Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you recording roughly what you are doing so you can tell for sure if you are getting stronger or not?
Yes mate, keeping track on the main lifts and my runs. definitely improving but very slow going with the weights
I definitely dont eat enough as suggested above. think i might hit my weight loss sooner rather than later so will load up then

Yes mate, keeping track on the main lifts and my runs. definitely improving but very slow going with the weights
I definitely dont eat enough as suggested above. think i might hit my weight loss sooner rather than later so will load up then

Running definitely has an impact on your ability to build strength rapidly IMO, especially in the lower body.

The old rule of thumb is that whichever is your priority is what you should do first on days you double up; run first if you want to run well, lift first if you want to lift well.

Trying to gain strength, gain endurance and lose weight all at the same time is quite a big demand on the body too, don't rush it by under-eating.

Running definitely has an impact on your ability to build strength rapidly IMO, especially in the lower body.

The old rule of thumb is that whichever is your priority is what you should do first on days you double up; run first if you want to run well, lift first if you want to lift well.

Trying to gain strength, gain endurance and lose weight all at the same time is quite a big demand on the body too, don't rush it by under-eating.
i always work out first, then run after (if on a work out day). did crossfit for a while a few years ago which i really enjoyed so im sort of basing on that a bit re strength then cardio but pushing a bit with both

Yeah the old 'shop around the outside aisles only' is a pretty good rule of thumb really.

Probably the only aisles I go into regularly are the coffee aisle and the ones with the sauces/spices/olive oil/jarred olives etc.

And even then sauces can contain salts and sugars.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just dropping in to say how much I love fitness, it's so good.

I usually train around 10 times a week. For me it's gym / HIIT / running, and then cycling and swimming depending on the time of year. Absolutely love it, would be lost without it.

One thing I'll also add, is give different forms of fitness a try, even if you aren't going to be very good. I did pilates for a while – only guy in the class, was the worst. I also have done different forms of yoga, spin classes, kayaking, etc.

Last edited:
Just dropping in to say how much I love fitness, it's so good.

I usually train around 10 times a week. For me it's gym / HIIT / running, and then cycling and swimming depending on the time of year. Absolutely love it, would be lost without it.

One thing I'll also add, is give different forms of fitness a try, even if you aren't going to be very good. I did pilates for a while – only guy in the class, was the worst. I also have done different forms of yoga, spin classes, kayaking, etc.

But have you tried CrossFit?

But have you tried CrossFit?
I've done something very similar to CrossFit (wasn't CF branded) for around 12 months or so. It was good - intense. Definitely felt like I became stronger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many gyms popping up all over the place.

Saw one with a 1 year membership for $295 is that good? Seems good, dunno the fine print though.

Wouldn't mind joining but my motivation dips and dives depending on everything and in past I've joined gyms, been super keen for a few weeks then as soon as I stop I don't go for months.

Need to make it a lifestyle change, as in routinely go like if it was work or whatever

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Saw one with a 1 year membership for $295 is that good? Seems good, dunno the fine print though.

Wouldn't mind joining but my motivation dips and dives depending on everything and in past I've joined gyms, been super keen for a few weeks then as soon as I stop I don't go for months.

Need to make it a lifestyle change, as in routinely go like if it was work or whatever

Seems pretty good. I'm paying $10 per week for a Zap membership

I pay 25 a week at my (boxing) gym, cheap as chips i reckon, do three sessions a week so I get good value.

Resistance weight training done properly I reckon easily gives the most bang for your buck as in positives health wise given the amount of time and effort involved.

I'd imagine even if someone could only work out twice a week full body for an hour but do thjs consistently they would still see pretty sold results as long as they were smart sticking the better compond lift exercises.

Resistance weight training done properly I reckon easily gives the most bang for your buck as in positives health wise given the amount of time and effort involved.

I'd imagine even if someone could only work out twice a week full body for an hour but do thjs consistently they would still see pretty sold results as long as they were smart sticking the better compond lift exercises.

Resistance training is the most protective form of exercise for the most amount of illnesses/conditions.
Iirc grip strength is the best single predictive tool for just about every cause of death imaginable.

Resistance training is the most protective form of exercise for the most amount of illnesses/conditions.
Iirc grip strength is the best single predictive tool for just about every cause of death imaginable.

time to get a grip strength tool and sit on the couch eating hamburgers :thumbsu:

I love my weekly swims. Even if i feel like **** as soon as i jump in it energises me.

Now doing 2.5km a sesh 15-20m (in one breath) then walk and stretch 15-20m then one breath swim to the end (50m pool) x 50

Just loosens all my stiff muscles whilst getting a great workout - mind you im a slow swimmer (i don't kick as my legs are stuffed hence i do the 15-20m of walking and stretching in water) and don't go budgie smugglers :)

I reckon in time i could do 25m in one breath - certainly helped - lost 20kg this year and 8 inches off my chest. Still got a ways to go but happy with my achievements considering.

Eating better and sleeping better. Water is my happy place/ My therapist was right (as was Happy Gilmore). Find your happy place (in terms of exercise) and JUST DO IT

Remove this Banner Ad

Back