Golf Golf Course rankings, and general golf course chat thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I would've thought it's pretty obvious. Get a younger demographic in the door and try to keep them for the next 30 years. Most clubs would have an average age if 60+.
I understand the attraction and it sounds so simple. However from experience this is not how it works in practice.

Generally the 30-40yo set are shopping around to get the cheapest deal possible at a half decent course to minimise the cost. They want to have access to and snap up early tee times on Sat/Sun. Hence they pick up a tier 3 type membership at Kew/Southern/Patt River/Keysborough/Ranfurlie that offers the experience they want at as cheap a price as possible.

Then when they hit 40 and have to pay full tote odds they either move to a cheap restricted playing category or leave all together. They then re-enter club membership at age 55 or similar and due to the break/discounts they've received they have saved enough of a join fee to move up to a tier 1 or tier 2 club.

Hence the club that dropped their pants to get them in at age 30-35 sees none of the benefit of their noble work.

There's a reason the top clubs don't offer discounts for age 30-40.

I understand the attraction and it sounds so simple. However from experience this is not how it works in practice.

Generally the 30-40yo set are shopping around to get the cheapest deal possible at a half decent course to minimise the cost. They want to have access to and snap up early tee times on Sat/Sun. Hence they pick up a tier 3 type membership at Kew/Southern/Patt River/Keysborough/Ranfurlie that offers the experience they want at as cheap a price as possible.

Then when they hit 40 and have to pay full tote odds they either move to a cheap restricted playing category or leave all together. They then re-enter club membership at age 55 or similar and due to the break/discounts they've received they have saved enough of a join fee to move up to a tier 1 or tier 2 club.

Hence the club that dropped their pants to get them in at age 30-35 sees none of the benefit of their noble work.

There's a reason the top clubs don't offer discounts for age 30-40.

Every club is different- mine has a waiting list of 5+ years and still offers a massive discount for 25-45 yos via a “restricted” membership that I think is about 25% of the regular subs. It kept me on the hook for that entire period!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Every club is different- mine has a waiting list of 5+ years and still offers a massive discount for 25-45 yos via a “restricted” membership that I think is about 25% of the regular subs. It kept me on the hook for that entire period!

A number of my clients went to the trouble of nominating me for membership at your club a few years back.
They all provided references etc…. I baulked at the $8k? Joining fee….and the fact that I didn’t want to play with guys I invoiced on a regular basis….just gave them the potential to complain…more…about my services 😁, after I whipped their arses on the course.
They were all mid 30’s hcp.

A number of my clients went to the trouble of nominating me for membership at your club a few years back.
They all provided references etc…. I baulked at the $8k? Joining fee….and the fact that I didn’t want to play with guys I invoiced on a regular basis….just gave them the potential to complain…more…about my services , after I whipped their arses on the course.
They were all mid 30’s hcp.

Must have been a while back - entrance fee is now $12,300. Your easy solution would have been to charge them more.

The process is such a painful one that I always make sure ppl are on board with the fees. And then what invariably happens is they join Portsea whilst on the wait list… Massive shame the clubs didn’t merge when it was on the cards a few years back.

The process is such a painful one that I always make sure ppl are on board with the fees. And then what invariably happens is they join Portsea whilst on the wait list… Massive shame the clubs didn’t merge when it was on the cards a few years back.
Which happens to have a cool under 40's discount thereby making it a perfect temporary holding spot whilst they wait to trade up

Here's my list of courses played, lots of cheap locals but also a few highlights in there:

Edithvale
Oakleigh
Wattle Park
Gardiners Run
Glen Waverley Public
Spring Park
Malvern Valley
Rowville Lakes
Brighton Public
Portsea
Eagle Ridge
Hunter Valley
The Vintage
Cyprus Lakes
Sandringham Links
Hidden Valley
Churchill Park - Waverley & Endeavour Hills
Morack Public
Cape Schank
Peregian Springs
Beaconsfield Hills/Lakes
Pakenham Golf Course
Anglesea Golf Club
Lorne Country Club
Cheltenham Public
Waterford Valley
The Cups
Sugar Valley
Aussie Golf Ranch

Here's my list of courses played, lots of cheap locals but also a few highlights in there:

Edithvale
Oakleigh
Wattle Park
Gardiners Run
Glen Waverley Public
Spring Park
Malvern Valley
Rowville Lakes
Brighton Public
Portsea
Eagle Ridge
Hunter Valley
The Vintage
Cyprus Lakes
Sandringham Links
Hidden Valley
Churchill Park - Waverley & Endeavour Hills
Morack Public
Cape Schank
Peregian Springs
Beaconsfield Hills/Lakes
Pakenham Golf Course
Anglesea Golf Club
Lorne Country Club
Cheltenham Public
Waterford Valley
The Cups
Sugar Valley
Aussie Golf Ranch
What did you think of Gardiners run. Playing there Friday for the 1st time

Only played it once and was a couple of years ago, but enjoyed it. There's some great elevated tees and some nice varied holes, nice visual appeal.

Won't be easy the first time as there's a lot of slopes, elevated/de-elevated tees and greens, and some blind hills/shots from meory, so judging those as a first timer at a course is always hard without course experience. I'd practice your shots off different angled lies ahead of the round as I reckon you'll be hitting a few iron shots on some slopes both uphill, downhill and above and below your feet.

Can't recall the condition, but assume it was good.

Last edited:
The Dunes
The Cups
Sorrento
Portsea
Eagle Ridge
Cape Schank
Nat - Old
Nat - Moonah
Nat - Gunnamatta
St Andrew’s Beach
Flinders
Bayviews Rosebud
Rosebud Cc North
Rosebud Cc South
Sorrento Downs - No longer in existence
Mt Martha
Devil Bend
Peninsula - North
Waterford Valley
Kingston Heath
Sandy Links
Kingswood
Lonsdale Links
Queenscliff
13th Beach - Beach
Apollo Bay
Hamilton Is
Barnbougle
Bougle Run
Lost Farm
Portarlington
Foster
Leongatha
Queenstown NZ
Jack’s Point NZ
Healesville
Huntingdale

My top 3 (aside from my own course 😁 ) that I’ve enjoyed playing

1. Lost Farm … love it
2. Lonsdale Links
3. Nat - Moonah

I’m a links style course kinda guy

Edit: add
Moonah Links Legends
Moonah Links Open

Last edited:
The Dunes
The Cups
Sorrento
Portsea
Eagle Ridge
Cape Schank
Nat - Old
Nat - Moonah
Nat - Gunnamatta
St Andrew’s Beach
Flinders
Bayviews Rosebud
Rosebud Cc North
Rosebud Cc South
Mt Martha
Devil Bend
Peninsula - North
Waterford Valley
Kingston Heath
Sandy Links
Kingswood
Lonsdale Links
Queenscliff
13th Beach - Beach
Apollo Bay
Hamilton Is
Barnbougle
Bougle Run
Lost Farm
Portarlington
Foster
Leongatha
Queenstown NZ
Jack’s Point NZ
Healesville
Huntingdale

My top 3 (aside from my own course ) that I’ve enjoyed playing

1. Lost Farm … love it
2. Lonsdale Links
3. Nat - Moonah

Extra points for Sorrento downs. Once copped a shanked mid-iron to the leg from an errant drive from my 14yo playing partner. Was 12 at the time.

If golf was re-invented, a 12 hole layout might be the answer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Dunes
The Cups
Sorrento
Portsea
Eagle Ridge
Cape Schank
Nat - Old
Nat - Moonah
Nat - Gunnamatta
St Andrew’s Beach
Flinders
Bayviews Rosebud
Rosebud Cc North
Rosebud Cc South
Mt Martha
Devil Bend
Peninsula - North
Waterford Valley
Kingston Heath
Sandy Links
Kingswood
Lonsdale Links
Queenscliff
13th Beach - Beach
Apollo Bay
Hamilton Is
Barnbougle
Bougle Run
Lost Farm
Portarlington
Foster
Leongatha
Queenstown NZ
Jack’s Point NZ
Healesville
Huntingdale

1. Lost Farm … love it
2. Lonsdale Links
3. Nat - Moonah

Sorrento Downs. Played that a bit when young, 12 holes

The National Old
The National Moonah
The National Gunnamatta
The National Ocean
The National Long Island
Peninsula Kingswood north
Peninsula Kingswood south
Peninsula Kingswood Composite
Kingswood
The Dunes
St Andrews Beach
Flinders
Cape Schanck
Moonah Links Legends
Moonah Links Open
Cathedral Lodge
Kingston Heath
Metropolitan
Royal Melbourne West
Royal Melbourne East
Huntingdale
Victoria
Commonwealth
Yarra Yarra
Woodlands
Gardiners Run
Yering
Heritage St Johns
Capital
Waterford Valley (vale :( )
Ringwood
Malvern Valley
Morack
Churchill Waverley
Albert Park
Oakleigh
Glen waverley
13th beach beach
lonsdale links
queenscliff
Eynesbury
Kew
Keysborough
Mornington
Rosanna
Riversdale
Hidden Valley
Cardinia Beaconhills
Box Hill
Sanctuary Cove pines
Sanctuary Cove palms
Kooyonga
NSW
The Lakes
Bonville
Ocean Dunes
Cape Wickham
Clearwater Bay
Discovery Bay
Zhuhai Golden Gulf
Mission Hills - Dye course

Could be a great track

Bunkers need some love - 3 months ago I was there

But they were working on them at the time

Comments are exceptional. Feel free to expand on your Woodlands cheat.

Think I spoke about him somewhere after the round.

"4" handicapper, invited us down for a round as guests. (gifts my mate a round, I have to pay) first issue. Look he is a good solid golfer but from about hole 2 start notice that he didn't putt out from within 6-8feet. Would tap it in. "yeah I got a 4.

Now we were in the daily sunday comp and with another member (good lad). This bloke starts calling him out and old mate would double down and be like nah I got a four, they gimmies. Other member wasn't standing for it.

He must have been fluffed because he missed a few drives with snap hook (tension?) And off he went to find the ball. Must have been 3 holes that he found his ball after we stopped looking for it in clearings and no issue getting to the green.

Recently spoke to another member there and apparently there is a handful of "cheats' and no one wants to play with them. Can only imagine he is one of them.

Made the round just not enjoyable. Here I am battling to get myself a good score and 3 putting regularly while he gives himself up and downs each time.

The Dunes
The Cups
Sorrento
Portsea
Eagle Ridge
Cape Schank
Nat - Old
Nat - Moonah
Nat - Gunnamatta
St Andrew’s Beach
Flinders
Bayviews Rosebud
Rosebud Cc North
Rosebud Cc South
Mt Martha
Devil Bend
Peninsula - North
Waterford Valley
Kingston Heath
Sandy Links
Kingswood
Lonsdale Links
Queenscliff
13th Beach - Beach
Apollo Bay
Hamilton Is
Barnbougle
Bougle Run
Lost Farm
Portarlington
Foster
Leongatha
Queenstown NZ
Jack’s Point NZ
Healesville
Huntingdale

1. Lost Farm … love it
2. Lonsdale Links
3. Nat - Moonah

Extra points for Sorrento downs. Once copped a shanked mid-iron to the leg from an errant drive from my 14yo playing partner. Was 12 at the time.

If golf was re-invented, a 12 hole layout might be the answer.

Played there on a weekly basis as a teenager, lived 200mts away.
Rode our dirt bikes in the adjacent vacant bush… the course manager was always chasing us away.
In later years stumbled home through the course on a weekend following a big night at The Conti.

The National Old
The National Moonah
The National Gunnamatta
The National Ocean
The National Long Island
Peninsula Kingswood north
Peninsula Kingswood south
Peninsula Kingswood Composite
Kingswood
The Dunes
St Andrews Beach
Flinders
Cape Schanck
Moonah Links Legends
Moonah Links Open
Cathedral Lodge
Kingston Heath
Metropolitan
Royal Melbourne West
Royal Melbourne East
Huntingdale
Victoria
Commonwealth
Yarra Yarra
Woodlands
Gardiners Run
Yering
Heritage St Johns
Capital
Waterford Valley (vale :( )
Ringwood
Malvern Valley
Morack
Churchill Waverley
Albert Park
Oakleigh
Glen waverley
13th beach beach
lonsdale links
queenscliff
Eynesbury
Kew
Keysborough
Mornington
Rosanna
Riversdale
Hidden Valley
Cardinia Beaconhills
Box Hill
Sanctuary Cove pines
Sanctuary Cove palms
Kooyonga
NSW
The Lakes
Bonville
Ocean Dunes
Cape Wickham
Clearwater Bay
Discovery Bay
Zhuhai Golden Gulf
Mission Hills - Dye course
You need to get down to Barnbougle

Think I spoke about him somewhere after the round.

"4" handicapper, invited us down for a round as guests. (gifts my mate a round, I have to pay) first issue. Look he is a good solid golfer but from about hole 2 start notice that he didn't putt out from within 6-8feet. Would tap it in. "yeah I got a 4.

Now we were in the daily sunday comp and with another member (good lad). This bloke starts calling him out and old mate would double down and be like nah I got a four, they gimmies. Other member wasn't standing for it.

He must have been fluffed because he missed a few drives with snap hook (tension?) And off he went to find the ball. Must have been 3 holes that he found his ball after we stopped looking for it in clearings and no issue getting to the green.

Recently spoke to another member there and apparently there is a handful of "cheats' and no one wants to play with them. Can only imagine he is one of them.

Made the round just not enjoyable. Here I am battling to get myself a good score and 3 putting regularly while he gives himself up and downs each time.
Mark Allen on his pod spoke about gimmes recently. Surprisingly(to me anyway), he was all for them, even in comp rounds. Reckons they speed up play and the handicaps will take care of themselves, ie. the players who take gimmes will get a handicap that "matches up" with taking those gimmes.

I don't like the idea. Not one bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back