Golf Golf Course rankings, and general golf course chat thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We've just added Bonnie Doon and Brookwater as reciprocals.

Brookwater is really fun and is a bit different to the average course in Aus. Not many courses sit walled by native Australian forest.

Me and a mate were locked in once because it took us too long to get around the course. We should have taken the hint when the sprinklers came on instead of just playing around them.

Lucky the caretaker was home.

Been looking at membership options around my area, the elitist nature of the game is still alive at some courses. Whereas the annual fee is expensive but palatable if you play often enough, the joining fee of $5-10k just to get into the door at some of these courses means if you ain't financially well off, sorry see you later.

Been looking at membership options around my area, the elitist nature of the game is still alive at some courses. Whereas the annual fee is expensive but palatable if you play often enough, the joining fee of $5-10k just to get into the door at some of these courses means if you ain't financially well off, sorry see you later.

Can typically pay it off a little if you join one with wait-list.

Where you looking?

Can typically pay it off a little if you join one with wait-list.

Where you looking?
I'd looked at Huntingdale, Spring Valley, Metropolitan, Yarra Yarra and Commonwealth. Riversdale is the next level down but it's still out of budget.

Keysborough seems reasonable, but don't know what the course is like.

I'd looked at Huntingdale, Spring Valley, Metropolitan, Yarra Yarra and Commonwealth. Riversdale is the next level down but it's still out of budget.

Keysborough seems reasonable, but don't know what the course is like.

Metro closed their wait list. They aren’t taking any applications for a while.

Commonwealth I’d say will be worth a shot. Dunno where they’re at with their development. Nine holes at a time.

Perhaps look at southern?

Guess it’s economics. Wait listing and popularity leads to high demand ergo high prices. In economic theory of course. If that is elite then it’s elite which is the domain of a private golf club.

If you’re prepared to drive I recommend the dunes or Moonah links.

No, but I've played it and it was a great course with a pretty good club house.
Yeh its fairly close to home and keen to get on but members only at the moment, maybe out of peak season they might let me on.

If I liked the course would have looked at membership as its very reasonable relatively speaking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh its fairly close to home and keen to get on but members only at the moment, maybe out of peak season they might let me on.

If I liked the course would have looked at membership as its very reasonable relatively speaking
If you're keen to join, talk to the office (not the pro shop) about the process you have to go through. Once they've explained that, if it all seems reasonable to you let them know you'd like to start the process. As a part of that, ask of you can have a social round at some point to check out the course. They'll get you on. If you'd prefer to play with some members to get their feedback, they can organise that too.

I joined a club few months ago, best decision I have ever made with regards to my golf. Took me a few years to justify the joining fee but I now wish I had done it years ago. I play more golf, have more time as only travelling 5minutes to the course now and have really enjoyed the club environment. If your considering it I would suggest doing it sooner rather than later. Rounds are quicker, course is nicer and greens are always in great condition

I figured if I play golf for the next 20/30 years the joining fee will become irrelevant in the end. I decided pay it forget about it and enjoy my golf.

I joined a club few months ago, best decision I have ever made with regards to my golf. Took me a few years to justify the joining fee but I now wish I had done it years ago. I play more golf, have more time as only travelling 5minutes to the course now and have really enjoyed the club environment. If your considering it I would suggest doing it sooner rather than later. Rounds are quicker, course is nicer and greens are always in great condition

I figured if I play golf for the next 20/30 years the joining fee will become irrelevant in the end. I decided pay it forget about it and enjoy my golf.
That's one of my reasons I'm challenged by those high joining fees of like $8k for example.

I dont necessarily want to play my golf at the same course every week for the next 10 years, which you kind of have to given the yearly membership costs too or it works out to an excessive cost per round.

It's not all about looking at cost per round though. There are other benefits. You will improve playing on better maintained place. Less crap lying around in the rough, no foot marks in bunkers, less hackers with zero etiquette meaning less long frustrating rounds where it is almost impossible to keep rhythm if you are playing well. You get to play with better players and as a result you get better as well. You learn from your mistakes playing at a home course and play it smartly with time. The social benefits belonging to a club is awesome. Also, as you move through life it is a handy thing to have membership in regards to your career. And with time your income increases and you will play golf elsewhere and it is less of an issue. I'm sure there's heaps of other benefits as well.

That's one of my reasons I'm challenged by those high joining fees of like $8k for example.

I dont necessarily want to play my golf at the same course every week for the next 10 years, which you kind of have to given the yearly membership costs too or it works out to an excessive cost per round.
Playing at the same course really helps your game improve. The one course thing is only really a barrier at the start. Once you're a member, you'll love it.

its a private club. like any private clubs you'll need a member to take you on. But call their back office and enquire anyway.

If thats the case, dont join a physical club (bricks, mortar, grass, trees, sand). Join a future golf or something like that granting access to various courses (i tihnk).

Re costs, what would you deem a reasonable price/round?

It's not all about looking at cost per round though. There are other benefits. You will improve playing on better maintained place. Less crap lying around in the rough, no foot marks in bunkers, less hackers with zero etiquette meaning less long frustrating rounds where it is almost impossible to keep rhythm if you are playing well. You get to play with better players and as a result you get better as well. You learn from your mistakes playing at a home course and play it smartly with time. The social benefits belonging to a club is awesome. Also, as you move through life it is a handy thing to have membership in regards to your career. And with time your income increases and you will play golf elsewhere and it is less of an issue. I'm sure there's heaps of other benefits as well.

What scrappy said, they are effectively the benefits. like joining any club be it sporting or non. meet lots of people who are there for the same reason "rooting" for the same purpose to play golf there.

Networking is certainly a massive plus for joining a club.

Joining a club allows a home away from home. Like posters who are members, you can turn up at your club and feel at home. Chuck things onto your account, go hit some balls, play a few holes. I use the swimming facilities at pk when the weather is appropriate.

Ps….anyone know what those real tall things either side of the fairways are?
Makes it difficult to hit your ball out from behind them

90% air

Tell them you want to become a member but would like to play the course 1st

I'd be stunned if they didn't let you on to play

its a private club. like any private clubs you'll need a member to take you on. But call their back office and enquire anyway.

If thats the case, dont join a physical club (bricks, mortar, grass, trees, sand). Join a future golf or something like that granting access to various courses (i tihnk).

Re costs, what would you deem a reasonable price/round?

What scrappy said, they are effectively the benefits. like joining any club be it sporting or non. meet lots of people who are there for the same reason "rooting" for the same purpose to play golf there.

Networking is certainly a massive plus for joining a club.

Joining a club allows a home away from home. Like posters who are members, you can turn up at your club and feel at home. Chuck things onto your account, go hit some balls, play a few holes. I use the swimming facilities at pk when the weather is appropriate.

90% air
Cost per round depends on the course, if I could play at Keysborough enough to get it to $50-60 a round I'd be happy with that I reckon.

Cost per round depends on the course, if I could play at Keysborough enough to get it to $50-60 a round I'd be happy with that I reckon.
Would that correlate to about 60 rounds a year?

Hard to do unless you can play during the week.

You know Keysborough are broke right and trying to shift up and move to Bangholme?

Would that correlate to about 60 rounds a year?

Hard to do unless you can play during the week.

You know Keysborough are broke right and trying to shift up and move to Bangholme?
No I wasn't aware. Maybe my few bucks will help lol.

I know Rossdale are selling/looking to move.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back