Is North Melbourne passing on Logan McDonald going to be the 2021 version of the Bulldogs passing on Buddy for Ryan Griffin

Remove this Banner Ad

Swans would want to lock him away quickly as a cashed up Eagles (with the likely retirements of Darling and Kennedy in the next 2 years) and Freo will try throw the kitchen sink at Logan.

Darling isn't even 29 yet. I suspect he has another 3 or 4 years left in him. Also West Coast have Oscar Allen coming through who looks very promising.

I am more worried about Fremantle to be honest. They are desperate for a key forward and might be willing to offer McDonald stupid money to request a trade to them.

Buddy and Riewoldt in the same forward line! Two best forwards of their generation. Would have been amazing.

That's my point though, likely we dont even pick jack 2 years later if we had buddy.

We definately don't end up with Dusty either.

Head to head it was a terrible pick but in hindsight not that bad

Logan McDonald has started the year on fire. And has shown he has all the attributes to be a superstar key forward in this league. Did North Melbourne make the biggest draft blunder since Richmond passing on Buddy in 2004?

They are desperate for Key Forward talent and elected to draft a midfielder instead of best player available at a position of need.

Discuss...
North need 2 of everything.

North need 2 of everything.
No, I think the general consensus is that we have a really good young midfield group (Powell, Lazzaro, Simpkin, LDU, Stephenson + 2021 first) coming through with some serviceable defenders like McKay, Young and Bonar.

The reason why this decision is so baffling is that we decided to improve on a existing strength instead of foucsing on a need and McDonald was projected to be higher by everyone.

Btw, if you don't know the reason why (I don't support it but whatever) we picked Phillips over McDonald is that Comben is rated very highly internally but has been injured many times since he was 15 and he turns 20 this year in August.

I think the fear of the go home factor (to WA) in 2 years time, is probably what deterred North the most from picking him up.

Also if we are going to bag North for it, why not Crows as well ?

North (especially at the moment) have always been an easy target for knockers/hecklers.

Swans would want to lock him away quickly as a cashed up Eagles (with the likely retirements of Darling and Kennedy in the next 2 years) and Freo will try throw the kitchen sink at Logan.

Of course with the Bloods and their culture and promosing young talent, I think he will stay at the Swans, but as we have seen with the Giants, Suns and Crows in the last 5 years, there is now a flight-risk/go home factor with high/top draft picks.

If I was North, I would have taken the risk and taken him, but can understand the rationale why they didn't.

Probably because JUH and Thilthorpe were both very highly rated over the last couple of years and both have had impressive preseason games, suggesting they do look the goods.

That's convenient.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just answering why Adelaide's choice of JUH and Thilthorpe aren't being questioned, both have looked good.

They have had 5 and 4 goal pre season games. Maybe if they have looked no good people would include them in this waaay too early discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn took Mitch Thorpe over Joel Selwood.
Injuries...

We never saw what he could do.

But I knew that was a costly blunder from the moment I read their draft profiles and heard we were worried about Selwood's supposed dodgy ankle or knee.
I rolled my eyes and thought, "Here we go... Betcha this Selwood kid goes on to play 250 games and Thorp will be a spud"

I think the fear of the go home factor (to WA) in 2 years time, is probably what deterred North the most from picking him up.
Probably justified.

I always watch the WA draftees and there are certain clubs I prefer pick those players, due to the relative ease of shaking them loose later.

I think the Swans have become pretty good at selling Sydney and the club.

I assume WC and Freo will still come knocking, though. Freo urgently, WC after Darling finishes.

How would Mcdonald have gone if he played for North against Gold Coast last night?

I suspect with our diabolical ball movement he’d have had a pretty tough night at the office. Phillips probably ends up with 20+ for Sydney yesterday and the thread is titled “Is North Melbourne passing on Will Phillips going to be the biggest draft blunder since Richmond passing on Buddy Franklin in 2004?”

Blicavs misses this smother, Swans draw the game, move above Hawks and North still don’t pick McDonald, but Hawks do. And Hawks go on to win in 2023, 24, 26 & 28

also, worth pointing out, the difference between the Demons and the Swans in one clip.

See the first 10 seconds, despite the fact the draw will only lead to a worse draft pick, Longmire is still at the boundary line, yelling instructions, doing everything he can to get the points.

culcha.

Last edited:
also, worth pointing out, the difference between the Demons and the Seans in one clip.

See the first 10 seconds, despite the fact the draw will only lead to a worse draft pick, Longmire is still at the boundary line, yelling instructions, doing everything he can to get the points.

culcha.
Over a decade and about 4 coaches and 4 regimes ago Melbourne decided to tank to get the priority pick they deserves after being rubbish for 3 years and losing the Kreuzer cup to Carlton who tanked harder. Sydney worked out they can just start an academy and get a whole bunch of top 10 picks that way. That's the Swans culture, make sure you've got legal leg ups. 2-0 and the President is still asking for housing allowances.

Over a decade and about 4 coaches and 4 regimes ago Melbourne decided to tank to get the priority pick they deserves after being rubbish for 3 years and losing the Kreuzer cup to Carlton who tanked harder. Sydney worked out they can just start an academy and get a whole bunch of top 10 picks that way. That's the Swans culture, make sure you've got legal leg ups. 2-0 and the President is still asking for housing allowances.

McDonald isn’t academy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back