Golf Golf Course rankings, and general golf course chat thread

Remove this Banner Ad

My 2 cents on joining a club

2020 I was just a social golfer who enjoyed golf a lot but would play s**t courses a few times a year before giving up because I was no good and wasn’t getting any better .

Had a mate who was heavily into it and made the call to sign up to Cranbourne gc. Suddenly I realised what I was missing out on all that time . Course was mint, I could book in whenever I wanted and use practice facilities ..

Suddenly I was playing so much more , having access to the best tee times could book in early morning and still be finished before midday for time for the family . Could also jump on for practice in summer in the arvos once ir twice a week .

My game when from breaking 100 once in 10 rounds to 16-17 hc within 6 months .

Now I’m at ranfurlie, found a group of guys I book in with every week . Played around with a mate during winter who is new to golf so went to a public course and absolutely hate it . Condition was terrible and round was so slow

Honestly playing the same course every week is not a negative whatsoever. If you take the plunge and sign up somewhere you’ll love it

My story is similar to Sippa, albeit almost 30 years earlier!

I played sporadically in the 80s as a teenager at public courses with my old man and brother. Early 90s brother was living in NYC, I was at Uni on the beers every night. Lucky to play half a dozen rounds a year.

When my brother came home he said bugger this, we will join at the Marsh, no waitlist (which was a major issue in that era of Norman mania) and no joining fees, so was not going to break the bank for a poor university student.

Got us into the habit - Saturday morning tee time every week, no matter what the weather. If I had a big night on Friday he would pick me up, but we were always there.

We have had a standard 4-ball for 20 years, but know every single Sat AM player so will turn up regardless, always good blokes around you can put your name down next to.

Had heard anecdotally that some members were getting $50k for their shares (which were trading circa $10k pre-Covid).

$50k for a Nash share is way overs for mine and we may be seeing the top of the market.
i gave your post 0.75 like for the first sentence. 50k isnt correct however from my whispers.

I gave the second 0.15 as i think its tremendous......when all 4 courses are operational. i do wonder where the share price goes, and i think you may be right. that goes for golf clubs in general. escalating costs of living etc, somethings have to give

Haven't checked, the more I look into them the more they seem unaffordable for me. Will probably stick with something like Future as I can't justify the member costs with the amount I'd likely play, and I like the variety of course play.

Maybe down the track when I'm semi retired and could play somewhere 2-3 times a week that's a bit further away.
I’ll make one last pitch for membership. There’s a couple of key things if you want to improve. One is that your practice facilities will be better. You can go whenever you want. You’ll have driving range, chipping and putting green to practice on at any time.
A 2nd point which isn't easily quantified is that if you duck out for 9 after work, you’ll find it easier to practice things during a round whereas if you’re always paying for 9 holes you sort of feel like you have to play ‘properly’ each time. E.g is that I might play a round where I’ll try to hit a fade each tee shot, or every chip will be a flop shot, or just going around with 3 clubs in your bag. You get the picture. You’ll improve far faster playing the same course each week than than a new course once a month.

Last edited:
There is no doubt that the average joe would be better off from a golf perspective joining a private club but there is always the question of what's a fair cost.

Eg is it worth paying $5000-7000 joining fee at Spring Valley and ~$5400 annually?

Private golf has very quickly become overpriced and unaffordable for the working guy who plays 25 games a year. There are some very good reasons for this (which are unlikely to be fixed any time soon).

I tend to disagree. Spring Valley, as a near top 50 course, and those above it are not great examples as they will get people joining and paying even if rates go up.

I play mainly at Kew (rated in top 100 just). It has undergone big changes in recent years and tailored costs to attract younger members. Its been a real success and the place is much more vibrant and relaxed. While the joining fee is steep if you are over 40 it drops away progressively the younger you get and can be paid by instalments.

Annual fees do the same. $3605 if you are 40 or over but if 35-39 drops to $2521 and when you get to at 18-24 its just $1441 per year. If you are a keen 22 yo for instance , playing 2 x per week you are only paying $14 dollars a round on average. Play 25 times a year and its $56. Lots of younger members who are working are there now. 10 years ago Kew wouldn't have dreamt of these arrangements.

Lots of others course in the area and around Melb are similar. So its still going to be a reach for a lot of people but if you play 1-2 x weekly and then more in holidays the private side of things can be less expensive than paying 100+ green fees at public courses over 12 months.

P.S this surge has bought a whole raft of current Richmond players would be my major compaint

There is no doubt that the average joe would be better off from a golf perspective joining a private club but there is always the question of what's a fair cost.

Eg is it worth paying $5000-7000 joining fee at Spring Valley and ~$5400 annually?

Private golf has very quickly become overpriced and unaffordable for the working guy who plays 25 games a year. There are some very good reasons for this (which are unlikely to be fixed any time soon).

I tend to disagree. Spring Valley, as a near top 50 course, and those above it are not great examples as they will get people joining and paying even if rates go up.

I play mainly at Kew (rated in top 100 just). It has undergone big changes in recent years and tailored costs to attract younger members. Its been a real success and the place is much more vibrant and relaxed. While the joining fee is steep if you are over 40 it drops away progressively the younger you get and can be paid by instalments.

Annual fees do the same. $3605 if you are 40 or over but if 35-39 drops to $2521 and when you get to at 18-24 its just $1441 per year. If you are a keen 22 yo for instance , playing 2 x per week you are only paying $14 dollars a round on average. Play 25 times a year and its $56. Lots of younger members who are working are there now. 10 years ago Kew wouldn't have dreamt of these arrangements.

Lots of others course in the area and around Melb are similar. So its still going to be a reach for a lot of people but if you play 1-2 x weekly and then more in holidays the private side of things can be less expensive than paying 100+ green fees at public courses over 12 months.

P.S this surge has bought a whole raft of current Richmond players would be my major compaint

Joining a private club I understand is not for everyone. Lifestyle, costs, dependants, time etc are all major factors. Cost, $, it comes down to this for 99% of people. And when analysing bang for buck, absolutely its not "worth it" for some.

Cost/round is an obvious and simple way of determining said worth. Also in consideration are and could be petrol, tolls (if you go on them), food and beverage at the club. But joining a club offers intangibles that others have mentioned - going to the club when you want, hitting balls, practicing etc. Flexibility is great! Another intangible is mental health. No stress, just go to the club and use the range as opposed to wondering if the local range might be too busy, cost of balls etc.

If I didn't restart at the bottom with my career I would have joined a private course in my early 30s. It might not be achievable for a number of years yet for me but can't wait to join somewhere in the future.

If I didn't restart at the bottom with my career I would have joined a private course in my early 30s. It might not be achievable for a number of years yet for me but can't wait to join somewhere in the future.
Reckon a big consideration is the time golf takes. I only played occasionally and didnt get a handicap or join a club til my mid forties. Had kids young and it was by that age they were more grown and time meant golf could be fitted in. Getting on top of mortages etc also means that time when you can do it and afford it is later in life.

Reckon a big consideration is the time golf takes. I only played occasionally and didnt get a handicap or join a club til my mid forties. Had kids young and it was by that age they were more grown and time meant golf could be fitted in. Getting on top of mortages etc also means that time when you can do it and afford it is later in life.
also kids school sport (saturdays) with training. And other extra circular activites

Annual fees do the same. $3605 if you are 40 or over but if 35-39 drops to $2521
It's probably worthy of a separate thread but how any club could think it is a good idea to offer discounts to 37 year olds (well established by that stage in their careers) without being on mind-altering substances is beyond me.

It's probably worthy of a separate thread but how any club could think it is a good idea to offer discounts to 37 year olds (well established by that stage in their careers) without being on mind-altering substances is beyond me.

Mortgages, kids, cost of living. I dunno, quite a few reasons

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't checked, the more I look into them the more they seem unaffordable for me. Will probably stick with something like Future as I can't justify the member costs with the amount I'd likely play, and I like the variety of course play.

Maybe down the track when I'm semi retired and could play somewhere 2-3 times a week that's a bit further away.
Come join me at Eastern Sward. Course is nothing to write home about but it's semi-private and typically you can just walk on and have a hit outside competition times. It's been great for me, i work from home and can often take a 1-2 hour break in the afternoon and just go for a hit without needing to book a tee time etc.

Come join me at Eastern Sward. Course is nothing to write home about but it's semi-private and typically you can just walk on and have a hit outside competition times. It's been great for me, i work from home and can often take a 1-2 hour break in the afternoon and just go for a hit without needing to book a tee time etc.
Probably another one that's just a fraction far for me (30 mins each way without traffic), and I'd probably struggle to get there often enough. Ideally I was looking at close to home courses, but the ones that are very convenient location wise are also the most expensive.

I think I'll stick to Future golf for the moment and revisit down the track, I'll still be in the under 40 category for another 7 years.

Probably another one that's just a fraction far for me (30 mins each way without traffic), and I'd probably struggle to get there often enough. Ideally I was looking at close to home courses, but the ones that are very convenient location wise are also the most expensive.

I think I'll stick to Future golf for the moment and revisit down the track, I'll still be in the under 40 category for another 7 years.
I hear ya, my partner and i are currently weighing up a move to beaumaris later in the year. it kind of makes sense for us to do it but i dont want to move away from affordable golf haha

I would've thought it's pretty obvious. Get a younger demographic in the door and try to keep them for the next 30 years. Most clubs would have an average age if 60+.

I hear ya, my partner and i are currently weighing up a move to beaumaris later in the year. it kind of makes sense for us to do it but i dont want to move away from affordable golf haha

If you looking at Beauy you can afford any of those courses around there....one would think 😂

A lot of it is around member retention. In the 30s, there is typically a lot less opportunity to play, so many players will give up their memberships. Cheap subs at that period can keep a member for decades.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would've thought it's pretty obvious. Get a younger demographic in the door and try to keep them for the next 30 years. Most clubs would have an average age if 60+.

We are trying hard to get the kids involved. It aint easy, even for those families where fees are not an issue. Gateways, juniors etc, trying everything. Sunday arvo muckaround with the kids, fast track in. It's like your footy under 19s, you need a bunch of mates to join together and create their own gang which becomes a core around which to grow the category.

We are trying hard to get the kids involved. It aint easy, even for those families where fees are not an issue. Gateways, juniors etc, trying everything. Sunday arvo muckaround with the kids, fast track in. It's like your footy under 19s, you need a bunch of mates to join together and create their own gang which becomes a core around which to grow the category.

I'm happy to be adopted by someone at KH

may i ask where you reside suburb wise?

We have a group of around 12, all members, play together each week, and I think 7 of them come from 45 mins to 1.25hrs away….and none of them ever complain about the drive. They’re all more excited just to play together weekly.

We have a group of around 12, all members, play together each week, and I think 7 of them come from 45 mins to 1.25hrs away….and none of them ever complain about the drive. They’re all more excited just to play together weekly.

Imagine it would be leaving the house for a Sunday each week does wonders for their mental health too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back