Competitions Health and fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

Take all of this with a grain of salt, but 2km and 3km are what are generally used to assess fitness in footy players.

Normally in the off season it's 1-2 interval type sessions per week (Mona fartlek for example), 2 longer runs (usually longer and slower than a 5km).

I love 5km so I target that but it's to my detriment for footy.

I'd be tempted to go

• 1 X fartlek session per week
• 1 X sprint session, it's important to train for speed
• 1-2 long easy runs per week

They're both improving rapidly and that's as good a sign as you need that the work is paying off.
Really appreciate that mate.

I'm a teacher so holidays on the horizon, hoping to stick to a routine.

Went for a '2km time trial' after the draft inspired us on Wednesday. 14yo punched out 8:56min so his new added goal is to shred that.

My goal is to shred my time from existence hahaha :'(

How the heck is the 2024 Melbourne marathon sold out already?

What an annoying fitness year in review.

The past 8 weeks especially so. I've been dealing with shoulder impingement ever since my weird plane subluxation. Started to get through that but it has severely limited any gym work I can do.

But after coming back really strongly from the knee reco, I made the mistake about 3-4 weeks ago running on concrete. Couldn't straighten my leg the next day and found out I had a fat pad impingement in the knee which is only just starting to settle down now after 4 weeks of icing, anti inflams, stretching and rehab exercises. Likely cause is damage to the fat pad during one of my surgeries, aggravated by the impact on the hard surface.

My fitness and strength has gone down the tube now. When I do get back to running it'll need to be on a soft surface which means I'll need to do less of it - there seems to be a cricket match or footy training on at local ovals every hour of every day around here. Given work is ****ed and I can't get out for a run during the day, I'll pretty much be running at footy training and that's it.

Once the shoulder is up to it I'm going to get a boxing setup to at least retain some cardio fitness.

What an annoying fitness year in review.

The past 8 weeks especially so. I've been dealing with shoulder impingement ever since my weird plane subluxation. Started to get through that but it has severely limited any gym work I can do.

But after coming back really strongly from the knee reco, I made the mistake about 3-4 weeks ago running on concrete. Couldn't straighten my leg the next day and found out I had a fat pad impingement in the knee which is only just starting to settle down now after 4 weeks of icing, anti inflams, stretching and rehab exercises. Likely cause is damage to the fat pad during one of my surgeries, aggravated by the impact on the hard surface.

My fitness and strength has gone down the tube now. When I do get back to running it'll need to be on a soft surface which means I'll need to do less of it - there seems to be a cricket match or footy training on at local ovals every hour of every day around here. Given work is ****ed and I can't get out for a run during the day, I'll pretty much be running at footy training and that's it.

Once the shoulder is up to it I'm going to get a boxing setup to at least retain some cardio fitness.
Would you consider swimming to keep up the cardio?

I used to hate swimming laps, I found it boring and repetitive.

But I think it was parenthood and the constant associated sense of vigilance
that comes from preventing toddlers killing themselves that made me appreciate the meditative dimension to it.

If I couldn’t run, I think I’d try that.

Would you consider swimming to keep up the cardio?

I used to hate swimming laps, I found it boring and repetitive.

But I think it was parenthood and the constant associated sense of vigilance
that comes from preventing toddlers killing themselves that made me appreciate the meditative dimension to it.

If I couldn’t run, I think I’d try that.

All the kicking is just as bad for the fat pad apparently. I'm not a great swimmer either 😂

Had my first soccer match in about 4 years lol

heck wearing black boots on synthetic should actually be illegal

We played 3 x 30 min thirds

Only trialist to start in the starting 11 then got subbed off to let the other trialist on in the last third

But had to be subbed on again because someone wanted to come off.

At that point I literally couldn’t run anymore.

Not sure if this is the correct place for this, but couldn’t find any other more appropriate board on here for it, so here goes..
I’ve been running and cycling almost 8500 kilometres this year (roughly the equivalent distance by road from Townsville to Broome via Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth) to raise money for a school for underprivileged kids here in Singapore.

Screen Shot 2023-12-17 at 7.07.01 PM.png

The school need funds to help keep them open, and the kids off the streets, away from crime, or out from home with abusive parents and siblings (there have been some really horrific situations that make you question why elder family members would do what they do to their infant family members, truly heartbreaking).
So if you’d like to help these kids, then this is the link to donate. No amount is too small, and every dollar donated goes to the school. Thank you to the BF NMFC board posters who support this worthy cause!
This Christmas, help give the lifelong gift of education for a Child At Street 11 | Child At Street 11 (Powered by Donorbox)

If you think footy running is bad look at my soccer one 😭 I legit have not been close to running anything close to 4min per k
IMG_1503.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No specific plan for me mate, have never used one. Standard marathon training but with longer long runs and overall more time on feet during the week. Oh and more vert, which generally means more trail running and finding some big juicy hills.
You need to get the legs ready for slow steady climbing. Esp UTA with all the f……n steps 🤦‍♂️.

Run when you can but walk when you have to on race day. A lot of it is just not runnable as it’s too steep or technical. Use the walk/hike time to recover a bit.

Get used to the pack on your back too, so try carrying loads every now and then and esp using the pack you intend on using in the race.

Good luck. It’s an adventure!

Now the silly season is basically over, time to get some training plans in place.

Q. for those of you who have done the UTA100 before...

Do I need to pay for a customised plan, or does something free and prefab suffice?

eg.

Jonnoo do you remember what plan you went with?
I did a few weeks of a Squadrun plan for UTA, didn't follow it super close, just a bit of a guide.

I don't think a specific plan is a necessity, like Jonno said, get the hills in and time on feet!

I've been trying to transition from road running since Melb Mara to get ready for trails for Two Bays 56km in a couple of weeks and then Overland 80km at the start of Feb.

Even being in reasonable road running shape, the trail hills are pretty humbling!

BJJ, so maybe I should have used to word "cuddle" instead of fight haha

I wanna get down to <70kg so need to lose ~4kg
My dad now competes in BJJ too.

He’s got another comp in feb

Remove this Banner Ad

Back