News & Events General Tennis News

Remove this Banner Ad

What do we think about the potential Saudi Arabia Masters 1000 events at the start of the season?

Obviously, this will hurt the summer of tennis here which would suck a lot. They're going to follow the money obviously but this still sucks.

AO will never move a week later as it probably costs them to do more to do that than the loss of those week 1 events.

Doha is also going to be a 500 event in 2025 so who know what the start of the year will look like in 2025. Enjoy this summer folks
Absolutely hate it. It’s going to kill off the Aussie swing. Given 1000 events are mandatory (unless you hit certain requirements ala Djokovic), no big names will be in Brisbane, Adelaide or anywhere else, thats if they’re even held. I guess they could still have strong women‘s fields, but this is going to do a lot of damage to the Aussie swing. It sucks. Again thinking with their wallets and not the players best interests.

Doubt it will have much impact if it's a reduced draw for the Saudi 1000. You never got a huge swathe of top ranked players in the Aussie lead up tournaments - At the end of the day, the top players will be at the Australian Open.

Sportswashing is overrated policy. Can't wait til the Saudis reliase this and stop spending an ungodly amount on sport.

You can dress a pig however much you want, a pig is still a pig.

Hope this doesnt happen for obvious reasons. Who knows with the amount of money be thrown around. Be stupid though. Tough on the players to travel that much just before a slam. I know Dubai was a thing for a long time but at least that wasn't a 1000 event and a lot of players live or train in the UAE

TBH do you really think the players want a Masters 1000 at the beginning of the year when they haven't had any matches for a few weeks and are not match fit. The only player that would go would be Nick as his season finishes really early.

Saw this on Oz Bargain

[VIC] Rod Laver, Margaret Court and John Cain Arena Australian Open Tickets from $29, 4-5pm Today (30/11) @ Ticketmaster

Quite Cheap tickets when Ground Passes are normally $49.

limited to one hour. If I could get time off work, maybe I would. But seems a lot of trouble to sort out.

Saw this on Oz Bargain

[VIC] Rod Laver, Margaret Court and John Cain Arena Australian Open Tickets from $29, 4-5pm Today (30/11) @ Ticketmaster

limited to one hour. If I could get time off work, maybe I would. But seems a lot of trouble to sort out.

They had this last week as well and I forgot about it. I thought it might of been Black Friday related.

I'll see if I remember today

Saw this on Oz Bargain

I’m in Adelaide yet bought a ticket last week in the off chance I happen to go over. Was planning on buying some more today but I was caught up at work and totally forgot :( So I’ll probably just sell my ticket now and not worry about it.

Your last sentence sums it up for me. Just a lot of trouble organising flights, accomodation, time off work. I’ll probably just go to the Adelaide tournament even though the field will probably suck. Shame as those deals were so good.

Got Night 8 tickets for $79. Those seats are $189 these days, just insanity.

I have a feeling they might have a couple more of these as we get closer.

Hi all.

I'm taking a holiday to Brisbane and Gold Coast from 30th Dec-15th Jan. Rafa must of known I was coming since he now also wants to play in Brisbane over those times.

Anyone have any idea as to which day they would schedule his Round 1 match? Logically it could be either NYD evening Monday (clashing with the Brisbane BBL game) or the following day.

I'm not sure on the exactly politics for sports scheduling over there but if anyone has any inside knowledge as to when they would expect him to play would be great thanks.

I really should get around making an Australian Summer of Tennis Thread 2024. The entry lists for the Aus Open were released yesterday.

No Aussie Women is inside the top 100. That is a big worry. Wozniacki has gotten a deserved WC for the main draw. Former winner and good form last year

The entry list in the mens is stacked. Direct entry atm is stuck at 97.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read an interesting article in The Age newspaper about junior Aussie player Charlie Camus defecting to France and playing under the French flag. His father is French. The French Tennis Federation gave him a better deal that Tennis Australia. His brother Tommy is still playing under TA.

Finally, some common sense regarding night matches.

I like late matches personally. We’re a global tour. People watch at all times of the day.

The real issue is the slowing down of courts and balls that make matches too long (plus people thinking it’s okay to take the full 25 secs after every point).

I wonder if Acapulco gets an exception to the rule. That place is full at midnight

I like late matches personally. We’re a global tour. People watch at all times of the day.

The real issue is the slowing down of courts and balls that make matches too long (plus people thinking it’s okay to take the full 25 secs after every point).

I wonder if Acapulco gets an exception to the rule. That place is full at midnight
the problem is when they start at 11pm and finish at 2am, and then have to come back the next day at 1pm, like Paris, when there is no reason for it to happen. That was Paris and it should never happen in an indoor arena.

Sometimes really late finishes can be helped with the weather. I recall Hobart about 5-6 years ago had matches in the freezing cold in the wee hours on Thursday night due to rain the previous 3 days. they had to play those quarters then. Acapulco should also be an exemption, due to the heat of the day and the culture over there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back