GWS in Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

Should it really be up to the coach?

Canberra now pays GWS $2.85m a year for three men's games, a preseason, and an AFLW match. If GWS only gets one preseason match, it should be played in Canberra, regardless of what Kingsley wants. Or they should at least be giving the ACT government a partial refund to the value of that game.
Lol no it doesn’t. Think you forgot our clubs name. Here’s a hint. It ain’t Canberra.
Plus are you really privy to the deals details? Really?
If this is against them then I’m sure who they have done the deal with will ask for a please explain.

Lol no it doesn’t. Think you forgot our clubs name. Here’s a hint. It ain’t Canberra.
If this is against them then I’m sure who they have done the deal with will ask for a please explain.

I just got the dot point directly from the Giants website.

But this pretty much just reinforces that the Giants can't fully service two markets to the extent both deserve.

I think Giants do a pretty good job of engaging the Canberra fans while making it a pretty easy trip down for Syd fans.
3 in season games is still too many for my taste. I think it just makes it really hard to makes Giants stadium more of a tactical advantage (fortress).
I guess these are the deals that need to be made $$$
Just need some tailgating on Capitol Hill beforehand now.

Should it really be up to the coach?

Canberra now pays GWS $2.85m a year for three men's games, a preseason, and an AFLW match. If GWS only gets one preseason match, it should be played in Canberra, regardless of what Kingsley wants. Or they should at least be giving the ACT government a partial refund to the value of that game.
Fair point from a Canberra perspective. Note that as it’s a 10 year deal, they maybe able to make up this “deficit” in future years? Much like how we had 4 premiership games in 2022 to makeup for the 2 games held during the covid impacted year.

Last edited:
The high level details of the deal was provided by the Giants in their website. It states that we will have 3 AFL mens matches, 1 AFLW match and a preseason match - as well as an additional AFLW match if the AFLW schedule expands and an option for ACT to purchase a 4th AFL mens match annually if available. The actual contract, which only a few would have had access to, will have the detailed fine print on what happens if that’s not possible including mitigating offsets.

The high level details of the deal was provided by the Giants in their website. It states that we will have 3 AFL mens matches, 1 AFLW match and a preseason match - as well as an additional AFLW match if the AFLW schedule expands and an option for ACT to purchase a 4th AFL mens match annually if available. The actual contract, which only a few would have had access to, will have the detailed fine print on what happens if that’s not possible including mitigating offsets.
Exactly.
So while we have the points. The details, the little devils, aren’t known.

You raised a very good point about the name of our club! I think the club in all communications has been referring to itself as the GIANTS and not GWS? Our CEO was asked about this at the fans forum last year and said this was to do with “branding”

I think Giants do a pretty good job of engaging the Canberra fans while making it a pretty easy trip down for Syd fans.
3 in season games is still too many for my taste. I think it just makes it really hard to makes Giants stadium more of a tactical advantage (fortress).
I guess these are the deals that need to be made $$$
Just need some tailgating on Capitol Hill beforehand now.

Three is too many from a Western Sydney perspective, but also too few from a Canberra perspective.

Manuka got more people to four games than Giants Stadium got to six. There's clearly a demand for more footy in Canberra and three games doesn't satisfy that.

Fair point from a Canberra perspective. Note that as it’s a 10 year deal, they maybe able to make up this “deficit” in future years? Much like how we had 4 premiership games in 2022 to makeup for the 2 games held during the covid impacted year.

Maybe, but preseason games are pretty finite. With the expanded main season, there's not much wiggle room there.

But it might come out in the wash with more AFLW games as that season lengthens.

Three is too many from a Western Sydney perspective, but also too few from a Canberra perspective.

Manuka got more people to four games than Giants Stadium got to six. There's clearly a demand for more footy in Canberra and three games doesn't satisfy that.
Then they can get a club. Club 20.
Was always long term in Western Sydney

Then they can get a club. Club 20.
Was always long term in Western Sydney
Not sure why you think GWS has to decide between WS or Canberra? The club has BOTH Canberra and WS as its home region, and the new 10 year deal (taking the Canberra relationship to 21 years) is confirmation of this. When WS draws crowds that regularly fill Giants stadium, that’s when the club should be reviewing this arrangement?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why you think GWS has to decide between WS or Canberra? The club has BOTH Canberra and WS as its home region, and the new 10 year deal (taking the Canberra relationship to 21 years) is confirmation of this. When WS draws crowds that regularly fill Giants stadium, that’s when the club should be reviewing this arrangement?
This is exactly my view.
I have a very different opinion to General Giant on what a commitment to Western Sydney must look like.
I actually think the 8 games is a nice mix of scarcity and regularity.
I find them very present in the community.
Ive worked in development in the Rugby codes and wish I had the access to the players that the Giants provide.
Could they be better in areas, absolutely, but I think they are doing a really good job in both WS and Canberra.

Because WS needs full support and was supposed to be the clubs home from the get go.
The club won’t regularly fill Giants stadium with this arrangement as it looks like the club has one foot out the door.

This is exactly my view.
I have a very different opinion to General Giant on what a commitment to Western Sydney must look like.
I actually think the 8 games is a nice mix of scarcity and regularity.
I find them very present in the community.
Ive worked in development in the Rugby codes and wish I had the access to the players that the Giants provide.
Could they be better in areas, absolutely, but I think they are doing a really good job in both WS and Canberra.
That we do have a different opinion.
Western Sydney won’t be won over part time. The evidence of the last/1st decade shows this, we were in multiple finals and a GF. We still averaged 12k (with a derby).
The development side of things is hilarious, as the club concentrated on the hot beds of the Riverina and Canberra. Therefore WS flounders.

I should make sure this is known.

This is my opinion on the club that I love and have spent thousands on and how I want them to be a power, or even exist, in WS.

In no way am I trying to denigrate supporters from the capital and their love of the club.
All good and I respect your point of view, even though I do not entirely agree with it in relation to playing in Canberra. We both love GWS and want it to be a success both on and off the field.

Maybe, but preseason games are pretty finite. With the expanded main season, there's not much wiggle room there.

But it might come out in the wash with more AFLW games as that season lengthens.
It’s behind a paywall but it seems that GWS couldn’t play the preseason match as Manuka was unavailable due to a charity match

It’s behind a paywall but it seems that GWS couldn’t play the preseason match as Manuka was unavailable due to a charity match

Bloody cricket.

Interesting that they're two weeks apart, but stuck by the lack of drop-in pitch. I wonder if this will get them looking into a drop-in pitch in the future.

Cricket strikes again.
****ed us in Blacktown and have done so again.

I may be against our Canberra involvement but that doesn’t mean I think we don’t stand by our agreements.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back