Geelong to go undefeated in 2024??

Remove this Banner Ad

I think a question should be asked of the Cats, do they genuinely have the worst midfield in the competition?

I'd say certainly bottom 2... Which begs the question, when was the last time a team went deep in September with one of the worst midfields going around? The Tigers were never star studded through the middle in their premiership years but they were a hell of a lot stronger than this.

Is there a quick fix? Holmes is more of an outside player but looked good in the 2nd half on ball, Danger will come back too but he's not the player he once was... Maybe Stewart into the guts is a trigger they need to pull?
Dangerfield was on target for coaches votes the 3rd time of his 4 games before the Carlton hammy. That's not really a drop off. He dropped off between 2019 and 2021 and has been about the same since.

Holmes has picked up coaches votes in 7 of 9 games and looked good when moved to midfield last night (a move made too late).

Conway, Dangerfield, Holmes, Bruhn, Bowes and Parfitt will probably end up our best midfield mix in the latter half of the year. If Bruhn, Bowes and Parfitt find their round 1-7 form, that will make us competitive enough.

For instance HavUEvaSeenTheRain , could you imagine how pathetic it would be if the GFC supporters of BigFooty said the only reason Geelong has lost the past 3 weeks was because of missing players and poor umpiring? That Melbourne, Port and Gold Coast deserved no credit...that the Cats will be back and these games are simply mulligans until the troops return? Spitting venom at Suns supporters rather than acknowledging their brilliant display - "you're no good, that was a fluke"?

Nah, that's weak stuff. If you do this consistently it speaks to being somewhat of a bad loser. They do the exact same stuff they criticise Chris Scott for, so they are hypocrites too
The way supporters act doesn’t discount the fact that teams perform worse as a result of injuries

The way supporters act doesn’t discount the fact that teams perform worse as a result of injuries
Or when their individuals perform worse. Or when the opposition are simply better.

"Oh but our injuries" is the single weakest excuse of the lot, after blaming the umpires.

Control the controllables. Or as supporters, focus on the controllables. Anything else and you are a dweeb that probably uses all manners of cop outs for your own deficiencies in life as well.

Or when their individuals perform worse. Or when the opposition are simply better.

"Oh but our injuries" is the single weakest excuse of the lot, after blaming the umpires.

Control the controllables. Or as supporters, focus on the controllables. Anything else and you are a dweeb that probably uses all manners of cop outs for your own deficiencies in life as well.
Ignoring legitimate reasons for your performance (injuries) makes no sense either. You start seeing problems with the side/list that you already have answers for. The problem is they are out injured.

Ignoring legitimate reasons for your performance (injuries) makes no sense either. You start seeing problems with the side/list that you already have answers for. The problem is they are out injured.
I'm not saying personnel has zero impact. I'm saying using it as a shield and the number one focus (especially on the main board to neutral supporters) is boring, repetitive and a cop out.

There was so much in Geelong's hands the past 3 weeks that they failed to deliver on with players more than capable. Stewart, Cameron, C.Guthrie, Duncan, Stanley, Tuohy, Rohan, Kolo, Bowes, O'Connor, Parfitt and J.Henry don't get a free pass for their past month's decline simply because various combinations of players are missing each week. Bruhn came back and had 11 possessions and that had NOTHING to do with Dangerfield missing.

Our defence was only missing a kid in his 3rd year of AFL games and they collectively had near career-worst games. Imagine me trying to blame the absentee list for that. Nope, not happening. I told Carlton supporters to look at the lack of cop outs when Geelong lost. And we are seeing it.

Obviously the OP is a backfire, but really all Geelong are guilty of is banking their victories early. Poor form and injury has hit but its the right time of year if its going to happen, you don't want this slump in August.

Plenty of quality and most of all a good coach should see them in the finals. It'll be a great gauge of Scott's (yes and his assistants but I think a lot of it is him) quality to see where they finish, if he gets them top 4 you'd have to say he's the best current coach (which is my opinion).

Correct. Apparently pointing that out is the equivalent of regicide to Meowman.

To most supporters it's not an excuse anyway, it's a reason. It doesn't detract from the fact that a team has lost or that they're playing bad footy, but it's still a reason to be optimistic towards to future once those players hopefully return.

Correct. Apparently pointing that out is the equivalent of regicide to Meowman.

To most supporters it's not an excuse anyway, it's a reason. It doesn't detract from the fact that a team has lost or that they're playing bad footy, but it's still a reason to be optimistic towards to future once those players hopefully return.
"Not an excuse, it's a reason" - even a little too on the nose for a politician to get away with.

Reply directly anyway, you coward. You are still reading and responding to every single exchange I am having with other supporters anyway.

No need to shy away big fella.

And yes you have cried relentlessly about injuries, umpiring and "best team lost/should've smashed them" for 4 straight weeks now. I will continue to point this incessant whinging out and you will continue to get annoyed about it, or stop.

"Not an excuse, it's a reason" - even a little too on the nose for a politician to get away with.

Reply directly anyway, you coward. You are still reading and responding to every single exchange I am having with other supporters anyway.

No need to shy away big fella.

And yes you have cried relentlessly about injuries, umpiring and "best team lost/should've smashed them" for 4 straight weeks now. I will continue to point this incessant whinging out and you will continue to get annoyed about it, or stop.

I have to say are you just completely oblivious as to the reason why you guys finished 12th last year. Every other Cats supporter seems to know except for you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously the OP is a backfire, but really all Geelong are guilty of is banking their victories early.
The OP isn't a Geelong supporter. He was mocking us and trying to say reasons "x, y and z" were the only way Geelong hadn't lost a game early.

Majority of cats fans had/have us around the 6th-12th mark. Absolutely no one had us finishing 1st or undefeated (expect Damo Barrett) and that was a completely cooked take.

People need to stop speaking on behalf of Geelong supporters. We can manage just fine.

With everyone else having lost a game in 2024.. the question must be asked, can Geelong go undefeated?? I don't see why not! All the leg ups from the government and AFL have made them far too strong!!

I said it at the time and I'll say it again.. the AFL using their Gold Coast franchise to hand Geelong pick 7 after winning the flag in 2022 was an absolute disgrace! The draft is supposed to be an equalisation measure, and this goes against its purpose!!
Beautiful Moz.

Well.played Sir 💪🏽🙏🏽

True, they certainly got handed a ridiculously soft draw, as usual.
The soft draw also extends to having a six day break to the Suns five day break after the Suns played in Darwin last week. Then what do you know... after playing in Darwin the Cats get a nine day break before having to face the Giants at home who get the standard week.

I will also state it's not a conspiracy but just an inequality in the draw that shouldn't happen.

Aren't we 2-2 against top 8 teams rn with an injury list the length of the Burj Khalifa? While we aren't humming by any stretch I'm not sure I'd call that 'free fall'.

Sure Carlton would be a great side if AFL games only went 20 minutes…

Gone from a premiership favourite to outside the 8, yeah it’s a bit if a free fall at the moment. Even the umpires are jumping off the sinking ship!

I was howled down by Kobe Gryant when I suggested let's wait until Geelong play the likes of Collingwood, Greater Western Sydney, Melbourne, Sydney, Carlton, etc. As I wrote when the streak was 6 games in, Geelong had beaten teams outside the 8, bar Bulldogs at the time who were 8th. Then they defeated Carlton. Well done. Western Bulldogs and Carlton are now outside the 8. You can only defeat who you're fixtured to play, so can't blame Geelong, but they're showing that they're probably a 7th to 11th placed team for mine. Present teams in the 8 need to have their go at playing the bottom clubs now, and they'll pass the Cats. They're lucky they get to play a few of the spuds teams from earlier in the season again, and should make the finals.

In saying that, Geelong match up well v Sydney 🤦‍♂️

I was howled down by Kobe Gryant when I suggested let's wait until Geelong play the likes of Collingwood, Greater Western Sydney, Melbourne, Sydney, Carlton, etc. As I wrote when the streak was 6 games in, Geelong had beaten teams outside the 8, bar Bulldogs at the time who were 8th. Then they defeated Carlton. Well done. Western Bulldogs and Carlton are now outside the 8. You can only defeat who you're fixtured to play, so can't blame Geelong, but they're showing that they're probably a 7th to 11th placed team for mine. Present teams in the 8 need to have their go at playing the bottom clubs now, and they'll pass the Cats. They're lucky they get to play a few of the spuds teams from earlier in the season again, and should make the finals.

In saying that, Geelong match up well v Sydney 🤦‍♂️
We've beaten two teams who were top 8 when we played them (Bulldogs, Blues) and lost to two were top 8 when we played them (Demons, Port). GWS, Sydney, Carlton and Essendon are all coming up fairly soon. So I'd still wait until then to draw any massive conclusions.

We've hit a big rut and needed to snatch one of the close Melbourne/Port games. Now GWS next week becomes a huge test of our character and quality. They have no issues winning down in Geelong, so a win would probably be the scalp we need or else the doubters will rightly be able to double down. It's a long old season but the bleeding has to stop.

The young midfield depth is a problem that would be stressing out the list management team. Knevitt hasn't come on like they maybe hoped, ditto Clark (although he is super young and at least playing seniors), the rest of the kids are largely untried
Miers is getting a decent run through stoppages lately. 4, 3, 5 and 3 clearances against the Lions/Demons/Port/Suns in 4 recent games where he was in midfield more. He's in the Bolton mould more than a contested bull. If we pull the trigger on Mannagh, I expect this gradual midfield integration could become more evident.

We can't be far off pulling the trigger on Holmes, like the second half against Gold Coast. He's been great as a half back this season but is about our only current player who could develop into a Rozee/Butters type midfielder.

The other who we are just starting to trial through there here and there is Mullin. He's raw but is already coming on leaps and bounds compared to his first few games.

If he can put on more size you could see Dempsey switch from wing to stoppages. But we're probably talking more like 2026.

And then of course Bruhn, who was tracking nicely this season (compared to 12 months ago) until his shocker on Friday. Hopefully his tank is building and as retirements roll in his 63% odd game time shifts closer to the standard 80% of first line midfielders.

As soon as Blicavs isn't playing then Knevitt will be an automatic replacement, he just hasn't been given many opportunities at AFL level yet.

Then you mentioned Clark, who is getting rag dolled and will probably take a couple of years to come on.

So Holmes, Miers, Dempsey, Bruhn, Mullin, Knevitt and Clark is looking like our young midfield/wing core going forward.

Undoubtedly we need to get a mature bodied mid in through free agency to help lead this group. It could be a stop gap player (Macrae, Parker) or a longer term solution.

The young midfield depth is a problem that would be stressing out the list management team. Knevitt hasn't come on like they maybe hoped, ditto Clark (although he is super young and at least playing seniors), the rest of the kids are largely untried
Most Cats fans have been screaming our **** off for Knevitt (and a few other younger mids) to get another opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back