News & Events General Tennis News

Remove this Banner Ad

And bumped the Adelaide International back a week meaning a far weaker field. Disappointed.

Usually that week before for the WTA is pretty strong, not so much the men's though. Adelaide has had it good with the two weeks of events the last two years.

Usually that week before for the WTA is pretty strong, not so much the men's though. Adelaide has had it good with the two weeks of events the last two years.
Yeah this year it was strong on paper until a few pulled out late and from memory both SF’s were walkovers. Brisbane will be strong and Adelaide will get the weaker of the 500 fields. Mens will be pretty ordinary as expected. Yeah we’ve had it pretty good but I’m greedy lol

Wow

4007FFE4-A4B6-486A-80C8-7CE43CC16C73.png
The Sunday start increases the number of AO sessions in the three arenas from 47 to 52. The day session at Rod Laver Arena and Margaret Court Arena will feature a minimum of two matches, down from three, to limit the potential of late finishes. Night sessions will continue to feature a minimum of two matches and the John Cain Arena schedule also remains the same.

Sooooo…reduction of cost of tickets? Yeah fat chance. So they’ll schedule 2 matches and only add another if they’re blowouts?? Which is pretty much every session on days 1-6 is.

And they’re pretending like all of this is to alleviate late night matches. It’s all about $$$ let’s get real.

Yeah, the 2 day matches and not reducing ticket prices is (at least slightly) is really crappy. But not surprising in any way (especially given how well last AO went). Not sure why you would go to a day session for the same price.

I like the Sunday start though, surprised it took them this long to do it.

I think most tournaments would want their final on Saturday, so players can get to Melbourne at least a day in advance. What date is the Brisbane tournament? I still think there will be late matches. What happens if the two matches on the main court are over within four hours?

I think most tournaments would want their final on Saturday, so players can get to Melbourne at least a day in advance. What date is the Brisbane tournament? I still think there will be late matches. What happens if the two matches on the main court are over within four hours?
Yep. Let’s say 11-12:30 women’s match. Men’s match 1-3. Do they put another match on or say you’ve had your two, we don’t want to risk the third delaying the night session? I think there’s hardly ever going to be a time they add a third, only if someone retired or something.

Also sucks for Adelaide International too as what players are going to want to participate so late heading into AO?

I like the Sunday start at the French, the first 2 days are too packed. But this really does change things a lot.

Yep. Let’s say 11-12:30 women’s match. Men’s match 1-3. Do they put another match on or say you’ve had your two, we don’t want to risk the third delaying the night session? I think there’s hardly ever going to be a time they add a third, only if someone retired or something.

Also sucks for Adelaide International too as what players are going to want to participate so late heading into AO?

I like the Sunday start at the French, the first 2 days are too packed. But this really does change things a lot.

It'll be a 12pm start on RLA and MCA (like in New York)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The day sessions are never as popular as the night ones.

Could easily have a doubles match as the 3rd match on RLA. Those are a lot more predictable finish times.

part of me loves how packed it is. There is always something on or something you are missing. Used to love just spending all day with 2 or 3 screens going and a twitter feed.

Between the ever present threat of rain and the extreme heat rule you can almost guarantee that matches will get backed up with such a packed schedule in the first few days so I can understand them wanting a solution. I'm ambivalent about it starting on Sunday but I think they tournament is too stretched out in the second week so I would have squeezed up that schedule in order to gain some leeway for the first week. I doubt the players would like that though and I'm sure there are financial implications as well so that's never going to happen.

part of me loves how packed it is. There is always something on or something you are missing. Used to love just spending all day with 2 or 3 screens going and a twitter feed.

Easily my favourite part of the tournament is the first 4 or 5 days when everything is happening

Also, there is going to be a 400-capacity bar overlooking court 6 this year....

I can not see any issue coming from that whatsoever. Careful scheduling will be required one thinks.
What the actual heck? Is this a tennis tournament or are we just catering to the people who come for the vibe and not tennis? What could possibly go wrong with this court… better make it just Aussie scrubs or something.

What the actual heck? Is this a tennis tournament or are we just catering to the people who come for the vibe and not tennis? What could possibly go wrong with this court… better make it just Aussie scrubs or something.

I am not sure where court 6 is. But you just know they are copying Golf here where they have a party hole.

I think with the right players, it should be ok....... Not something I would like mind you and something I will steer well clear from.

I mean it's Court 6, I don't think the idea is to have a party hole (like in golf). It is to have a place to hang out with a drink and watch the tennis. After the first couple of day, it'll be doubles matches anyway apart from the first 2 days.

Court 6 is sort of behind Show Court 3, the one next to that Beach area they have had the last couple of years.

I mean it's Court 6, I don't think the idea is to have a party hole (like in golf). It is to have a place to hang out with a drink and watch the tennis. After the first couple of day, it'll be doubles matches anyway apart from the first 2 days.

Court 6 is sort of behind Show Court 3, the one next to that Beach area they have had the last couple of years.
Such a crap court, they usually use court 7 for the Aussies in the early rounds, they could have put it near there, but i still dont like the idea

What do we think about the potential Saudi Arabia Masters 1000 events at the start of the season?

Obviously, this will hurt the summer of tennis here which would suck a lot. They're going to follow the money obviously but this still sucks.

AO will never move a week later as it probably costs them to do more to do that than the loss of those week 1 events.

Doha is also going to be a 500 event in 2025 so who know what the start of the year will look like in 2025. Enjoy this summer folks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back