Is North Melbourne passing on Logan McDonald going to be the 2021 version of the Bulldogs passing on Buddy for Ryan Griffin

Remove this Banner Ad

Imo first round picks you take best available. Maybe if it’s borderline you can lean towards a positional pick. Phillips will be a very good player long term but key forwards with the talent McDonald has comes around only occasionally. Kangaroos will rue this decision for years to come. Especially after Phillips asks for a trade back to Melbourne.

When it comes to all-time draft blunders, Melbourne don't get the credit they deserve for the 2009 catastrophe.

1. Melbourne: Tom Scully... a mediocre mercenary who took the big coin on offer from the Giants after just 2 years at Dees-land
2. Melbourne: Jack Trengove... played 86 games, but never reached his full potential due to a nagging foot injury
3. Richmond: Dustin Martin... one of the greatest players of the modern era who has led the Tigers to 3 flags

Scully and Trengove were better than timid Tambling... but fancy having 2 chances to pick Dusty and not taking them?
Dusty would be out of the league if he want to the Demons at that period of time.

Their development was shocking back then.

Hard to say at this early stage. I heard Buddy's draft interview didn't go very well with Richmond.

I find it ironic that a Footscray supporter started this thread being that the Doggies also passed on Buddy. Obviously Griffin turned out to be a much better player than Tambling.

You don't think Melbourne passing twice on Dustin Martin isn't up there with the biggest blunder of all?

We all pass on players to our regret, & its only a matter of time before the peanut gallery try to use it.

McDonald wouldn't have got a kick in our forward line this year. If you are going to go the early crow atleast wait a couple of weeks till Phillips debuts you peanuts

A couple of years back Peter Moore suggested Darcy had no future up forward with the Pies for exactly the same reason, the delivery is the problem.

We all pass on players to our regret, & its only a matter of time before the peanut gallery try to use it.

But lets just keep going back to the same well.

Hey did you know in 1988 Richmond drafted Anthony Banik with pick 1? What a blunder.

Peanut gallery indeed.

But lets just keep going back to the same well.

Hey did you know in 1988 Richmond drafted Anthony Banik with pick 1? What a blunder.

Peanut gallery indeed.

I know the Eagles overlooked Daniel Kerr in the early 2000s for a bloke who ididnt quite make it - we all pay pick money to improve the understanding of under age footballers.
The peanut gallery is full of those looking back with a sense of wisdom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not sure it's top 5.

1) Tambling over Buddy
2) Scully/Trengove over Dusty
3) McCartin over Petracca
4) Ariel Steinberg over Luke Parker
5) Dow at 3 not looking pretty either.

Not even the worse of 2020.
Bruhn over any other player who might hang around for more than 2 years.

I think the fear of the go home factor (to WA) in 2 years time, is probably what deterred North the most from picking him up.

Also if we are going to bag North for it, why not Crows as well ?

North (especially at the moment) have always been an easy target for knockers/hecklers.

Swans would want to lock him away quickly as a cashed up Eagles (with the likely retirements of Darling and Kennedy in the next 2 years) and Freo will try throw the kitchen sink at Logan.

Of course with the Bloods and their culture and promosing young talent, I think he will stay at the Swans, but as we have seen with the Giants, Suns and Crows in the last 5 years, there is now a flight-risk/go home factor with high/top draft picks.

If I was North, I would have taken the risk and taken him, but can understand the rationale why they didn't.

Logan McDonald has started the year on fire. And has shown he has all the attributes to be a superstar key forward in this league. Did North Melbourne make the biggest draft blunder since Richmond passing on Buddy in 2004?

They are desperate for Key Forward talent and elected to draft a midfielder instead of best player available at a position of need.

Discuss...
Dude what's up with you and your obsession with us, you're juding blokes who have played 50 games or less

Before you say otherwise, yes, I do think we should've drafted McDonald over Phillips.

Last edited:
100% if Martin didn't meet Cotchin & Hardwick, I doubt he'd be playing AFL and we would've missed one of the great careers.
Jack Watts and Dusty having benders together would have been one hell of a combo though.

North are screaming out for good quality inside midfielders. They do need good forwards but this desperately fills a bigger need. So, no.

LDU, Scott, Anderson, Thomas, Simpkin, Dumont, Stephenson, Zuuhaar is more than enough variation, they just have to bide their time on a few. Add in Powell who is very similar to WP and there is a stack of midfield talent in the upcoming draft and not a lot of KP talent. From a list balance perspective it was a massive mistake. Question is whether or not they thought they could hold onto him long term.

The Eagles repeatedly passing on Kelly is a fairly serious blunder given what we ended up paying to get him.

Considering we took Oscar Allen at 21 ahead of Kelly when he was in the frame to be drafted, it’s not exactly a howler.

Going any earlier than 2017 is pointless, anybody could have drafted him but he wasn’t a genuine chance of being taken.

Unpopular opinion but in hindsight Tambling over Buddy wasn't that bad

If we got Buddy we would have been middle of the road for a few years maybe made some finals earlier and lost some of the better draft picks we got, then Buddy leaves for Sydney anyway without winning anything.

Picking Tambling we go on to be the Richmond we are now

Unpopular opinion but in hindsight Tambling over Buddy wasn't that bad

If we got Buddy we would have been middle of the road for a few years maybe made some finals earlier and lost some of the better draft picks we got, then Buddy leaves for Sydney anyway without winning anything.

Picking Tambling we go on to be the Richmond we are now
Buddy and Riewoldt in the same forward line! Two best forwards of their generation. Would have been amazing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back