Competitions 2024 GWS Board Goalkicker Knockout Competition

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
OK, so I left this one on the shelf given the start/stop/restart nature of the first few rounds for us. But, it's now time to begin the traditional knockout goalkicking competition this year, similar to past years. The reward will be bragging rights on this board, and a shiny badge (the "boot") for your profile.

In short, the aim is for posters to nominate GWS players you think will kick goals in games, and if they do, you pass that round and move onwards. On this board, we use two players initially, designated as primary & secondary (which may come into play later in the season for any countback situation). If neither of your nominated players kicks a goal that round, unfortunately you're out. It's a bit of fun with (minor) bragging rights and a badge for your profile page to the winner.

Playing conditions:

1. If you want to play, you need to post in this thread before the first bounce of our next game (1230 Sunday 7th April v Gold Coast) with your nominated players. Players can be subsequently changed up to start time for subsequent games, allowing for any player absences to be managed to ensure two selected players are nominated.

2. Nominate a primary (P) and a secondary (S) player. e.g. P - Hogan; S - Brown. (I have removed the reserve player in 2024 - you'll have to pay more attention to teamn list & outs!)

3. As usual for our board, I'm using more than the (normal) one player because with our likely small number of participants, I don't want to finish too early in the season! (Which we have done in the past when we've had a game with really low scores - hopefully this year is different!)

4. If you don't specifically annotate P & S, I'll assign those designations in the order you name your players.

5. For each week, I'll use the nominated primary and secondary player - provided one of those kicks a goal in that round, you'll pass the round.

6. Keep an eye on outs, and if necessary (or decided by form) change your players before start of the game. If one of your nominated players is out, you increase your risk of being eliminated; if neither is playing, you're done for sure!

7. If we retain most participants deep into the competition, then I'll narrow requirements later in the competition(e.g. state that the primary player needs to kick a goal, or both primary and secondary players need to kick a goal) before the round starts.

9. I reserve the right to cause posters to change their selected players at some future point, if required to achieve a result (e.g. if 2 posters have exactly the same nominated players). I'll aim to make it fair on all participants.

10. For the fun of it, I'll participate, but won't be eligible to win & my entry will be ignored in determining the winner.

11. The winner is the last remaining poster who has a nominated player who has kicked a goal in a round.

12. If in a single round, multiple players are knocked out such that no-one remains, there will initially be a countback process to choose a winner, which will be based around the nominated primary player kicking a goal in the previous round - if there's only one poster, they will win. If not, I reinstate the knocked-out posters from that round to continue. At that point (or I may choose to do it late in the season), I will promulgate a countback system to those posters remaining in the comp.

13. Competition is open to all GWS badged posters, and regular dual citizen posters (e.g. dlanod, Pres, kulak, Drummond). If you'd like to play and you're not sure, just ask. I do need you to have some GWS affiliation.

14. Winner gets a badge awarded by BigFooty.

So, any questions, drop a post in here or PM me. Remember, you need to nominate by bounce on 7th April - I'd reckon we need at least 10 participants to make it worthwhile but love to see lots of interest (it's pretty easy after all!).

P- Jesse Hogan
S- Callum Brown

Final call for any posters wanting to join the comp, before start of today's game.

So far, we have:

Colonial: P - Hogan S - Cadman
Giant Yoyo: P - Hogan S - Brown
Giant Gutsache: P -Brown S - Daniels
MelbourneGWS : P- Hogan S- Brown
BarryAglett: P - Greene S - Riccardi
dlanod: P: Hogan S - Daniels
Determinant: P - Greene S - Green
Orange Crush: P - Hogan S - Greene
Giant Strides: P - Greene S - Daniels

First tick for week one - T. Greene.:heavycheck:
Second tick for week one - Callum Brown. :heavycheck:
Third tick for week one - Hogan. :heavycheck:

Not even 5 minutes into the game, and everyone's through to next week

Woo hoo!

:gws:
Hogan leading the Coleman and the market has him just behind Curnow for the Coleman at year end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we playing this week?
Yep.

Same players will roll over for each poster for this week, unless you wish to change them. But no team changes, I will assume everyone's happy with their original choice unless you post here before kick-off.

MelbourneGWS : P- Hogan S- Brown

OK, the goalkickers this week for GWS are: Hogan, Greene, Thomas, Riccardi, Kelly, Green, Daniels, Coniglio, Cadman.

Chosen players against the list of goalkickers comes out as:

MelbourneGWS : P- Hogan S- Cadman

Just Brown missing out. But those with Brown had someone who did kick a goal, so everyone's through again.

Yay!

Ok, any changes to poster's selected players for the comp? No real need to, they've been scoring heavily and spreading the wealth around. Unless you post a change in here before bouncedown, it will be:

This week's goal kickers: Riccardi, Kelly, Hogan, Bedford, Peatling, Daniels, Cadman, Buckley

Giant Gutsache: P - Brown S - Daniels

So, unfortunately we have our first loss, as the Greene/Green combo comes up red/red, so you're out Determinant. :(

This week's goal kickers: Riccardi, Kelly, Hogan, Bedford, Peatling, Daniels, Cadman, Buckley

So, unfortunately we have our first loss, as the Greene/Green combo comes up red/red, so you're out Determinant. :(
That's life on the edge mate :p

Goalkickers this week: Brown 3, Riccardi 3, Jones 2, Perryman 2, Thomas 2, Cadman, Green, Hogan, Kelly, O'Halloran

Remaining posters (Determinant is out):

BarryAglett: P - Brown S - Riccardi
Giant Strides: P - Cadman S - Jones

So, thanks to another dominant scoring effort, all those remaining go through to next week. Brave of those backing Greene and Daniels to put their faith in their primary player - but it worked!

[EDIT: clarified Determinant's position, lost out last week]

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back