Competitions Health and fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

who here has successfully rehabbed disc issues in their lower back?

5 years I’ve been dealing with the aches and pains but over the last 6 months I’ve really dedicated myself to stretching and strengthing my lower back/hips and core, but I seem to go through periods where I seem to make progress but then it goes backwards again. I’ve lost 7kg and I’m as strong as I was when I was 23 (34 now), but i just can’t seem to break the aches, stiffness and overall inflammation in my back.

Seems like I just can’t undo the 6-8hrs of desktime per day even though my ergonomics are all good and even though I’m stretching/training 2hrs a day.

I just want to be comfortable chasing my boys around and kicking the footy in the back yard! Not too much to ask for a 34 year old.
I have the same issues with my upper back and neck and what worked for me best was reformer pilates and swimming - not sure if that translates well for lower back.

Since becoming a parent of a little one, finding the time to fit in has been very challenging, so I’m currently doing resistance bands at home which has worked nearly as well and is much less of a time commitment.

body just reverts back to that stiff status

Had some back stiffness last year for first time. Was staying in a hotel with internet tv. When I turned on tv all these YouTube vdos came on. The best one, for me, was this. Took a few days.

Don't try, don't know.

I have the same issues with my upper back and neck and what worked for me best was reformer pilates and swimming - not sure if that translates well for lower back.

Since becoming a parent of a little one, finding the time to fit in has been very challenging, so I’m currently doing resistance bands at home which has worked nearly as well and is much less of a time commitment.
Reformer Pilates SLAY

UGH I AM OVER THIS YEAR.

Tuesday coach makes us do strength before training and he makes us do assisted pistol squats.

I haven’t done any single leg work so I do the depth I’m comfortable with. But coach sees this and makes me go ass to grass.

Strength is over and we go do a half lap and the first step I take my whole quad feels like it’s cramped up.

It feels like a massive corkie and I waddle around lol.

Saw the team Physio who said I can’t play lolllll looking like a strain

My coach is a pt too

UGH I AM OVER THIS YEAR.

Tuesday coach makes us do strength before training and he makes us do assisted pistol squats.

I haven’t done any single leg work so I do the depth I’m comfortable with. But coach sees this and makes me go ass to grass.

Strength is over and we go do a half lap and the first step I take my whole quad feels like it’s cramped up.

It feels like a massive corkie and I waddle around lol.

Saw the team Physio who said I can’t play lolllll looking like a strain

My coach is a pt too

Unfortunately you've just got to persevere (and have the physio tell the coach they're wrong).

Strength before training is also weird

Unfortunately you've just got to persevere (and have the physio tell the coach they're wrong).

Strength before training is also weird
Yeah lol they had a discussion and the Physio’s like it’s too acute and inflamed to start stretching and it would make it worse.

And when I told my coach what happened he had the face that he knew what he done LOL.

Idk we do like bodyweight exercises on the pitch before we train lol

Endurance runners - what do you do about being hungry all the god-damn time?

For the past couple months, I just repeatedly go for massive bowls of rice noodle dishes in the city when I'm working there because its about the only thing that fills me up these days.

And then when I come home, I end up raiding all my kids snacks.

There has to be a better energy source. Surely!

i neeeeed to go see a Physio but idk how to take a day off work lol.

My quad was getting better til I started bending, squatting and lifting stuff at work. Now it’s killing me lol. I’ve already missed 2 games (Friday & Sunday)

I’ve never had a soft tissue injury like this

Almost gave up my reserves footy career last year after thinking about doing something I was actually good at on Satdys. Glad I stuck fat because the club looks to have turned a corner. Played in the biggest win I've ever been in last week. Watched the seniors dominate. I've had a lot of fun training this preseason and really enjoying the connections I've formed at the club.

Just finished training in the rain and cold and feel great, after having a shitty day. Take on our biggest rivals on Saturday and hoping for two more wins in both grades. I'm pumped.

Not sure what the message is here. I guess think twice before you quit something because you might just be about to find out why you started doing it.

Just did ran an approximation for the last 43km of the UTA (more than 2k elevation), with a detour up the Giant Steps thrown in for “fun”.

Made a few wrong turns in the fog, and the heavy rain a couple weeks ago has caused pretty big landslides across some of the ascents/descents. Slowed me down heaps trying to traverse steep muddy banks where the steps have washed away.

They've already changed the course because of it once, but it’ll be interesting to see what state it’s in on race day, about a month from now.

The brutality of this endeavour is starting to dawn on me.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back