PS5 God of War: Ragnarok - NO Spoilers

Remove this Banner Ad

I've created a thread explicitly for story related and spoilery stuff. Of course it can be hard to separate game from story when talking about it but I think most here understand the gist of it. If you need to talk about a part of the game here that may be tied to the story just be vague. Talking about an aspect of the world, game play etc I don't think is exceptionally spoilery. If you do then I mean this in the nicest possible way but stay off the internet for a little while. Actual names and mentioning of specific story events are strictly off limits and should be in the other thread. If I delete any post here don't take it personally.

Trying to get some armour/materials from the Muspelheim trials... my god, are you supposed to be able to do any of them without having already completed the story and be pretty much at max power/level?

Would be nice if you could get some of the best armour before the game is essentially over lol

I dropped the difficulty to finish them too. Also agree on wishing I could get the best stuff when I could actually use it lol. You get an awesome relic for defeating all of the berserkers but that's probably one of the last things you'll do in the game regardless of difficulty.

Cheers guys. Didn't wanna drop the difficulty as I'm only running the balanced/normal option, but hey if its just the done thing haha. I have managed to beat one of the beserkers though so can hold my head somewhat high :cool:

But yeah its so stupid, hey here's this awesome perk when you've finished the game or cool aesthetic piece when the story is over and there are no more cut scenes :drunk:

Cheers guys. Didn't wanna drop the difficulty as I'm only running the balanced/normal option, but hey if its just the done thing haha. I have managed to beat one of the beserkers though so can hold my head somewhat high :cool:

But yeah its so stupid, hey here's this awesome perk when you've finished the game or cool aesthetic piece when the story is over and there are no more cut scenes :drunk:
New game plus patch will come out eventually & you can play it again. You can also transmog armour once it is maxed out which I love as Kratos seems weird in full body stuff.

I got the Plat last night. 55 hours total, the last Beserker Boss & other end game content Boss are pretty tough without the right setup. I had to work for it even at lower difficulty.

Dodge and block are your best friends.

26 hours in and I am still trying to remember to block stuff other than the yellow circles.
I kept trying to parry everything and kept getting hammered. Once I started just blocking my fights have gone a lot better.

Finished last night, 43 hours. Will do some further cleanup to try and get to 100%, I don't think it'll take me more than a few hours, if that.

I went through after finishing last night and cleaned up a bunch of areas in about an hour.

Man, what a game. Definitely took a bit to get going, but once it did, absolutely incredible.

I've seen people complaining about Kratos' personality change from the old series to the new, and I'm baffled. This is clearly the right move.

While the story of the past games were there and definitely really well told and really fun. Kratos had no personality, there was no depth and he just slaughtered his way through everything with zero remorse, zero care and zero development.

The scene where Atreus embraces Kratos after he comes back from screwing up the Garm thing and had the lip quiver and looked like he was ready to cry, was so perfectly done.

Also to go from stoic, know-it-all, to "ok I understand that I don't know it all, and what I believe can be wrong" was spot on too.

Some of the side mission stuff, holy s**t, absolutely huge. The one late in the game, just sprawls and goes on and on and on. It's insanely huge for something that has the potential to be missed.

As has been mentioned in this thread, I loved the humour, the back and forth between characters as well. The dialogue was really well managed too, I think keeping it modern helps far more with the dialogue over trying to keep it set in the "time period" and it allows for far more personality to be injected in each character. Odin and Thor were particular standouts of the newbies.

Great game overall, very keen to see what's next in terms of whether they continue the series in someway or go away from it now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was a discussion on here a few days after launch.

This is a hard one. It's common in these big Sony games and I think it makes it very organic. However it's a video game and at some point there is a boundary that cannot be crossed and for me these games (God of War Ragnarok, TLOU, Uncharted and Horizon) are crossing it. It's funny how everyone takes it differently too. For example my bro in law has exactly the same criticisms of this game as me. However for him he still thinks it's one of the greatest things ever and has already started his second play through, where as for me it was enough to be a little sour. This is why I find it hard to argue about what someone else thinks of a video game because it's all very subjective. And I know that's counterintuitive of being on a forum 😂

I think the Uncharted games where not bad in that instance where they would wait until they realised I had no idea where to go and the hint button would come up. At time I have found it more confusing as I am off wondering in a different direction and they point out where I should be looking. Then they off an follow me and I have no idea where they were actually looking.

The hand holding reduced to nearly nothing after a while though. Was stuck on one puzzle for quite a while almost begging them to give me a clue.

Great game. I've played it through twice now (first time was on Balance and second on GMGOW).

I find it really hard to compare the combat of Ragnarok to 2018. It has most definitely stepped it up a level and I think overall the combat is better in Ragnarok. The Draupnir Spear is badass and having three weapon options makes you feel like you have a bit more freedom in approaching fights. On the downside, the bullshit factor has been ramped up, and is more noticeable at the higher difficulty levels. Specifically, getting ganked by enemies at once (ranged + melee) where they may be offscreen and give little warning, means more deaths that feel cheap, and the combat isn't really optimised for managing the environment 360 degrees around you. For example, Kratos can't actually turn left or right; you can only spin the camera to turn his direction, and this means changing your focus takes more time even if you increase the camera rotation speed. Having a 3rd person perspective that's kind of tight beyond Kratos' shoulder also means the field of view isn't set up to manage what's around you as say the traditional games. You can still git gud and overcome them, but to come back to my point, you'll die along the way and feel like the death wasn't fully earned.

Overall I still think the combat is better than 2018 because it's so damn fun and there's heaps of variety, especially with enemies, attacks, combos and finishers, but it's less "fair" in some instances.

Regarding the bosses, I don't think the Beserkers quite match the awesomeness of the Valks, but they're still satisfying to grind and overcome.

Gna, the new Valk queen, was a really good challenge, and almost as difficult as Sigrun was, who I reckon is the most difficult boss (including optionals) in the whole series.

Funnily enough, the most difficult mandatory boss IMO comes from GOW3 - that dang scorpion queen. Oh boy that gave me some grief.

Thor is an incredible character and I thought SMS absolutely nailed him. The final battles against Thor and Odin were a bit underwhelming. I guess I expected more phases and a more inspiring set of backdrops for those particular fights, but it is what it is.

Solid game. 8.5/10 for me.

The hand holding reduced to nearly nothing after a while though. Was stuck on one puzzle for quite a while almost begging them to give me a clue.
I'm surprised they didn't just make an option in the menu to set the timer for hints or add a hint command button. You can get Atreus to fire an arrow, why can't I ask him for his opinion on opening a door?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back