List Mgmt. Geoff Walsh | Returns to NMFC for a short-term advisory role

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Sonja's end of season email is about the best we'll get in terms of the Walsh report being released to the members. I would have liked a bit more info as to what else has been implemented under Walsh's recommendation. Whilst I can accept that we'll never get names or even departments of the club that let us down I would have liked some info as to where we went wrong.

Last edited:
Mcpherson came over on a greater role. Jmac promoted after Laura Kane left iirc, and back down again now if I remember reading correctly.

Worth mentioning it's not necessarily the case that individually these were bad decisions or that they were necessarily promoted above their capabilities. But if you have too many people doing new, and harder, roles all at the same time during a period of mass change and challenge... Wouldn't take much for the wheels to start coming off would it? Throw in the fact that Paul Roos was the bloke that was responsible for ensuring people's roles were well defined and that the communication lines throughout the football department were working...

Rumours of Amarfio "meddling" at lower levels aren't particularly shocking at the end of the day. There probably were a lot of spot fires and departments needing assistance.
Rereading what I just wrote... Is it any wonder it's been strongly rumoured Noble became an authoritarian prick? He was probably the only one in the football department that could see the minor mistakes everyone else was making, then became blind to his own as a result.

So noble deflecting blame from his coaching and manoeuvring to give the arse to a bloke who was literally just made a life member of the club and spoken of glowingly by the captain, b&f winner and multiple players off mic was …

Good?
Nope not at all, and he got probably what he deserved.

However, that department along with every other department with football outputs should have been looked at. I’m simply saying he was a big part of the crapfest over the last two years but he wouldn’t be the only issue.

But take it how you like

How quickly some of you have turned sour on the club after all of the positive spirit that emanated from the Clarko announcement. Such negativity is no good for your soul.

It's a joke Joyce.

Do ya think anyone imagined the plan and recommendations was actually just to sack people?

Come on.

It's a joke Joyce.

Do ya think anyone imagined the plan and recommendations was actually just to sack people?

Come on.
I’m a negative campaigner. You’re a negative campaigner. We’re all just a bunch of negative campaigners!

I think Sonja's end of season email is about the best we'll get in terms of the Walsh report being released to the members. I would have liked a bit more info as to what else has been implemented under Walsh's recommendation. Whilst I can accept that we'll never get names or even departments of the club that let us down I would have liked some info as to where we went wrong.

Seems like Noble didn't really adjust to being coach instead of footy boss, understood all the problems in the club (fitness, recruiting etc) but then reported to the board and sidelined McPherson a bit who should have been his boss? One would have to accept to some degree the rumours about not connecting with the players - and ? other staff - also (it's hard to say how much these rumours are just looking for an easy answer).

The dynamic between Noble as coach and Rawlings + McPherson as footy bosses seem chaotic in general.

Then as has been touched on you have all these people in roles without experience in those roles: Noble, Rawlings, Luff, Macmillan, Maynard etc.

Interesting Sonja notes the three groups receiving positive and negative feedback were the playing list, coaching and list management. As you say we'll never know the full details of that. Particularly re: the players would be interesting

Seems like Noble didn't really adjust to being coach instead of footy boss, understood all the problems in the club (fitness, recruiting etc) but then reported to the board and sidelined McPherson a bit who should have been his boss? One would have to accept to some degree the rumours about not connecting with the players - and ? other staff - also (it's hard to say how much these rumours are just looking for an easy answer).

The dynamic between Noble as coach and Rawlings + McPherson as footy bosses seem chaotic in general.

Then as has been touched on you have all these people in roles without experience in those roles: Noble, Rawlings, Luff, Macmillan, Maynard etc.

Interesting Sonja notes the three groups receiving positive and negative feedback were the playing list, coaching and list management. As you say we'll never know the full details of that. Particularly re: the players would be interesting
The point you make about most of the footy dept having no experience in the role they were given is a very strong one; you can do that with one or two in a leadership team, but not the whole group

What Geoff Walsh was able to do so well was to get people to talk candidly in a relatively short space of time.

The Board didn't have access to all the views Walsh eeked out and reportedly didn't know just how alarming Noble's behaviour was and had become. Nothing like his press conferences apparently. It meant that beyond the performances, Sonja became aware just how rotten things had become, and how much work the club needed to do to address the disenchantment (even with Noble gone).

The Board all have full time jobs - they don't have the time to go talking to all players and staff at length in a quick time frame. The players and staff may not have opened up to them too. Yes they could've just made the decision to sack Noble without having all the intel but they wouldn't have heard about everything. So getting Walsh in was the right decision and not a waste of money at all.

People have said that no matter what Noble did, the players should've delivered a higher level of performance. But senior coaches don't get paid as much as they do to then not significantly impact performance. Otherwise why waste $$$ on them. By and large, our players were trying 100%. At the same time, Noble had lost them.

It is absolutely possible for players to give professional effort but not believe in the coach, be confused by his messages and not believe he's capable. And they had every reason to - he had no experience as an AFL coach, was becoming weirder and more erratic and was blaming everyone but himself.

Clarko will be hard, some players will cop it from him and won't like it but they'll always still believe he knows what he's doing.

Last edited:
What Geoff Walsh was able to do so well was to get people to talk candidly in a relatively short space of time.

The Board didn't have access to all the views Walsh eeked out and reportedly didn't know just how alarming Noble's behaviour was and had become. Nothing like his press conferences apparently. It meant that beyond the performances, Sonja became aware just how rotten things had become, and how much work the club needed to do to address the disenchantment (even with Noble gone).

The Board all have full time jobs - they don't have the time to go talking to all players and staff at length in a quick time frame. The players and staff may not have opened up to them too. Yes they could've just made the decision to sack Noble without having all the intel but they wouldn't have heard about everything. So getting Walsh in was the right decision and not a waste of money at all.

People have said that no matter what Noble did, the players should've delivered a higher level of performance. But senior coaches don't get paid as much as they do to then not significantly impact performance. Otherwise why waste $$$ on them. By and large, our players were trying 100%. At the same time, Noble had lost them.

It is absolutely possible for players to give professional effort but not believe in the coach, be confused by his messages and not believe he's capable. And they had every reason to - he had no experience as an AFL coach, was becoming weirder and more erratic and was blaming everyone but himself.

Clarko will be hard, some players will cop it from him and won't like it but they'll always still believe he knows what he's doing.

An inexperienced coach can "lose the players" when losses mount up. So can an experienced coach, even a premiership coach. Look at Pagan at Carlton. He had players deliberately throwing games to get him sacked for hecks sake. The common denominator is the losing games part. Everyone comes under the pump and behaviour can become erratic as the losing streak extends and pressure mounts to an unsustainable degree.

It's quite possible that either of our last two coaches could have had a better experience in the job if they'd landed at a different club. Look at Craig Macrae as an example. It's not just one thing that has made his debut year a success while the likes of Noble and Rutten have been given the arse. And at the same time, Noble and Rutten's jobs had become untenable, no doubt about that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An inexperienced coach can "lose the players" when losses mount up. So can an experienced coach, even a premiership coach. Look at Pagan at Carlton. He had players deliberately throwing games to get him sacked for *s sake. The common denominator is the losing games part. Everyone comes under the pump and behaviour can become erratic as the losing streak extends and pressure mounts to an unsustainable degree.

It's quite possible that either of our last two coaches could have had a better experience in the job if they'd landed at a different club. Look at Craig Macrae as an example. It's not just one thing that has made his debut year a success while the likes of Noble and Rutten have been given the arse. And at the same time, Noble and Rutten's jobs had become untenable, no doubt about that.
Yeah too convenient to blame it all on Noble regardless of how s**t he may have been in reality and seriously who knows other than those directly involved and FWIW we haven’t heard his side of the story.

IMO Clarkson will have identified and weeded out the malcontents by this time next year, both players and staff so will be very interesting to reflect on Noble then methinks

Maybe Noble slowly lost his mind.

It happens in a high pressure environment coaching a team getting belted every week.
Training wheels (Paul Roos) came off a year earlier than expected. It's interesting to think how different things might have been if he wasn't slumming it up poolside in Hawaii.

Training wheels (Paul Roos) came off a year earlier than expected. It's interesting to think how different things might have been if he wasn't slumming it up poolside in Hawaii.
The appointment was sound until we never actually utilised much of what he brings.

He hasn't had the impact he had at Melbourne and that for me is a huge cross for the Roos appointment.

Zoom calling is like breathing. It doesn't take much effort to click a few buttons and talk.

Pull the plug.

at least this indicates a problem that has been identified as need for change
LOL. I've been saying that for years. Probably as long as I've been posting here. Many of our biggest issues are above the shoulders and have been since before our last few seasons of finals.

His game plan fundamentally sucked. He could've had the best mentor in the world and the basics of that game plan would have still caused problems.

The difference with Patch is eye opening imo.
And to be honest, Patch didn't really have to do much other than strip back a lot of it and introduce some free flowing footy.

I think Noble had a emphasis on ball control and movement but we lacked direction. Players didn't know where to go, leading patterns were messy and defensive transition was shocking to say the least.

The most glaring issue was our inability to close off the kick in exit. At nearly every opportunity there was a loose opposition player ready to run through the corridor unopposed. A brisk jog turned into a hard gut run and that was enough to get separation. Almost like the coaches and players were asleep.

There was just no cohesion and players trying hard for nothing. It was so painful to watch it unfold from the wing because you see everything. It's remarkable we even won a game under Patch because those beltings would've placed some demons in a few of the boys.

And to be honest, Patch didn't really have to do much other than strip back a lot of it and introduce some free flowing footy.

I think Noble had a emphasis on ball control and movement but we lacked direction. Players didn't know where to go, leading patterns were messy and defensive transition was shocking to say the least.

The most glaring issue was our inability to close off the kick in exit. At nearly every opportunity there was a loose opposition player ready to run through the corridor unopposed. A brisk jog turned into a hard gut run and that was enough to get separation. Almost like the coaches and players were asleep.

There was just no cohesion and players trying hard for nothing. It was so painful to watch it unfold from the wing because you see everything. It's remarkable we even won a game under Patch because those beltings would've placed some demons in a few of the boys.
100%

The worst was the Bulldogs game in his first season. Chipping it around the half back line. Dogs just had to sit back until we made an error. Rinse and repeat. Part of me died that day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back