Hawthorn Offseason 2013 - Ruckman Wanted, Wait No Longer

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL free agency: how it works

It's up to the player. But I doubt Buddy would then refuse to be traded to Sydney given that he has agreed to it in the first place (by deciding Sydney's offer is the best one of his choice)

yes I know this but all I was saying is the club cant try to wrangle a deal( with the threat of matching the deal so you better trade with us). The player has to say i'm off bad luck.

yes I know this but all I was saying is the club cant try to wrangle a deal( with the threat of matching the deal so you better trade with us). The player has to say i'm off bad luck.

I get what you mean. It's definitely a risk on Hawthorn's part, because if a trade isn't worked out then they are stuck paying Buddy more than they deem he is worth. It's not a threat (trade with us or we'll match it) that can be made without potential ramifications.

Club has come out and said that we won't be matching the offer Dasher. But if it had to happen via a trade surely we wouldn't accept their scraps ie. Mumford and it would be one of the biggest trades ever to take place involving the most amount of clubs, players and draft picks.

You going on Saturday night Dasher?

Club has come out and said that we won't be matching the offer Dasher. But if it had to happen via a trade surely we wouldn't accept their scraps ie. Mumford and it would be one of the biggest trades ever to take place involving the most amount of clubs, players and draft picks.

You going on Saturday night Dasher?
If we aren't matching it, how can we work out a trade?

Well being in Brisbane I haven't seen any games this year so I'm happy to take your word on it. That said the club gave Sewell a 3 year deal and Halahan a 1 year deal last year so that means a bit. My question is as I mentioned, take Sewell out of the side, is Halahan our next best option? I wouldn't have thought so but that's just my opinion.

If you haven't seen Hallahan its impossible to rate his performances.

I've seen him at least 15 times this year and he's the real deal.

I would like to see us sign Hallahan and work him into the side next year as Sewell starts to drop off

I would also like to see us get Longer, is he a FA or does he have a contract and therefore we have to trade?
(if we have to trade, a draft pick would suffice, if they play hardball a pick and a fringe player or just a fringe player, as our fringe players with our list are worth more in this current football climate)

If we can snare another quality player from another club during trade-week as we have done over the last few years i'd be happy with that also (Mumford for me doesn't represent value, he is a decent player, but if its a question of Mumford or Longer, i'd want Longer)

I would like to see us sign Hallahan and work him into the side next year as Sewell starts to drop off

I would also like to see us get Longer, is he a FA or does he have a contract and therefore we have to trade?
(if we have to trade, a draft pick would suffice, if they play hardball a pick and a fringe player or just a fringe player, as our fringe players with our list are worth more in this current football climate)

If we can snare another quality player from another club during trade-week as we have done over the last few years i'd be happy with that also (Mumford for me doesn't represent value, he is a decent player, but if its a question of Mumford or Longer, i'd want Longer)

Reports are Mummy is set to take a huge offer from GWS so you'll get your wish!

Mummy would fit in well with GWS, they need experienced bodies and a guy that can tell them about being at 2 top clubs like Geelong and Sydney.....what those kids should aspire too

If Buddy agreed to seek a trade and the hawks match the offer, i could see the following occurring:
Hawks receive: Dylan Shiel + GWS pick 9
Sydney receive: Buddy + Hawks 3rd Rounder
GWS receive: Mumford + Reid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Buddy agreed to seek a trade and the hawks match the offer, i could see the following occurring:

If Buddy agreed to a trade he would have done it last year.

Why would we take Mumford when Longer is pretty much signed and delivered? Younger, more potential and cheaper.

won't happen Sydney don't need to trade with the hawks, and hawks won't risk getting stiffed and having to keep buddy for 9 years. All the hawks can do is keep it in the memory bank and start working out when some Swans are out of contract over the next few years and poach them. Josh Kennedy would be nice

Longer is 22 years old, how do you think he could be a FA?
He is out of contract, but not a delisted free agent, if that's what you mean!
If we get Mumford I'll spew up, cause all we are doing is helping Sydney get Buddy, let GWS Pay overs for him

My wish: Longer and either Adams or Dylan Shiels

We've been led to believe Longer is signed sealed and delivered to Hawks (Lickmerocks)
And also that Adams has chosen Hawks as his preferred destination (Half Back Dasher)
We wait and see!

Longer is 22 years old, how do you think he could be a FA?
He is out of contract, but not a delisted free agent, if that's what you mean!
If we get Mumford I'll spew up, cause all we are doing is helping Sydney get Buddy, let GWS Pay overs for him

My wish: Longer and either Adams or Dylan Shiels

We've been led to believe Longer is signed sealed and delivered to Hawks (Pessimistic)
And also that Adams has chosen Hawks as his preferred destination (Half Back Dasher)
We wait and see!

2 Questions.

1. What would you see us giving up for these two to get the deals done?
2. What is your new BF name going to be? Longer2Adams? Buddy Traitor?

2 Questions.

1. What would you see us giving up for these two to get the deals done?
2. What is your new BF name going to be? Longer2Adams? Buddy Traitor?
Don't know with deals, possibly Buddy compo pick and another lower pick for Longer at a guess
Adams or Shiels? I'd say GWS would want players
I'd offer Suckling, although I'm sure I'll get abuse for suggesting it!

As for my username, I've asked for Hoof Hearted?, but my name hasn't changed as yet!

Say it quickly 3 times :p

No you cant. In RFA you have the option to match or not match an offer for your player, but ONCE you accept the idea of matching a RFA offer you are bound by that to keep that player and cant then on trade him to try and get a better deal. Remember there is also a rule that you cant trade players in their first year of the new deal. If the player doesn't want to stay even if his club matches a deal, then that player can exercise his rights as you stated. maybe this is what you meant?

But my point was you cant try to manufacture a deal just to try to get a better deal for the hawks.

hmmmm you are so misguided...

Yes you can match (providing AFL approve based on salary cap). If the player signs the deal then he stays and cannot be traded. If he refuses to sign, the two parties can negotiate a trade. If the trade fails the player can nominate for either draft but is not eligible for free agency.

mummy off the table, Should the hawks try to package a couple up for Melbourne's No. 2 pick? Ellis and Sewell ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back