills that were unbelievable against kids their age just haven’t translated against men.

Still so much development to go at 18 years old. The draft would be much more accurate if they picked at 21.

True, but I strongly believe 18 is the right age as there are so many kids 21 or under right now who very much deserve to be in the AFL. Part of what makes a recruiter talented is predicting where 18 year olds will be in a few years time.

Really goes to show how much of an impact the team you are drafted to will have on your career development, especially within the first 5 years. Logan is really starting to look the goods this season after a slow start to his career, but there's every chance he would've been a complete bust at North with their dysfunctional midfield/forwardline (granted, that hasn't stopped Larkey at all). Very likely that Phillips would've been a solid enough pick if taken by a lot of other teams with bigger midfielders that may have suited his strengths a bit more and allowed him to develop in his own right. Glandular fever can also be quite debilitating, and this occurred at an inopportune time for Will. Still think he can carve out a career, just don't think it'll be at North.

And being fed by JHF and Harley Reid.

North really are their own worst enemies

Man, when you put it like that... heck me

Really goes to show how much of an impact the team you are drafted to will have on your career development, especially within the first 5 years. Logan is really starting to look the goods this season after a slow start to his career, but there's every chance he would've been a complete bust at North with their dysfunctional midfield/forwardline (granted, that hasn't stopped Larkey at all). Very likely that Phillips would've been a solid enough pick if taken by a lot of other teams with bigger midfielders that may have suited his strengths a bit more and allowed him to develop in his own right. Glandular fever can also be quite debilitating, and this occurred at an inopportune time for Will. Still think he can carve out a career, just don't think it'll be at North.

Man, when you put it like that... * me

I will always say that I thought Luke Tapscott had real potential, and had he been drafted to another club he would have been a good player.

Combination of;

1) Covid draft year followed by glandular fever massively derailed his development in his formative AFL years
2) His size limits his efficacy. He needs to be a cog in a midfield that contains a lot of big bodies. North's doesnt, and it leaves Will exposed.

He's a great kid and a good footballer but unfortunately he's experienced setbacks and ended up in a midfield that doesn't suit his strengths at all.
Admittedly I'm an outsider and don't watch North every week, but it seems to me like Phillips is a "pure mid" who can't really play anywhere else......in a team full of other "pure mids" who can't play anywhere else.

Like if LDU or Powell or someone could be shuffled around to be the goalsneak forward or the linkman HFF or the gun kick off half-back, you could easily slot Phillips in somewhere. But it seems he gets shunted out not so much because he's bad, but because you have too many blokes playing one position who can't do much else.

I will always say that I thought Luke Tapscott had real potential, and had he been drafted to another club he would have been a good player.
Sport all over the world is littered with similar stories on either side.

Tom Brady was drafted into a situation that was literally perfect for his career to pan out, ditto Patrick Mahomes. If these players were drafted into failing franchises, there is no guarantee that they would turn out as well as they did. In Brady's situation, he literally turned into the GOAT as a 6th round draft choice.

Short answer: no.
Longer answer: Buddy > McDonald.

But: teams at the bottom often make puzzling decisions. With so many mids coming through and a hole at CHF, it's puzzling that North opted for another midfielder over a highly ranked key.

Short answer: no.
Longer answer: Buddy > McDonald.

But: teams at the bottom often make puzzling decisions. With so many mids coming through and a hole at CHF, it's puzzling that North opted for another midfielder over a highly ranked key.

This is not necessarily true.

I agree it was a mistake - I rate Logan and expect Wil to be off North's list at the end of this season - but which mids are you talking about specifically?

LDU was there. Simpkin was there. Thomas was there. Who else?

The influx of mids you're referencing came in the years following the Phillips draft.

I think McDonald is overrated by those who like to give North Melbourne s**t for overlooking him.

I also think they’re right in that he was an obviously better selection then but especially now. If Phillips had worked out and been a star then the conversation unfolds differently but the facts are that North took a risk and it failed.

This is not necessarily true.

I agree it was a mistake - I rate Logan and expect Wil to be off North's list at the end of this season - but which mids are you talking about specifically?

LDU was there. Simpkin was there. Thomas was there. Who else?

The influx of mids you're referencing came in the years following the Phillips draft.
It would have been fine to take Phillips if he was any good. The inexplicable mistake was then taking three more small midfielders with our next three picks in that draft, Powell, Lazzaro, Spicer. This made no sense at all and skewed our list profile.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back