VFL GWS VFL 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Unable to make it now. Any updates or highlights would be super appreciated.
Haven’t got there, Swans are ahead by plenty I believe

Really? Thought a ton of more rain was due.
Was always meant to ease up this morning, but did so about 4-6 hours earlier than expected.

Tomorrow was always clear. Sydney Juniors was just avoiding having half the teams missing a game because council closed their grounds and the other half being good to play

The GIANTS’ VFL side will be bolstered by a wealth of talent and experience on Saturday with former AFL skipper Callan Ward headlining five huge inclusions to take on Sandringham.

A 296-game veteran of the AFL, Ward will return to the field through the VFL following a rapid recovery from a shoulder injury sustained in the club’s Opening Round win over Collingwood. Originally expected to miss 6-8 weeks, the former club champion and inaugural co-captain of the GIANTS progressed through his rehabilitation quicker than expected and after returning to full contact training this week has been deemed fit to return through the VFL on Saturday.

Joining Ward in the clash against the Zebras at Manuka Oval will be fellow AFL-listed GIANTS Braydon Preuss (back), Phoenix Gothard (glandular fever) and Joe Fonti (adductor) after all made successful returns to the field last weekend in the club’s VFL practice match against the Swans.

Ryan Angwin has also been included in the side to take on the Zebras, with the wingman one of 16 AFL-listed GIANTS named for the round three clash. Nick Haynes will not play VFL this week as he is the travelling emergency for the GIANTS’ AFL side for their clash with the Saints on Saturday.

After a tough 17-point round one loss to the Bulldogs at Whiten Oval a fortnight ago, the GIANTS will be out to claim their first victory of the 2024 Smithy's VFL season with victory over the Zebras in Canberra.

The GIANTS and the Zebras will face off at Manuka Oval at 10:05am on Saturday.

VFL Round 3

GIANTS v Sandringham
Saturday, April 13 at 10:05am
Manuka Oval | Ngunnawal Country

Team:

FB: Ethan Williams, Leek Aleer, Izaac Hughes
HB: Josh Fahey, Harper Montgomery, Joe Fonti
C: Cooper Hamilton, Callan Ward, Toby McMullin
HF: Ryan Angwin, Max Gruzewski, Darcy Jones,
FF: Nicholas Madden, Ryan Hebron, Wade Derksen
RR: Braydon Preuss, Harry Rowston, Conor Stone

Interchange: Jackson Bowne, Marc Sheather, Nicholas Quigg, Matt Harms, Phoenix Gothard

Ins: Joe Fonti, Callan Ward, Ryan Angwin, Braydon Preuss, Phoenix Gothard

Out: James Creighton, Tom McCaffrey, Charlie McCormack, Josaia Delana, Lachlan Keeffe

The GIANTS’ VFL side will be bolstered by a wealth of talent and experience on Saturday with former AFL skipper Callan Ward headlining five huge inclusions to take on Sandringham.

A 296-game veteran of the AFL, Ward will return to the field through the VFL following a rapid recovery from a shoulder injury sustained in the club’s Opening Round win over Collingwood. Originally expected to miss 6-8 weeks, the former club champion and inaugural co-captain of the GIANTS progressed through his rehabilitation quicker than expected and after returning to full contact training this week has been deemed fit to return through the VFL on Saturday.

Joining Ward in the clash against the Zebras at Manuka Oval will be fellow AFL-listed GIANTS Braydon Preuss (back), Phoenix Gothard (glandular fever) and Joe Fonti (adductor) after all made successful returns to the field last weekend in the club’s VFL practice match against the Swans.

Ryan Angwin has also been included in the side to take on the Zebras, with the wingman one of 16 AFL-listed GIANTS named for the round three clash. Nick Haynes will not play VFL this week as he is the travelling emergency for the GIANTS’ AFL side for their clash with the Saints on Saturday.

After a tough 17-point round one loss to the Bulldogs at Whiten Oval a fortnight ago, the GIANTS will be out to claim their first victory of the 2024 Smithy's VFL season with victory over the Zebras in Canberra.

The GIANTS and the Zebras will face off at Manuka Oval at 10:05am on Saturday.

VFL Round 3

GIANTS v Sandringham
Saturday, April 13 at 10:05am
Manuka Oval | Ngunnawal Country

Team:

FB: Ethan Williams, Leek Aleer, Izaac Hughes
HB: Josh Fahey, Harper Montgomery, Joe Fonti
C: Cooper Hamilton, Callan Ward, Toby McMullin
HF: Ryan Angwin, Max Gruzewski, Darcy Jones,
FF: Nicholas Madden, Ryan Hebron, Wade Derksen
RR: Braydon Preuss, Harry Rowston, Conor Stone

Interchange: Jackson Bowne, Marc Sheather, Nicholas Quigg, Matt Harms, Phoenix Gothard

Ins: Joe Fonti, Callan Ward, Ryan Angwin, Braydon Preuss, Phoenix Gothard

Out: James Creighton, Tom McCaffrey, Charlie McCormack, Josaia Delana, Lachlan Keeffe

Interesting that Keeffe is out and he isn't named as an emergency for the Saints.

Interesting that Keeffe is out and he isn't named as an emergency for the Saints.
Yes. When the first grade team was named, I noted that they hadn't named a ruck emergency. Then, he's omitted from VFL.

Either he's got a niggle (which isn't on the official injury list), or they want to give others a full game in VFL. But it does seem odd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not having been to Manuka before is there only one entrance to this ground. Just went to go in an entrance and told the gates don’t open till 955

not having been to Manuka before is there only one entrance to this ground. Just went to go in an entrance and told the gates don’t open till 955
There are two entrances. But I presume they will both open at the same time. (They are pretty much 180 degrees opposite.)

I guess they don't expect many to turn up for the VFL game!

seems to be the way i am told… deck does look in awesome nick.

This commentator is particularly annoying. He has no idea who half the Giants players are.

"Good work from the defensive player there" doesn't cut it. Who was it?

Fahey's goal from outside 50 was a beauty and if I were Jacob Wehr I'd be doing everything I could this afternoon

watching Leek Alliir you get the sense he is too good for this level but not good enough at senior level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back