News & Events General Tennis News

Remove this Banner Ad

would kill the Hobart + Adelaide international and Auckland draws and crowds. No weekend final. Instead, it would be played on Friday day in some cases.

Would expect Tennis Melbourne to go right ahead then.
Do you think if TA start the AO on a Saturday that might hamper tournaments in Saudi somewhat. Plus isn't there tournaments already in that part of the world in Feb/March.

Do you think if TA start the AO on a Saturday that might hamper tournaments in Saudi somewhat. Plus isn't there tournaments already in that part of the world in Feb/March.
Yeah, I do. If everything goes forward one day as well, qualies would start on a Sunday the week before. That could hurt tournaments in the first week, especially the ones not in Australia (Hong Kong and Auckland and potentially Saudi). So consider this, so you make the quarters in Saudi (Thursday) and need to make qualies for Aus open, then you got 1 day to travel half the world, arrive Friday night, Saturday morning and then get ready to play on a Sunday, perhaps Monday.

Everything would need to move forward a day to make this work. Seems a lot of effort for one day more. We are already starting the 2024 season in 2023.

WTA stuffed up their relationship with China for a period because of their over-reaction to the Peng Shuai situation and of course they are back in China - Can say that I find it extraordianary that the elder stateswoman in Evert and Navrilitova are trying to dicate to today's players whether the end of season tournament should be played in Saudi Arabia, especially after the debacle of the last two years tournament.. At the end of the day the WTA is struggling to get anywhere near the prizemoney pool of the ATP and needs to make every post a winner.

WTA stuffed up their relationship with China for a period because of their over-reaction to the Peng Shuai situation and of course they are back in China - Can say that I find it extraordianary that the elder stateswoman in Evert and Navrilitova are trying to dicate to today's players whether the end of season tournament should be played in Saudi Arabia, especially after the debacle of the last two years tournament.. At the end of the day the WTA is struggling to get anywhere near the prizemoney pool of the ATP and needs to make every post a winner.
Not sure about that. Agree, the last couple of years have been a disorganised mess, but Saudi's treatment of women (and LGBT) makes it very controversial for them to go there.

Better to just go back to China. That relationship, though troubled, has nothing to do with sex, all to do with politics, which can be ignored a lot easier.

Not sure about that. Agree, the last couple of years have been a disorganised mess, but Saudi's treatment of women (and LGBT) makes it very controversial for them to go there.

Better to just go back to China. That relationship, though troubled, has nothing to do with sex, all to do with politics, which can be ignored a lot easier.

You go where the money is because ultimately women and LGBT community are poorly served in nearly every country in the world. The WTA plays tournaments in other Middle East countries which are not to culturally dissimilar to Saudi Arabia and not a word said . Finally, Evert and Navratilova need to get off their high horse - They should not be putting any pressure on the WTA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting read.

A premium tour, run by the slams and equal prize money for men and women. A longer off-season (big tick for me).

Probably won't get up, because tennis.

Well, probably because of this.

Saudi Arabia launch tennis takeover with $2bn take-it-or-leave-it offer

That option won't be good for tennis in Australia.

Hate it. Hate the Saudi empire trying to take sport with its unlimited supply of oil money. If it happens it will be terrible for the Australian summer of tennis as well.

Well, if I take anything from golf, splitting of the big stars across multiple tours will damage the sport outside the majors but make the majors even more important. As long as the solution has everyone playing on the same tour, that's the best result.

But the pre-AO swing looks f*****. And AO will probably move a week later if the Saudi Masters at the start of the year goes ahead.

Well, if I take anything from golf, splitting of the big stars across multiple tours will damage the sport outside the majors but make the majors even more important. As long as the solution has everyone playing on the same tour, that's the best result.

But the pre-AO swing looks f*****. And AO will probably move a week later if the Saudi Masters at the start of the year goes ahead.
And if oz opens moves , school would have started which means less attendance

Tennis Aus will fight hard to keep it the same. They saw what happened when they delayed it by a week or 2 during covid. I know, covid hurt it. But didn't feel right.

You think the Saudis would learn that taking over a sport makes more enemies than friends. It would be better to try and get the end-of-year champs and the longer off-season would allow more crappy exhibitions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back