Competitions Health and fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

I also have regrets not sticking with footy this year.

Pre-season I didn’t train well which led me to just quit because I thought there’s no way I’m fit enough to be in the team.

I guess I’ll go back to footy next season wether that would be for a local team or having to trial again for vflw.

I’ll be super fit for next season too which I’m excited about.

Soccer holds a special place in my heart but I think it was just an impulse decision because I am so hard on myself.

As someone who took 11 years off and missed my prime years in the sport I love, for similar reasons, I'm glad you've come to this realisation early. Try and get as much off season training in as you can and have fun!

I reckon the World Cup got in your head.
You are right ferbs + my bf liking soccer I thought I could get back into it.

Lucky I am still young.

I will still play this season out.

8 weeks until UTA100.

Ran close to 1500m elevation over 20km today.

(Actual race has three times that elevation, but stretched out to five times that length.)

It was pretty hard, though not totally exhausting. I ran up the steepest part of the escarpment near my house more times than anyone else has ever done on Strava (12 times from base to pinnacle), for which I'm low-key pretty proud.

It wasn't fast by any stretch of the imagination: around 3 hours.

But I just wanted to concentrate on sustainable running over serious elevation and tricky terrain, and getting the hydration and nutrition right.

If the stars align, I think I might try for a "short" ultra-mara through the royal national park on Sunday.

Feel like this whole training cycle has taught me a lot about managing fatigue and energy.

Actually looking forward to seeing how this improves my next road mara performance.

ACHILLES SORENESS HELP

I DONT WANNA BE CURSED

Calf raises, both seated and standing (close to a wall to lean against, moving further out from the wall with each set). Don’t stretch it. It’s all about strength building. Good luck!

8 weeks until UTA100.

Ran close to 1500m elevation over 20km today.

(Actual race has three times that elevation, but stretched out to five times that length.)

It was pretty hard, though not totally exhausting. I ran up the steepest part of the escarpment near my house more times than anyone else has ever done on Strava (12 times from base to pinnacle), for which I'm low-key pretty proud.

It wasn't fast by any stretch of the imagination: around 3 hours.

But I just wanted to concentrate on sustainable running over serious elevation and tricky terrain, and getting the hydration and nutrition right.

If the stars align, I think I might try for a "short" ultra-mara through the royal national park on Sunday.

Feel like this whole training cycle has taught me a lot about managing fatigue and energy.

Actually looking forward to seeing how this improves my next road mara performance.
Pulled up stumps at 32km. That'll teach me to shoot my mouth off in the health and fitness thread!

Calf raises, both seated and standing (close to a wall to lean against, moving further out from the wall with each set). Don’t stretch it. It’s all about strength building. Good luck!
Thanks, I felt it stretch on Thursday and Friday I had my long run and it started to get sore around 5-6kms.

I had round 1 today and I got absolutely 0 game time 🙄 I’m so pissed but we lost 3-1 so meh. I feel like quitting so bad and go to the VAFA or something but I guess I just have to stick it out for this season. (Soccer fyi)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How should I run my long runs? I’ve signed up to the run Melb half mara and I’ve been running my long runs around my goal pace but should I be running them in Z2?

How should I run my long runs? I’ve signed up to the run Melb half mara and I’ve been running my long runs around my goal pace but should I be running them in Z2?
When building for something like a half or full marathon, I quite like doing the first part of my long run fairly easy, so maybe Z2, then doing the last few ks at goal race pace.

I think continually doing long runs all at goal pace will beat your body up too much. Doing the last few ks at goal pace, gets you used to running that pace on tired legs, with out totally smashing your legs.

Depending on the distance of your long run, maybe something like a 75/25 split, so if you were running 16kms, 12 easy, then 4 at goal pace.

Finger issue rediagnosed as a proper collateral ligament tear on the radial side. Similar timeline and treatment to the tendon tear, but nice to get some proper diagnosis.

Have been replacing my supplementary run with bike rides recently, I'm slightly less fitter than I would have otherwise been but am finding myself fresher and more explosive at training and in matches.

Old man tings

who here has successfully rehabbed disc issues in their lower back?

5 years I’ve been dealing with the aches and pains but over the last 6 months I’ve really dedicated myself to stretching and strengthing my lower back/hips and core, but I seem to go through periods where I seem to make progress but then it goes backwards again. I’ve lost 7kg and I’m as strong as I was when I was 23 (34 now), but i just can’t seem to break the aches, stiffness and overall inflammation in my back.

Seems like I just can’t undo the 6-8hrs of desktime per day even though my ergonomics are all good and even though I’m stretching/training 2hrs a day.

I just want to be comfortable chasing my boys around and kicking the footy in the back yard! Not too much to ask for a 34 year old.

who here has successfully rehabbed disc issues in their lower back?

5 years I’ve been dealing with the aches and pains but over the last 6 months I’ve really dedicated myself to stretching and strengthing my lower back/hips and core, but I seem to go through periods where I seem to make progress but then it goes backwards again. I’ve lost 7kg and I’m as strong as I was when I was 23 (34 now), but i just can’t seem to break the aches, stiffness and overall inflammation in my back.

Seems like I just can’t undo the 6-8hrs of desktime per day even though my ergonomics are all good and even though I’m stretching/training 2hrs a day.

I just want to be comfortable chasing my boys around and kicking the footy in the back yard! Not too much to ask for a 34 year old.
Standing desk, screen at eye level, lots of glute, ham, lower back and core work with a good physio and it doesn't bother me on the daily.

Still get the occasional tweak which sets me back for 2-4 weeks.

Standing desk, screen at eye level, lots of glute, ham, lower back and core work with a good physio and it doesn't bother me on the daily.

Still get the occasional tweak which sets me back for 2-4 weeks.

Do all of that mate and have a good osteo, but naturally my body just reverts back to that stiff status regardless of the work I put in in the gym.

For example, If you watched me do stiff legged deadlifts you’d think my hamstring mobility and strength was up to scratch, but within a few hours of leaving the gym they are as tight as. I’ll feel loose try to go for a run, do 1-2km of light stuff on the footy oval and my glutes/lower back lock up and go into partial spasm, not painful, but they get so tight it’s impossible to run with any sort of efficiency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back