Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So I decided that unlike my normal diets, where i crash to 1200 calories a day or some s**t, I would give 2000 calories a day a go.

Something I could manage to eat a fair bit, and not feel like i am starving all day.

8kgs down this month. That used to take me the 1200 calories a day approach to lose, but this time I just lost the same amount :)

8kg overall or just this month? (I'm assuming overall, it's only been two weeks ha ha)

Yeah I went off carbs for about 6 months, lost heaps but did feel a bit weak at times, the hunger didn't bother me as much.

Since I've added carbs and eating slightly more (don't count cals, CBF) and I've put on 5kg but it's been a bit of muscle. Feel stronger and more energy, and I think it's more sustainable.

8kg overall or just this month? (I'm assuming overall, it's only been two weeks ha ha)

Yeah I went off carbs for about 6 months, lost heaps but did feel a bit weak at times, the hunger didn't bother me as much.

Since I've added carbs and eating slightly more (don't count cals, CBF) and I've put on 5kg but it's been a bit of muscle. Feel stronger and more energy, and I think it's more sustainable.

Month (Dec 15 onwards)

Carbs and all, just trying to hit 2000 a day. Had a few big nights on the piss with junk, pizzas here and there and it seems to be leveling out good

Yeah getting off a no carb diet is 100% the best decision. Makes little to no sense for people to be restricting that

I think it helps to give you a bit of a head start on weight loss, and meal replacements as well. But you shouldn't do it long term, maybe a month or a few months to get you going losing kegs. Hard training no doubt helps you when getting back on the carbs as well i spose.

Month (Dec 15 onwards)

Carbs and all, just trying to hit 2000 a day. Had a few big nights on the piss with junk, pizzas here and there and it seems to be leveling out good

Nice one, and it's good you've done it and had a few blowouts, means that it's probably doable long term.

I think it helps to give you a bit of a head start on weight loss, and meal replacements as well. But you shouldn't do it long term, maybe a month or a few months to get you going losing kegs. Hard training no doubt helps you when getting back on the carbs as well i spose.

Nice one, and it's good you've done it and had a few blowouts, means that it's probably doable long term.

I wouldn't do it at all to be honest. It doesn't matter whether it's carbs, fat or protein. The only restriction that leads to weight loss is calories and taking out the bodies primary source of energy is just going to lead to you feeling like s**t for no reason, particularly during your actual workout

I wouldn't do it at all to be honest. It doesn't matter whether it's carbs, fat or protein. The only restriction that leads to weight loss is calories and taking out the bodies primary source of energy is just going to lead to you feeling like s**t for no reason, particularly during your actual workout

That’s fair enough. Surprisingly I’ve learnt that exercise can really help you lose weight and you can even eat carbs ha ha

This what the main thing it took me this long to realise. I can eat carbs, as long as i move more and stay in a reasonable deficit, I will be fine!

Best thing is i feel great before workouts. On 1200-1500 cals, I am just depleted and hungry all the time. It just doesn't work

Would love to know where the idea that carbs are bad even comes from because it would definitely be something that a lot of people who are new to fitness have heard

At a guess I would presume it's because people see foods that are high in sugar are very high in carbs and make the connection that carbs are bad rather than sugar is bad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to know where the idea that carbs are bad even comes from because it would definitely be something that a lot of people who are new to fitness have heard

At a guess I would presume it's because people see foods that are high in sugar are very high in carbs and make the connection that carbs are bad rather than sugar is bad
Isnt Atkins no (or low) carb?

I recall it being all the rage like 10-15 years ago (Mean Girls has a whole bit in it about a character cutting carbs).

There was this whole "lean meat/protein good, starchy carbs/bad" dichotomy, i dont know who started it but it was a real thing.

had a few weeks holiday on the road so no lifting and i was lazy and there was no running during that time. did get a few day hikes done though and a bit of walking so not all bad

been pulling up well after some compound lifts this week, didnt bother with any accessory stuff this week. have knocked out a couple of 5k's as well

feels good getting back into it

had a few weeks holiday on the road so no lifting and i was lazy and there was no running during that time. did get a few day hikes done though and a bit of walking so not all bad

been pulling up well after some compound lifts this week, didnt bother with any accessory stuff this week. have knocked out a couple of 5k's as well

feels good getting back into it
i did squats that night and bruh.... the DOMS

Been on a big Sam Sulek binge so it's given me the motivation to ramp up the gym and try to keep the cals in check.

Amazing how that guy's following has exploded, I've been thinking like why exactly?

Whilst not really my sort of content he is strangely 'watchable', I think it's because despite his ridiculous physique and steroid use otherwise he's strangely down to earth and relatable for young men? Goes against the grain with very simple low production videos as well.

Amazing how that guy's following has exploded, I've been thinking like why exactly?

Whilst not really my sort of content he is strangely 'watchable', I think it's because despite his ridiculous physique and steroid use otherwise he's strangely down to earth and relatable for young men? Goes against the grain with very simple low production videos as well.
Spot on.

He doesn't promote the roids, but he promotes a good work ethic and a good way to diet (He's improved the bulking)

I have been lazy and not watched him recently, but i need a good binge soon

I don't really watch a lot of his stuff but from what I have seen I would have thought his main appeal (apart from being enormous) is his nonchalant attitude towards how you "should" be doing things. So many influencers out there telling you how you should be doing things with ridiculous levels of micromanaging when there is really a million ways to get from A to B

I just worked it out, during an average week in summer I do 10+ hours of exercise a week consisting of resistance training and swimming.

Granted I have more free time available than most people atm and I also generally enjoy it but surely there is no excuse for everybody to be doing at least like 4+.

Random question but I used to play soccer at a pretty high level. I agreed to come out of retirement and play over 45s. Fitness isn’t great but I can work on that but any tips for getting my feet/balance going? I trained the other night and it was like my feet/legs could’t keep up with my head and I struggled to not stumble.

Random question but I used to play soccer at a pretty high level. I agreed to come out of retirement and play over 45s. Fitness isn’t great but I can work on that but any tips for getting my feet/balance going? I trained the other night and it was like my feet/legs could’t keep up with my head and I struggled to not stumble.

Agility work is key here.

Ladder drills and practicing plyometrics.

Highly also recommend skipping, improves coordination and endurance at the same time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back