Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I pay $225 for 3 months up front so $18.75 a week.
I've got two gyms nearby within walking distance. One is trash and they just upped their prices on the "promise" of upgrading which they mentioned to me 4 years ago. I switched and the new gym has 4 squat racks and a heap of gear. They're upgrading all their cardio equipment and revamping the place. Their cardio equipment is garbage but it's got a fresh feel.

I don't get how footballers, boxers and other elite athletes can get through week long training camps.

I'm at a training camp at the Australian Institute of Sport with Fencing Australia, finished 3 full days and my body is destroyed with another day to go tomorrow.

This is with recovery centre use as well (Normatec, Ice Baths, Heat Pools) plus extended stretching and such.

Really feeling my age currently 😅

I don't get how footballers, boxers and other elite athletes can get through week long training camps.

I'm at a training camp at the Australian Institute of Sport with Fencing Australia, finished 3 full days and my body is destroyed with another day to go tomorrow.

This is with recovery centre use as well (Normatec, Ice Baths, Heat Pools) plus extended stretching and such.

Really feeling my age currently 😅

If people were interested in what a training camp day looks like.

This was me today

7:00-7:20 recovery ice bath
7:30-8:00 breakfast
8:15-9 - Video analysis
9:00-10 Warmup and body activation (Gentle warm up, before developing into sprints, bounds and agility training
10:00-11:00 Strategic and technical training
11:00-12:00 Bout practice (Think one big group, everyone fences each other) - First to 5
12:00-12:20 Cool down, ice baths, hot pool
12:30-1:00 Lunch
1:15-2:15 - Mindset session (Mentality training)
2:30-4:00 - Warmup and strength training
4:00-5:00 - Strategic and technical training
5:00-6:30 bout practice, first to 15 bouts
6:30-7:30 - Cool down, stretch, recovery room (Normatec, Ice bath, River pool, heat pool)
7:30-8:30 dinner, relax

3974 calories burnt so far today 🫠

If people were interested in what a training camp day looks like.

This was me today

7:00-7:20 recovery ice bath
7:30-8:00 breakfast
8:15-9 - Video analysis
9:00-10 Warmup and body activation (Gentle warm up, before developing into sprints, bounds and agility training
10:00-11:00 Strategic and technical training
11:00-12:00 Bout practice (Think one big group, everyone fences each other) - First to 5
12:00-12:20 Cool down, ice baths, hot pool
12:30-1:00 Lunch
1:15-2:15 - Mindset session (Mentality training)
2:30-4:00 - Warmup and strength training
4:00-5:00 - Strategic and technical training
5:00-6:30 bout practice, first to 15 bouts
6:30-7:30 - Cool down, stretch, recovery room (Normatec, Ice bath, River pool, heat pool)
7:30-8:30 dinner, relax

3974 calories burnt so far today 🫠

Hardest part for me would be keeping up calories.
Without chowing down on Maccas and pizza every meal no way I’d be able to get to 3900cal.

Hardest part for me would be keeping up calories.
Without chowing down on Maccas and pizza every meal no way I’d be able to get to 3900cal.

Yeah no way I made it.

Supplements - Magnesium, creatine, L-Carnatine, arachidonic acid, Turkesterone

Typical day of food at camp (yesterday)

Breakfast Musali, yoghurt, toast with Vegemite, two eggs and beans for breakfast with an up and go

Banana snack

Lunch coconut ginger chicken on rice with veg, electrolytes.

Bananas and nuts afternoon snack.

Protein shake after fencing afternoon (Oat milk, cold brew coffee, 2 X scoops protein, half frozen banana, BCAA's, glutamine, collagen)

Dinner: Tuna Pasta Bake, Beef Bourguignon, Vegetables - Dessert: Chocolate mousse (low fat) with berry compot.

After dinner snack: Protein Chocolate Milk

Usually I struggle to eat that much, but have eaten like a king at this camp, the AIS food is great.

I've been plugging along at the gym about 6 days a week eating a fair bit of s**t. Nothing ridiculous, but way too many carbs.

Pushing 115kgs. I had never gone over 107 in my life and have put on 20kgs in a year.

That said, gym is great. I am lifting heavier and that's a positive.

Been on a big Sam Sulek binge so it's given me the motivation to ramp up the gym and try to keep the cals in check.

$33.00 a week direct debit for unlimited Bikram Yoga and Pilates, I go 6 times per week so $5.50 per class.
How do you find Pilates? Thinking of going a couple of times a week to work on flexibility and mobility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you find Pilates? Thinking of going a couple of times a week to work on flexibility and mobility.
Love it, the one I go to is mostly bodyweight stuff like squats, lunges, push ups, burpees. Most classes we use dumbbells, first 10-15 minutes is always core work eg. side planks, moving planks, good for all levels as you are encouraged to modify if finding it too tough.

I like the kneesovertoes guys strengthening protocol, great for flexibility/mobility, here he is with Paul Saladino, the routine starts about a minute in, I do the whole protocol twice and takes me roughly 20 minutes... backwards walking I do outside separately.

Love it, the one I go to is mostly bodyweight stuff like squats, lunges, push ups, burpees. Most classes we use dumbbells, first 10-15 minutes is always core work eg. side planks, moving planks, good for all levels as you are encouraged to modify if finding it too tough.

I like the kneesovertoes guys strengthening protocol, great for flexibility/mobility, here he is with Paul Saladino, the routine starts about a minute in, I do the whole protocol twice and takes me roughly 20 minutes... backwards walking I do outside separately.

Cheers. I've heard about the kneesovertoes guy and been meaning to look into it. Been having a bit of patella tendon pain lately.

I like the look of this!

I'm prone to the occasional bout of patellofemoral pain so I might start giving this a go a couple of times a week and see if it helps.

I like the look of this!

I'm prone to the occasional bout of patellofemoral pain so I might start giving this a go a couple of times a week and see if it helps.

I think he's great, a little bit culty at times but it's pretty easy to implement some of the philosophy behind his exercises without using the actual program.

Some of the focus on pre-hab for smaller muscle groups e.g. rotator cuff or calf complex is so simple when you actually think about it but also usually totally forgotten by everyone.

I've been plugging along at the gym about 6 days a week eating a fair bit of s**t. Nothing ridiculous, but way too many carbs.

Pushing 115kgs. I had never gone over 107 in my life and have put on 20kgs in a year.

Been on a big Sam Sulek binge so it's given me the motivation to ramp up the gym and try to keep the cals in check.

So I decided that unlike my normal diets, where i crash to 1200 calories a day or some s**t, I would give 2000 calories a day a go.

Something I could manage to eat a fair bit, and not feel like i am starving all day.

8kgs down this month. That used to take me the 1200 calories a day approach to lose, but this time I just lost the same amount :)

Maybe not quite what Sam said haha but if you arent at least a least a bit 'apprehensive' before a few of your tough lifts I'd guess that you probably aren't going hard enough.

Maybe not quite what Sam said haha but if you arent at least a least a bit 'apprehensive' before a few of your tough lifts I'd guess that you probably aren't going hard enough.

I always feel I will die benching. Squatting scares me because of failure.

I try going harder now. 100% intensity. 45 min workout, but i need to feel pain and be sweating like a madman

So I decided that unlike my normal diets, where i crash to 1200 calories a day or some s**t, I would give 2000 calories a day a go.

Something I could manage to eat a fair bit, and not feel like i am starving all day.

8kgs down this month. That used to take me the 1200 calories a day approach to lose, but this time I just lost the same amount :)

Sounds much more sustainable than the Biggest Loser style crash diet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back